Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
***SOLD (first one)***
See latest posts for availability.

---

So, I ended up with a nearly brand new (~3000 miles) "90" pack, v3, manufacture date of August 2018.

It's in perfect shape. Has 83.2 kWh usable (works out to ~270 miles in a P90D, ~292 in a 90D, or 282 in a 90/P90 RWD).

BMS_nominalFullPackEnergyRemaining,83.200
BMS_energyBuffer,4.000

I feel bad breaking this down into modules, so figure I'll check here if anyone wants this thing first.

So, I'm going to throw out a few options:

• Buy the whole pack and do whatever you want with it
    • $24,000 + freight (or come pick it up)
  • I'll upgrade your P85D (L or non-L) to a P90DL, 85D to 90D, 85 to 90, or P85 to P90 at my shop
    • $5000 + your decent condition 85 pack + get your car here and back.
  • I'll upgrade your 60D, 70D, 75D to a 90D; or 60 (sw locked), 70, 75 to a 90:
    • $8000 + your decent condition 70/75 pack + get your car here and back.
    • If you don't have air suspension, add $1500 for upgraded coils
  • I'll upgrade your 60 or 40 (original 2015 or older) to a 90:
    • $16,000 your decent condition 60 pack + get your car here and back.
  • I'll upgrade your 85D to a P90DL, or your 85 to a P90:
    • $11,000 + your 85 pack + your good condition rear motor + get your car here and back.
  • I'll upgrade your 60D, 70D, or 75D to a P90DL:
    • $14,000 + your 85 pack + your small rear motor + get your car here and back.
  • I'll upgrade your 85 to a P90:
    • $11,000 + your 85 pack + your good condition rear motor + get your car here and back.

The sky is kind of the limit here. Can also do some more custom updates... like, a RWD P90++. If the combination you want isn't here, let me know.

Anyway, I need to do something with this pack by about Tuesday. So if no takers by then, it's going to go through my normal processes and be gone forever. I just figured it would be a bit of a waste to not at least offer it to someone who might want it first.

PM me if interested in any of the above. Would need a deal made and arranged as soon as possible.

Edit: Some photos: https://skie.net/uploads/90

Edit: Warranty implications: There would be no more Tesla warranty on the battery pack. They consider it an aftermarket part at that point, and won't touch it. If upgrading performance (non-L to L), technically Tesla could give a hard time on warranty work for the drive unit(s)... but thus far I've not heard of this happening.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good option and we considered it.

Be sure to post again when you have a 100 kWh battery as we might be tempted to go that route one of these days.

I can do this with a 100... unfortunately you'll have to add about $19k to any of the above numbers. The 100 packs are still ridiculously expensive and relatively rare on the salvage market. I've got some evidence to suggest that Tesla does what they can to prevent them from reaching the auctions... no clue what they do with them, though.

Edit: Caveat: RWD 100's aren't a real thing, so doing that upgrade means I'd have to mod and lock your firmware in place forever.

That's the plan! :D

The funny (or ironic) thing about this is that every summer I drive from CT down to a small town near Charlotte, NC for a "laser enthusiast meeting" for a week-long con (playing with lasers is another one of my hobbies)... it's a 12-hour drive each way from here... and that was just TWO WEEKS AGO!! wk057's shop is just 20 minutes away from the venue. Had this happened two weeks ago, I could have hopped over to his shop during lunch to get it done. :rolleyes: But now I have to drive BACK TO N.C. AGAIN next week and back home over two days.

But the cool part is that I did a comparison in abetterrouteplanner between my 85kWh battery and the 90kWh battery, and the same trip (each way) has 50 minutes LESS of charging stops with the 90kWh battery over a 12 hour drive. That's significant!

Also, I think my car will be the only P90DL+. Almost to my dream of having a P100DL+. I just have to wait for the price of 100L packs to come down in price.

Last edited:
Another funny thing about this 'turn of events' is that back in December of 2016, wk057 made this post selling his P85DL+ : P85D w/Ludicrous, fully loaded $99k

And here was the exchange between wk057 and me in that thread. I had no idea at the time that only three months later I would end up buying a different P85D+ (no Ludicrous) specifically because his post got me thinking about the P85D.

Side note: My P85D+ is only 365 VINs younger than Jason's was, otherwise they are completely identical cars.

Holy crap, this is my dream car. Not sure I can come up with the scratch though and sell my current P85+. Yikes.

I'd probably be willing to accept a P85+ plus cash in payment... but I'm not sure if you'd feel too good about it considering the depreciation sledgehammer hit on pre-AP car values :(

That would be really tough to let go of my P85+.. I've done a lot of mods:

Rear Lighted Applique
Front Camera kit
Two-channel dash-cam
Autoflexed
8-year service plan
4-year extended warranty
Un-staggered 21" rims (grey).

We could swap the wheels, but for everything else, I'd have to move all of the mods over, get another full Autoflex, and re-purchase the ESA and service plan.

I've always said that I'll drive this car for many more year before I upgrade, so I get the benefit of years of more advances and innovation before jumping in again. As much as I want a D car with the + suspension and next gen seats, it still has the same 85kwh battery (I'm getting 250 miles@100% on mine, with slightly less mileage).

If I had spare money to just blow, I'd jump on this in an instant.

The funny thing is that I drive down to Conover, NC every August. So close.

Well, I can leave the dash cam if that makes or breaks a deal. :p

The good news is that I bought my current P85D+ for $86k three months later (so $13k less than wk057 was asking for his), and now I have that very rare second chance to capture that "P85D Ludicrous" brass ring (and a small range boost as well). I was 'this close' to spending ~$4k on the refresh bumper update, but I think this is a much better way to go.

Thank you Jason!

I can do this with a 100... unfortunately you'll have to add about $19k to any of the above numbers. The 100 packs are still ridiculously expensive and relatively rare on the salvage market. I've got some evidence to suggest that Tesla does what they can to prevent them from reaching the auctions... no clue what they do with them, though.

Edit: Caveat: RWD 100's aren't a real thing, so doing that upgrade means I'd have to mod and lock your firmware in place forever.

So if the 100's were to be locked the firmware forever, would we still be able to use the superchargers? I'm assuming yes, but just want clarification for when I'll need do this in the future.

Reactions: Guy V
damn 5k...thats a good deAL!

Yes, it is a good deal, but it does come with some level of risk now that I won't have a warranty for the battery and maybe the drive unit. But luckily we don't see that many batteries actually failing.

I leave bright and early tomorrow AM to get to the shop for Thursday.