Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy cow!! He’s NOT KIDDING! I’m easily driving 10-15mph faster than I normally do. Not sure if my radar/laser detector is going to save me this trip.

And let me say thanks again to wk057... I learned so much today that I didn’t know before, that alone was worth the cost of admission.

Thanks for coming all the way down to my shop for the upgrade on short notice! Was a pleasure!

Glad everything worked out and you're enjoying the added power and range on your return trip. Safe travels!

My wife just emailed me:

I replied ( never having driven a Ludicrous car before yesterday):

That's Ludicrous !!! LOL

Ludicrous button.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
So I get home from this venture, and now my passenger door handle won't present. :rolleyes:

Not that it's related in any way whatsoever, but why couldn't that have happened on Thursday when I was there??!

Yes, I'm sure I can fix it myself, I just have to find the time.

Maybe it is a Ludicrous "feature" preventing the additional weight of passengers slowing down your Ludicrous launches. :D

• Funny
Reactions: wk057
So I get home from this venture, and now my passenger door handle won't present. :rolleyes:

Not that it's related in any way whatsoever, but why couldn't that have happened on Thursday when I was there??!

Yes, I'm sure I can fix it myself, I just have to find the time.

Damn. Well, the pre-2016 handles definitely do experience issues with the weak push piece... it snaps at the rod that holds it. You can see if this is the issue you have by listening to the door when it's supposed to be extending... it'll just run and run and run the push motor.

I wish you were on westcoast...

I've seriously looked into the logistics of either setting up a satellite shop, or moving shop entirely, to somewhere that'd make sense on the west coast.

And... well, it doesn't make sense. Anywhere I could setup shop that would make some aspect of this business more convenient than remaining here ends up being WAY too expensive to do. Like, an order of magnitude more expensive. I would have to charge outrageous amounts to do much of anything, in which case no one would go for the offers.

It's literally cheaper to ship a car from the west coast, work on it here, and ship it back for every upgrade/modification/etc than it would be to setup shop out west. And I've actually done this with several customers. We actually have a vehicle inbound from Oregon right now set to arrive later this week for some upgrades.

So unfortunately, no west coast shop for me. I don't want to pay the same as what I pay for my 30,000 sqft shop here to have a parking space sized shop in Cali.

Damn. Well, the pre-2016 handles definitely do experience issues with the weak push piece... it snaps at the rod that holds it. You can see if this is the issue you have by listening to the door when it's supposed to be extending... it'll just run and run and run the push motor.

I've seriously looked into the logistics of either setting up a satellite shop, or moving shop entirely, to somewhere that'd make sense on the west coast.

And... well, it doesn't make sense. Anywhere I could setup shop that would make some aspect of this business more convenient than remaining here ends up being WAY too expensive to do. Like, an order of magnitude more expensive. I would have to charge outrageous amounts to do much of anything, in which case no one would go for the offers.

It's literally cheaper to ship a car from the west coast, work on it here, and ship it back for every upgrade/modification/etc than it would be to setup shop out west. And I've actually done this with several customers. We actually have a vehicle inbound from Oregon right now set to arrive later this week for some upgrades.

So unfortunately, no west coast shop for me. I don't want to pay the same as what I pay for my 30,000 sqft shop here to have a parking space sized shop in Cali.

Living/Having a business in Seattle, WA, I can tell you this is most definitley the truth.

I'm down for shipping my car when the next opportunity arises to get me some Ludacrous action on my P85D+.

So, as @HankLloydRight noted, he's taking the upgrade offer. Congrats :)

Currently, using superchargers isn't an issue in this case. I don't foresee it being an issue in the future, either, unless Tesla makes some global dramatic changes to the supercharger protocol. That would likely be a bit tricky, since they'd have to make sure every car eligible for supercharging received such an update, also.

And by "forever" ... technically can be upgraded later, but requires manual patching of any new firmware. So if Tesla did, for example, release an update that broke supercharging... well, I'd have to whip up a patched version for such vehicles.

Again, this is only a limitation on RWD vehicles being upgraded to a 100. AWD vehicles don't need any major hacks to make a 100 work.

Also, for others looking to do upgrades... I do offer them as a normal service, although in many cases I actually try to talk the customer out of doing so because it doesn't make sense. This particular offer was a little outside of the norm, since this pack was perfect for an upgrade and it made sense to offer it as such. Upgrades to a 100 kWh pack are still prohibitively expensive (you should sell or trade your car instead of doing this, IMO... and don't fall for eBay scams). Upgrades to an 85 or 90 from a 40/60/70/75 are the most common ones we've done, and prices vary a bit depending on the exact work needed, condition of the existing pack (core return), etc. Since batteries (particular battery modules) are super popular, we don't tend to keep any in stock ready for upgrades currently (occasionally, but usually not). With an order for an upgrade, we get that into our queue and usually can schedule the actual service within a few weeks.

For many, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade, but it can for some. I usually like to talk/chat/email folks to make sure it's a sensible path before moving forward.

Can do non-P to P upgrades, also, RWD or AWD. Have to also be 85 kWh or higher to do this.

RWD to AWD is technically possible, but you should just sell the car and buy an AWD instead of paying me to do this... would be less expensive.

We've done a few AP1 retrofits, also.
What about suspension upgrades? Non-plus to + suspension?

So a very noticeable difference would you say between this v3 P90DL vs the P85D Insane?

OMG, yes! On the drive down to the shop, I made use of "Insane" mode several times at highway speeds just to get a fresh baseline in my head. I also did a few 0-to-whatever launches in Insane mode (not using 'launch mode'). But after the new pack was installed, in every aspect (launches, highway passing, etc) the acceleration is significantly improved..and not just by a little, but by a lot! Sometimes I tap the peddle a little to quickly and it's quick to remind me "Hey buddy, you have Ludicrous mode now!!! Chill out a little.".

I have yet to actually try 'Launch Mode' as it's not easy finding a suitable stretch of road around here.

OMG, yes! On the drive down to the shop, I made use of "Insane" mode several times at highway speeds just to get a fresh baseline in my head. I also did a few 0-to-whatever launches in Insane mode (not using 'launch mode'). But after the new pack was installed, in every aspect (launches, highway passing, etc) the acceleration is significantly improved..and not just by a little, but by a lot! Sometimes I tap the peddle a little to quickly and it's quick to remind me "Hey buddy, you have Ludicrous mode now!!! Chill out a little.".

I have yet to actually try 'Launch Mode' as it's not easy finding a suitable stretch of road around here.

Congratulations on your upgrade! IMHO $5,000 well spent.

Your description is exactly what I experienced when I upgraded our 2015 P85D+ from Insane to P85D+ Ludicrous for $5,000:

"in every aspect (launches, highway passing, etc) the acceleration is significantly improved..and not just by a little, but by a lot!"

Maybe my 85kWh battery will die and I'll get your 90kWh battery too. :D

Reactions: HankLloydRight