Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoops - I saw the first post just after I posted and I remember seeing this last summer too. Man, this is tough - we just bought a house last week so I can’t quite justify (mostly to my wife) spending our scant reserves on this. $5k is a great deal to turn the car I love into a longer-range, faster version of itself.
This is painful! Hickory is right down I-40 from me, too! The timing is just wrong. I’ll have to hope another battery like yours somehow comes along a little later.

Whoops - I saw the first post just after I posted and I remember seeing this last summer too. Man, this is tough - we just bought a house last week so I can’t quite justify (mostly to my wife) spending our scant reserves on this. $5k is a great deal to turn the car I love into a longer-range, faster version of itself.
This is painful! Hickory is right down I-40 from me, too! The timing is just wrong. I’ll have to hope another battery like yours somehow comes along a little later.

Take it from me, if you can scratch together $5k for the upgrade, you WON'T be disappointed! But at this point, I do think there are a few people in line for the one 90kWh pack wk057 has available. It's up to him to figure out who gets it. I do think wk057 takes credit cards. :D

Definitely have a lot of interest. Realistically it will have to come down to timing and such.

On a side note, if you can't get me here, I'm not hard to find elsewhere.

Last edited:
Just so you know, the MCU2 is phenomenally harder to hack than MCU1. If you have a spare MCU2, it's not going to do you much good unless you can hack it to install all the proper certificates and install files to match your existing MCU2. wk057 says it takes hours of hacking just to do things like minor configuration changes. I don't know what he'd say about swapping in an entirely new MCU2 and getting it to work on your car if you had an MCU2 failure.

Hmm that's interesting. So basically anything I want changed, change it before I upgrade to MCU2 - if I do at all. I'm curious as to what would happen if someone got work done by a 3rd party like wk057 and then paid Tesla for an official MCU2 upgrade. If they'd refuse it, flag the car, or revert it back to the original.

Hmm that's interesting. So basically anything I want changed, change it before I upgrade to MCU2 - if I do at all. I'm curious as to what would happen if someone got work done by a 3rd party like wk057 and then paid Tesla for an official MCU2 upgrade. If they'd refuse it, flag the car, or revert it back to the original.

They would just copy the config over to the new MCU. They don't really know any better in most cases unless it's a ridiculous change to the vehicle. Pack swaps and motor upgrades to existing configurations (as it, your car doesn't end up with a unique combination of hardware) don't tend to cause issues.

Do they usually copy the config rather than just generating a new one? Is that because they want to copy your user specific data to the new MCU anyway?

The server side config and the car side config don't tend to match, as the server side copy is usually from build time. Any changes since then aren't reflected. It's a pretty terrible setup, and they've done a bit better with Model 3... but for MCU1->MCU2 they definitely just copy the config.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
@wk057

First I'll give you the disclaimer that I'm not ready to jump at the upgrade now but may in a rear or so if the opportunity shows up again (maybe in a yearish) so these questions are mostly for reference and curiosity.

Can you still do the swap on a car that has MCU2 or is whatever hacking you need to do to make it work not workable with it? My current MCU1 is fading so I'll probably do that upgrade soonish.

Also, you mentioned the battery would go through your normal processes if no one had taken you up on the offer, does that mean converting into a home based battery for solar or what is that process if I may ask?

Lastly, what do you consider a good condition battery for trade-in purposes? For example, by my math comparing how many KWh the car displays against how much of a percent drop there is I figure my battery is down to something like 68-73KWh of its original 85 capacity. Would you still consider that good?

If you read back through the thread you will find a spreadsheet with configurations and prices. If memory serves upgrading to a 100 pack starts at 22k if you can find a pack.

I saw the og post and that's pricing for a 90 pack. Looked at every other page and saw someone ask to go from 75 to 100. I can get a ballpark with the info I found but would love an exact cost. Thanks bro

Hi guys. My apologies for my delayed reply. My account is set so that public posts need pre-approval, and the mod team is a volunteer crew that likely gets pretty swamped. Also seems to be some technical issue with my PMs here. Sorry about that.

I've also been swamped in general the past couple of weeks.

Anyway, the 90 pack and 100 pack discussed are currently spoken for, but I'll try to post again if that changes or if any others become available.

The pricing in the first post and those available combinations for whatever to 90 still apply.

For upgrades to 100: No RWD upgrades. Must be AWD. Must have air suspension. The price varies based on my cost for the 100 pack. Currently the ones I have available would be the pricing for a 90 upgrade as listed for your model, plus about $15k.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hi guys. My apologies for my delayed reply. My account is set so that public posts need pre-approval, and the mod team is a volunteer crew that likely gets pretty swamped. Also seems to be some technical issue with my PMs here. Sorry about that.

I've also been swamped in general the past couple of weeks.

Anyway, the 90 pack and 100 pack discussed are currently spoken for, but I'll try to post again if that changes or if any others become available.

The pricing in the first post and those available combinations for whatever to 90 still apply.

For upgrades to 100: No RWD upgrades. Must be AWD. Must have air suspension. The price varies based on my cost for the 100 pack. Currently the ones I have available would be the pricing for a 90 upgrade as listed for your model, plus about $15k.

Thanks!

Thanks. I saw the email that you replied to me sometime last week but I couldn't reply to you. Huge jump from a 90 pack to 100 pack. I may just stick with the p90dL package whenever you get another one in. Stay safe and healthy everybody!

Once the 4680-based packs are standard in new S and X the price of used 100 packs might come down a bit. $15K difference for about 11% more than a 90 pack is kind of steep.
How I read is is he was saying the 90 pack upgrade plus an extra 15k. The 90 upgrade with your core was 5k(ish) if I remember correctly. And I think that was only if you had an 85 pack. So again if I'm correct 20k to swap a 100 pack and get ludicrous. I think the 90 will do alright for me lol

So again if I'm correct 20k to swap a 100 pack and get ludicrous.
. $15K difference for about 11% more than a 90 pack is kind of steep.

It's greater than 11% more range. My P85D+ was charging to about 246 miles before I upgraded to P90DL+, which was getting about 264, so that's a about a 7% jump. But then when I upgraded to the 100kWh pack, I'm now getting 288 or so, so that's another 7% jump in range. But to go from a P85D to a P100DL, that's a 17% jump in range using the numbers above. My new 100kWh pack is from 2016 so it has some degradation, but the new 2020 pack wk057 had available would have likely gotten me 305-310 miles of range. So if I had gone that route, it would have been a 24% jump in range from my P85D battery.

It's also significantly more power to the motors (for P cars), and the real kicker is much faster supercharging. I've been getting >130kW charging lately from a V2 supercharger.