Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, as @HankLloydRight noted, he's taking the upgrade offer. Congrats :)

So if the 100's were to be locked the firmware forever, would we still be able to use the superchargers? I'm assuming yes, but just want clarification for when I'll need do this in the future.

Currently, using superchargers isn't an issue in this case. I don't foresee it being an issue in the future, either, unless Tesla makes some global dramatic changes to the supercharger protocol. That would likely be a bit tricky, since they'd have to make sure every car eligible for supercharging received such an update, also.

And by "forever" ... technically can be upgraded later, but requires manual patching of any new firmware. So if Tesla did, for example, release an update that broke supercharging... well, I'd have to whip up a patched version for such vehicles.

Again, this is only a limitation on RWD vehicles being upgraded to a 100. AWD vehicles don't need any major hacks to make a 100 work.

Also, for others looking to do upgrades... I do offer them as a normal service, although in many cases I actually try to talk the customer out of doing so because it doesn't make sense. This particular offer was a little outside of the norm, since this pack was perfect for an upgrade and it made sense to offer it as such. Upgrades to a 100 kWh pack are still prohibitively expensive (you should sell or trade your car instead of doing this, IMO... and don't fall for eBay scams). Upgrades to an 85 or 90 from a 40/60/70/75 are the most common ones we've done, and prices vary a bit depending on the exact work needed, condition of the existing pack (core return), etc. Since batteries (particular battery modules) are super popular, we don't tend to keep any in stock ready for upgrades currently (occasionally, but usually not). With an order for an upgrade, we get that into our queue and usually can schedule the actual service within a few weeks.

For many, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade, but it can for some. I usually like to talk/chat/email folks to make sure it's a sensible path before moving forward.

Can do non-P to P upgrades, also, RWD or AWD. Have to also be 85 kWh or higher to do this.

RWD to AWD is technically possible, but you should just sell the car and buy an AWD instead of paying me to do this... would be less expensive.

We've done a few AP1 retrofits, also.

curious, would you take one of the batteries apparently voltage capped by the recent software update?

Probably, but would have to pull the diag data on it first to be sure. So far the ones I've examined can still be repurposed away from the Tesla BMS, with the possible exception of one out of the 16 modules.

Going from 85 to P90 is a common upgrade that you have completed? Do you recondition the Performance drive unit before install? I have lifetime super charging. Foresee any issues?
Thank you

Have done a couple of upgrades to P90. We only use the latest generation performance drive units in those upgrades, so shouldn't have any issues. Nothing we do affects supercharging.

I have been a tesla owner and board member not even 2 years and the enthusiasm and engineering behind members like @HankLloydRight and @wk057 reminds me how outstanding this community is. This thread also made me smile!

I'm more interesting in Jason start solar installations...

P.S. This week, I just picked up my dream P85DL+ ! Being back in the S again is wonderful!

It’s happening! :D

0B61EE54-75B9-45BF-BF6D-268BCBB30A8C.jpeg

So, as @HankLloydRight noted, he's taking the upgrade offer. Congrats :)

Currently, using superchargers isn't an issue in this case. I don't foresee it being an issue in the future, either, unless Tesla makes some global dramatic changes to the supercharger protocol. That would likely be a bit tricky, since they'd have to make sure every car eligible for supercharging received such an update, also.

And by "forever" ... technically can be upgraded later, but requires manual patching of any new firmware. So if Tesla did, for example, release an update that broke supercharging... well, I'd have to whip up a patched version for such vehicles.

Again, this is only a limitation on RWD vehicles being upgraded to a 100. AWD vehicles don't need any major hacks to make a 100 work.

Also, for others looking to do upgrades... I do offer them as a normal service, although in many cases I actually try to talk the customer out of doing so because it doesn't make sense. This particular offer was a little outside of the norm, since this pack was perfect for an upgrade and it made sense to offer it as such. Upgrades to a 100 kWh pack are still prohibitively expensive (you should sell or trade your car instead of doing this, IMO... and don't fall for eBay scams). Upgrades to an 85 or 90 from a 40/60/70/75 are the most common ones we've done, and prices vary a bit depending on the exact work needed, condition of the existing pack (core return), etc. Since batteries (particular battery modules) are super popular, we don't tend to keep any in stock ready for upgrades currently (occasionally, but usually not). With an order for an upgrade, we get that into our queue and usually can schedule the actual service within a few weeks.

For many, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade, but it can for some. I usually like to talk/chat/email folks to make sure it's a sensible path before moving forward.

Can do non-P to P upgrades, also, RWD or AWD. Have to also be 85 kWh or higher to do this.

RWD to AWD is technically possible, but you should just sell the car and buy an AWD instead of paying me to do this... would be less expensive.

We've done a few AP1 retrofits, also.

Can you drop in raven motors (m3) in S/X AWD cars?

Reactions: Guy V
Probably, but would have to pull the diag data on it first to be sure. So far the ones I've examined can still be repurposed away from the Tesla BMS, with the possible exception of one out of the 16 modules.

Have done a couple of upgrades to P90. We only use the latest generation performance drive units in those upgrades, so shouldn't have any issues. Nothing we do affects supercharging.

Going to P90 is a requirement? Could you do 85 to P85?
Thanks

Reactions: Guy V
Can you drop in raven motors (m3) in S/X AWD cars?

To do this requires quite a few other retrofits, especially if it's a pre-refresh AWD car. I haven't done this yet, but it's technically possible.

It would just be somewhat cost prohibitive. Would need to do an MCU2 retrofit, need AP2 or higher (which is a massively annoying retrofit if you don't already have it), etc. Basically would need to upgrade everything to match the state of things when that motor was released.

Going to P90 is a requirement? Could you do 85 to P85?
Thanks

85 to P85 is doable. Would just need to confirm the condition of the drive unit to see if it's suitable for use as a core to keep decent pricing. Some of the older base drive units are kind of time bombs waiting for issues (bearings, differential).

With Ludicrous, @HankLloydRight is going to make that return trip in half the time! :D

Holy cow!! He’s NOT KIDDING! I’m easily driving 10-15mph faster than I normally do. Not sure if my radar/laser detector is going to save me this trip.

And let me say thanks again to wk057... I learned so much today that I didn’t know before, that alone was worth the cost of admission.