Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Non-Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a 1088790-00-A, HWID 81, which is not Ludicrous capable.

As I noted, I'm actually unsure what, if any, hardware differences there are between the two... but I wouldn't enable Ludicrous since the pack doesn't explicitly support it.

This is a 1088790-00-A, HWID 81, which is not Ludicrous capable.

As I noted, I'm actually unsure what, if any, hardware differences there are between the two... but I wouldn't enable Ludicrous since the pack doesn't explicitly support it.

That’s unfortunate it doesn’t have the option of ludicrous. Both 790 and 792 get above 500kw with ludicrous. 792 gets about 10kw more and will have a range around 275 usually. 790 get around 510kw and range usually at 272. I had both. 790 first than 792. They obviously lose kw overtime especially if using max power and ludicrous often. But they both put up comparable 0-60mph times to a P100DL with ludicrous added. Without 470kw will be around the max. Not having ludicrous is actually probably the smart way to go with no warranty cuz they have a tendency to have the battery replaced with ludicrous at very low miles

It’s freaking awesome! I was on a road trip this past week so the battery was warmed up so I put it in L+ mode for the first time. Wow.
What battery # did you get? You should definitely do a few timed 0-60mph with a dragy. I didn’t get a dragy until my car was getting 20 less kw. So it still makes me wonder how fast it could have done when it already did 2.60 and 2.55 but the 2.5 was around -1.7 slope so did not count

What battery # did you get? You should definitely do a few timed 0-60mph with a dragy. I didn’t get a dragy until my car was getting 20 less kw. So it still makes me wonder how fast it could have done when it already did 2.60 and 2.55 but the 2.5 was around -1.7 slope so did not count

It's v3, manufacture date of August 2018. There's really no good spots around here to go testing acceleration like that.

I have a 2012 85 with a close to brand new replacement battery pack and it had it’s master charger as well as charge port and assembly replaced recently. Is there something more we could do with it, p90?, p90+? I also have a 2015 85D I would be interested in the 90D or P90D but is there a way to also improve the supercharging speeds? Text me at 832-647-6762 and we can talk more.

Depends on the state of the battery pack. For example, the pack I have here is pretty new, and it's also a v3 90 that doesn't suffer from the software limiting being imposed on the 85s... so installing this would, at least for now, restore good speeds. Can't speak for how long that'd be the case, since Tesla's always changing things without notice... but, yeah.

It's v3, manufacture date of August 2018. There's really no good spots around here to go testing acceleration like that.

Do you know the actual number? If August I would say it’s 1088790-00-A especially if the battery was from a P90D than had ludicrous added after delivery.They really weren’t in many Model S P90D’s, in fact the few I did see either didn’t have ludicrous or had it added after delivery like mine. The Model X had that battery mainly and way before August too. Another Model S I saw with it was at a dealership my friend manages and was a June build or maybe July but was only a P90D. I think they fail quickly with ludicrous (max power and excessive launch) compared to the last V3 which I mine (1088790) was replaced at 18k miles with the V3 battery 1088792-00-A. Can’t say for sure exactly when the first P90DL’s started having the last V3 but I would assume around September. Since back than if you had pre ordered a P90DL you had the decision to upgrade to a P100DL (for $15k and was still Ap1)
You should check I would be interested to know which you have and definitely would give you some advice if it is the 90 instead of the 92 V3, which I abused the 92 and it held up great considering. I honestly think that V3 battery was actually a 100 limited. Not too many have had them, I don’t know anyone personally, but what really makes me think it was cause I was told I was going to get a 100 battery after making them replace mine which had lost 1-2 miles of range but was in the 460kw range which wasn’t going to cut it for me knowing what it was supposed to be capable of when I bought it. People are always amazed when they I tell them that I was able to get Tesla to replace it since we know Tesla makes everyone jump thru hoops to get a new one with much more legitimate reasons. But this was when they had done a bunch of shady s*** that not too many knew about plus I told them I would only accept a new one of my exact battery, or a new one of the other better V3, or fix it where it’s getting right around 500kw cause I told them I hadn’t lost much if any range. Which I did technically from 271-269. Which was still amazing It also had a 100% SOC of 277 miles after doing my own charging techniques (The new V3 10888792) up from 268 or 269 the first time it was charged to 100%. New it was getting 510kw without max battery ready and 520kw with, I think even 522kw (Used PowerTools to find out) . It dropped to 490kw over 4-5k miles, but like I said I was in max battery almost always, doing times, launch mode etc. Interesting enough the way I like to charge it continued to gain range for about 4K miles and than stopped gaining at 277 stayed at 276 for most on the time I owned it. I think it might have been at 275 when I sold it but I could be wrong it might have never fell below 276. This was not a guesstimate made by stats app for Tesla’s at 80-90% SOC, on the stats app it was as high as 279 maybe 280 charging to 80-90%. Since they give you the graph chart showing the range every time you charge based on the charging time left and the range currently when it stops charging.
Yea I only really can do 0-60mph where I am too. There are some places to go but are far, so nearby 0-60mph is the only real times I could do. It also helps that my car (All Tesla’s) aren’t screaming down the road like a bat out of hell waking up anyone in a 2 mile radius. You should download PowerTools too see where your kw are at, which should peak at 30-40mph. If you’re getting above 500kw, you have to do some 0-60mph tests. I would love to see what times you get if above 500-510kw. I wish I had a dragy when I had first got the battery replaced cause I think it would have done 2.5 0-60mph since it did once but the slope was -1.7.

0E58021F-B469-403B-B667-8A49FBC77805.jpeg

wk057 can hopefully answer your questions and address your assertions.

It was a brand new pack from Tesla installed into a crashed P85D last year. But they couldn't repair it, so the ins co totalled the car and sent it off to auction with a brand new 90kWh pack installed but never used. So whatever new 90kWh packs Tesla was shipping out in 2019, is what I got.

I'm sure it's not a software limited 100kWh pack.

Hank's is 1088792-00-A (HWID 82). It's the V3 90 Ludicrous... best one to have besides a 100.

It's definitely not a limited 100. It's just the same cells in a 444-cell module configuration.

Also, upon further research, the pack in this thread can be ludicrous enabled, however it has higher throttling limits than the HWID 82 pack like Hank got. I'd expect it to degrade more quickly with ludicrous enabled. I'd probably suggest this pack only for non-ludicrous upgrades, still, but it is technically possible to enable it.

wk057 can hopefully answer your questions and address your assertions.

It was a brand new pack from Tesla installed into a crashed P85D last year. But they couldn't repair it, so the ins co totalled the car and sent it off to auction with a brand new 90kWh pack installed but never used. So whatever new 90kWh packs Tesla was shipping out in 2019, is what I got.

I'm sure it's not a software limited 100kWh pack.

Hank's is 1088792-00-A (HWID 82). It's the V3 90 Ludicrous... best one to have besides a 100.

It's definitely not a limited 100. It's just the same cells in a 444-cell module configuration.

Also, upon further research, the pack in this thread can be ludicrous enabled, however it has higher throttling limits than the HWID 82 pack like Hank got. I'd expect it to degrade more quickly with ludicrous enabled. I'd probably suggest this pack only for non-ludicrous upgrades, still, but it is technically possible to enable it.

Yes, I know all about the V3 1088792-00-A pack as it was remarkable from the time I first got it to the the end even after losing 30kw due to excessive max power/launch mode.So the pack you currently have you can enable ludicrous? That was the one I first had, and yes ludicrous does degrade it a lot. But the one Hank got I abused and it was still putting up 0-60mph 1ft in 2.6 seconds consistently (2.8 0-60mph).
Anyways back to your pack. You’re saying you believe that it is potentially better than the 1088792-00-A battery? I understand not all batteries are the same as some are just better than others. Like what you’re stating, even though it’s not the best of the best V3 batteries it could just have better cells making it technically better. Which I’m sure you can see with a little iPhone jail***, to say in inconspicuous terms. If you could add ludicrous to it I would definitely be interested. And the pack I currently have is better than any P85D even with ludicrous for the most part. From 0-60mph to the 1/8 mile. Clearly having no more warranty would make me be very cautious with it but it makes sense for me as I have too much invested in my P85D to really sale it, as I am basically waiting for batteries to be much more attainable and affordable , ideally a 100 battery. It’s that or get another 2016.5 P90DL with the 92 battery to swap my interior into the P90DL. I would do it with a P100DL but the seats changed even with AP1 so I’m not sure it’s possible, I just assume it’s not.
But I would probably do this swap for sure if you can add ludicrous and you say it’s potentially better than the 92 V3. Obviously I trust your word as I know you understand the chemistry of these batteries as well as anyone.
When you say higher throttling limits what exactly are you referring too? The amount of amps when charging or the ability to have better performance? I know it will charge must faster regardless but please explain in more detail as I am getting more excited to do the swap as I hear more of these bonuses it has from you.
My 85 battery actually still does very well charging considering. I rarely use superchargers but I went to one recently that was a 72 max station and it was charging at 74 amps for awhile than slowly dropped to 73, 72, etc. I really never paid a ton of attention to the amps it gets while supercharging cause I never really use them much. But it will charge to around 246-248 at 100%. It was at 249 for awhile, this is also the 14 P85D which was supposed to get 242 mile of range at 100% SOC when new. Feel free to message me and let’s see what we can do.

Also Hank you need to do some test depending on how much you have already used Ludicrous/max battery cause I would love to see what it could potentially do. Like I said mine had already lost a good amount of kw when I actually bought a dragy. I only had PowerTools so I knew what it was getting new and than later when I could finally do accurate times. Also what range is it getting at 100% if you ever charge to it? Not what it shows it could potentially get at at 100% when it’s at 80%-90%. But when it’s been fully charged?

This one is definitely not better than the 1088792-00-A as far as Ludicrous goes.

It is the same cells as 1088792-00-A, though. It's basically an identical pack, except 1088792-00-A (HWID 82) has double-bonded cell fuses and 1088790-00-A (HWID 81) does not... hence the tighter software limits for high power. 81 has a 1520A peak discharge, 82 has 1600A peak thanks to the double bonded cells. 1500A+ is Ludicrous. 1300A is non-Ludicrous.

Basically if you bought Ludicrous from the factory when this pack was made, you got a bonus in your peak current (a HWID 82 pack). If you didn't (built with HWID 81 pack), and added it later, you still technically got what you paid for (+200A), but not as good as if you bought it new and got a HWID 82 from the factory.

Overall, this is definitely a good pack... however, it's going to be gone one way or another if no upgrade taker scheduled by Friday.

Out of curiosity, how often do you get the Ludicrous Capable packs in? I have a 2016.5 P90D, and would love to add the "L" - but it sounds like from reading your post that the batteries are physically different. The differences between 90 kWh battery packs get confusing. All I know is that the 100 kWh battery backs are basically unobtainable still.

From what I can tell all of the 90 packs are able to be made Ludicrous capable. The resulting peak current varies depending on the exact pack though, and some degrade faster than others when utilizing Ludicrous often.

From what I can tell all of the 90 packs are able to be made Ludicrous capable. The resulting peak current varies depending on the exact pack though, and some degrade faster than others when utilizing Ludicrous often.

So, let's say I brought you my existing P90D. What exactly is involved in activating ludicrous mode from a hardware and software standpoint? And from a cost + labor standpoint.

Not what it shows it could potentially get at at 100% when it’s at 80%-90%. But when it’s been fully charged?

When I got the pack this summer, 100% was 267. It's now about 265.

Also Hank you need to do some test depending on how much you have already used Ludicrous/max battery cause I would love to see what it could potentially do. Like I said mine had already lost a good amount of kw when I actually bought a dragy.

Yeah, sorry. I don't think I'm going to go hammer on my battery pack and degrade it faster just to get some stats I don't need. It's a fast car, that's all that matters to me. If it's +/- .1s or .2s that doesn't matter to me. Battery degradation does matter.

Reactions: ACA Man
So, let's say I brought you my existing P90D. What exactly is involved in activating ludicrous mode from a hardware and software standpoint? And from a cost + labor standpoint.

I generally won't do this, as this is something you should still be able to buy directly from Tesla. I don't do any unlocks or upgrades if they still officially offer it. Like, I won't unlock a software locked battery pack or activate the FSD package for people.

On a salvage vehicle, though, all bets are off, since Tesla refuses to touch them anyway.

Now if they decide they're no longer going to offer P90D to P90D upgrades themselves, that's another story. For most 90's it's mostly software and a physical verification that the proper parts are installed. If not, install them (proper pyro fuse, mainly).