Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla can't retroactively change the warranty on a vehicle. So you still have the 8-year/unlimited mileage warranty you have always had.

The new 8-year/150k mileage warranty only applies to new S/X vehicles sold after Tesla made that change to the warranty terms.

Well two things, the first is that Tesla can, and has, retroactively make the warranty better. They just can't make it worse. So were it the case, for example, that my battery completely failed at the 160,000 mile mark I could rightly argue they have no right to make my warranty worse.

The second is that I will readily concede that I just assumed the new warranty was intended to be retroactive although I can see the mistake in that since it is, in some scenarios, a downgrade. I'm sure it's moot as they'd probably say the battery hasn't really degraded and it's just being software limited for my protection.

In any event I'm glad people (or at least 1 person) is doing this service I'm just not ready to jump at it.

Thanks for the correction.

:eek:

Realistically, I'll probably have to get this prepped and tested before going anywhere with it, but, should be able to work out the same deal as originally posted in this thread. It would have to be someone willing to pull the trigger on it, as I can't just sit on battery packs.

The best use case for this particular pack is for sure P85D to P90D... plus I've got a soft spot for the original P85D folks. :p

:eek:

Realistically, I'll probably have to get this prepped and tested before going anywhere with it, but, should be able to work out the same deal as originally posted in this thread. It would have to be someone willing to pull the trigger on it, as I can't just sit on battery packs.

The best use case for this particular pack is for sure P85D to P90D... plus I've got a soft spot for the original P85D folks. :p

I’d be super interested if I didn’t have to ship my car to the east coast.

Shipping isn't an issue, logistically. I can get a car shipped from nearly anywhere in the world. Usually it's about a week from coast to coast in the USA each way for shipping, 1-3 days on the east coast and nearby, and anywhere from weeks to months from other places in the world.

Just a matter of added cost and time.

• Disagree
Reactions: davidc18 and gmo43
I technically have another 100 pack available, but the pricing for an upgrade would be almost 4x the 85->90 price since it's a nearly new 100 pack from Q1'20.

The 90L pack will be available next week. Long story short, going to be performing some service bulletins on it before testing and releasing it into the wild again.

I technically have another 100 pack available, but the pricing for an upgrade would be almost 4x the 85->90 price since it's a nearly new 100 pack from Q1'20.

The 90L pack will be available next week. Long story short, going to be performing some service bulletins on it before testing and releasing it into the wild again.
I know I can't afford it, but I'm still curious how much it would cost to go from a 75 pack (I have a 2016 75D/Air suspension with 34K miles and range at 100% is 240 miles) to go to the 100 pack (is that a Performance model?)

I know I can't afford it, but I'm still curious how much it would cost to go from a 75 pack (I have a 2016 75D/Air suspension with 34K miles and range at 100% is 240 miles) to go to the 100 pack (is that a Performance model?)

With the 100 pack I have in stock it'd be ~$22k (+ your 75 core). You would end up as a 100D (non-performance) and 100% charge would be about 330-335 rated miles. The 100's are just still ridiculously expensive on the salvage market. I'm convinced Tesla does their best to get their hands on them before they hit auctions.

If you wanted to go performance, that's doable as well, but requires a good amount of retrofitting, and would add anywhere from $5-10k to the cost (probably not worth it), depending on the exact hardware used in your vehicle's build. (2016 was the year of many changes on the hardware side leading up to the refresh.)

With the 100 pack I have in stock it'd be ~$22k (+ your 75 core). You would end up as a 100D (non-performance) and 100% charge would be about 330-335 rated miles. The 100's are just still ridiculously expensive on the salvage market. I'm convinced Tesla does their best to get their hands on them before they hit auctions.

If you wanted to go performance, that's doable as well, but requires a good amount of retrofitting, and would add anywhere from $5-10k to the cost (probably not worth it), depending on the exact hardware used in your vehicle's build. (2016 was the year of many changes on the hardware side leading up to the refresh.)
Thanks for the information Jason. It's probably better for me to wait another 2 years.

Have any of your customers had issues with being locked out of the supercharger network after the upgrade? The voiding of warranty isn't a huge issue for me - past factory already. But having a with free S, some of those rumors has me a bit worried about losing that access.

But quite frankly I've been seriously considering picking up a salvaged X from an auction. Between MCU, pack, spare parts in an aging car. It might actually save me money..

Have any of your customers had issues with being locked out of the supercharger network after the upgrade? The voiding of warranty isn't a huge issue for me - past factory already. But having a with free S, some of those rumors has me a bit worried about losing that access.

But quite frankly I've been seriously considering picking up a salvaged X from an auction. Between MCU, pack, spare parts in an aging car. It might actually save me money..

As long as the resulting configuration is standard (as in, the resulting car is one you could have potentially bought from Tesla at some point... like a P100D, or a 100D, or 90D, etc... not a 100 or P100)... then there shouldn't be any issues. As long as your car is clean title, they have no policy about disabling supercharging. Yes, your pack warranty is void if you do a third party replacement, but that has nothing to do with supercharging. So far no issues with Tesla on any of this (with clean title cars) for years.

For salvages... honestly, that's a mess. Tesla's threatened legal action against people re-enabling supercharging on salvage vehicles. So, I wouldn't bother if you plan on keeping it a while and want to make long trips, until someone sues Tesla and wins on that particular issue.

As long as the resulting configuration is standard (as in, the resulting car is one you could have potentially bought from Tesla at some point... like a P100D, or a 100D, or 90D, etc... not a 100 or P100)... then there shouldn't be any issues. As long as your car is clean title, they have no policy about disabling supercharging. Yes, your pack warranty is void if you do a third party replacement, but that has nothing to do with supercharging. So far no issues with Tesla on any of this (with clean title cars) for years.

For salvages... honestly, that's a mess. Tesla's threatened legal action against people re-enabling supercharging on salvage vehicles. So, I wouldn't bother if you plan on keeping it a while and want to make long trips, until someone sues Tesla and wins on that particular issue.

Oh I meant more picking up a salvaged 100D MX for spare parts/donor vehicle for my clean title X. The local auction house near me sees a couple of 100Ds (non-P) and they're not that ridiculously priced. If I can find a later year and salvage the goodies I've been wanting - MCU2 from it, the battery pack, hepa filter, and pull out a couple of parts that I need for repairs (ie door motors) I might be better off that way rather than scrounging the parts individually.

When my warranty runs out and if my pack dies. I'm coming to you. Might also just come to you to get a better pack. 5k isn't bad for a 85 to 90. If the price comes down even more - even more appealing. Don't understand why Tesla can't do what you are doing.

Curious, have you come across any of these fancy new 85 pack replacements? Any comments/insight on them?

- MCU2 from it

Just so you know, the MCU2 is phenomenally harder to hack than MCU1. If you have a spare MCU2, it's not going to do you much good unless you can hack it to install all the proper certificates and install files to match your existing MCU2. wk057 says it takes hours of hacking just to do things like minor configuration changes. I don't know what he'd say about swapping in an entirely new MCU2 and getting it to work on your car if you had an MCU2 failure.