Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Non-Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I generally won't do this, as this is something you should still be able to buy directly from Tesla. I don't do any unlocks or upgrades if they still officially offer it. Like, I won't unlock a software locked battery pack or activate the FSD package for people.

On a salvage vehicle, though, all bets are off, since Tesla refuses to touch them anyway.

Now if they decide they're no longer going to offer P90D to P90D upgrades themselves, that's another story. For most 90's it's mostly software and a physical verification that the proper parts are installed. If not, install them (proper pyro fuse, mainly).

Indeed, they no longer sell an upgrade path from P90D to P90DL. Confirmed via the attached email.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 113
I generally won't do this, as this is something you should still be able to buy directly from Tesla. I don't do any unlocks or upgrades if they still officially offer it. Like, I won't unlock a software locked battery pack or activate the FSD package for people.

On a salvage vehicle, though, all bets are off, since Tesla refuses to touch them anyway.

Now if they decide they're no longer going to offer P90D to P90D upgrades themselves, that's another story. For most 90's it's mostly software and a physical verification that the proper parts are installed. If not, install them (proper pyro fuse, mainly).
They haven’t allowed you to upgrade to ludicrous in yrs now unfortunately. When I got my new battery almost 2 yrs ago they stopped allowing you to add ludicrous due to the battery

I received a similar email from Tesla. My window sticker has the Ludicrous Upgrade but the original owner said he elected not to purchase. I'm guessing my P90D is just software to activate it and I would definitely pay to have it activated.

Attachments

• Window Sticker.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • Window Sticker.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
I received a similar email from Tesla. My window sticker has the Ludicrous Upgrade but the original owner said he elected not to purchase. I'm guessing my P90D is just software to activate it and I would definitely pay to have it activated.

Yes u can definitely add it fairly easily by someone who can gain access . As it should still have all the hardware and just like they turn it on when you would pay $10k you just need to find someone who can basically jailbreak it and changed the software to turn it on. This is assuming they didn’t remove the parts that came with all the later P85D’s (I think) and P90D’s(I Know they did), I know someone but once you do it they may know when you take it in than you may have some serious issues. They will see exactly when someone jail broke it and most likely void all your warranties as well as remove it, and potentially more. Could stop you from getting updates ( I wouldn’t care with your car about that) or prevent u from using their superchargers. If you never plan to have Tesla service it or if it’s a routine service they most likely will never know. But anything else service wise will probably raise red flags. Once they see you have it than it really depends if they take the time to send it and see exactly if someone jail broke into their computers software or they forgot to turn it off. As the employees at the service center won’t be able to figure it out and can’t access to know if someone did but all it would take is for them to suspect you did and I honestly cannot say what they would do. It would be one thing if you live near someone capable of adding and removing it but if u have to travel to do it, you would have to travel to have them remove it.
If it was me and it’s out of the 50k mile warranty or any extended warranties and the 8 yr warranty doesn’t last much longer I would do it especially depending on how many miles you have.
The biggest concern would be you in the equation. The person doing it doesn’t know if you would roll and say who did it and if they themselves own a Tesla than they are screwed. But it really comes down to you cuz they could argue and would that you stole from them and would say you will be prosecuted like you did. They have the money to make it look like it could hold up to make it into court and than it comes down to you snitching which 99% of the people do and those actually know what they are getting into and still roll to save their own ass.
I understand that it’s your car and you should be able to do what you want but unfortunately it hasn’t worked that way with Tesla. They are willing to go to extreme measures to teach people lessons as we all know whether never selling them a car again to making the car inoperable and possibly trying to see a actual time sentencing in jail. Which they could argue cuz they have the money too if that makes sense. The rules and laws aren’t necessarily there but you could become the name of a new law when money meets the grey area. The money dictates the grey areas is usually how it works in this country.

Last edited:
What are the current software requirements you need to unlock everything?

My 2015 70D currently gets 220 at 100% with 97K miles down from the 240 new. Tesla quotes 294 for a 90D and you're saying 288, is Tesla just over zealous?

What are the supercharging speeds to expect with the upgrade, will I be limited to 120kw like the people you quoted with the 2012s or can it go faster than that?

Tesla Quotes my 70D at 5.2 0-60 and 145 top speed, will I see the 90D 4.2 0-60 and 155 top speed Tesla quotes or are there additional hardware limitations beyond the battery that prevent that?

Also, anyone that upgraded to V10 software can no longer unlock their software locked batteries, Tesla will not/ can not support it. There's a few people I know in Houston with locked 60/70s that Tesla won't support to make 75s, with Tesla telling them V10 won't allow it. May consider something to offer those guys. No idea why Tesla made a software that locked them out of future revenue streams, but somehow they can still unlock the batteries during the emergency situations??? It's a complete cluster for the people I know trying to upgrade.

Not sure what you mean, about software requirements, but with physical access I can change anything on an MCU1 vehicle.

The 288 I quote is realistic with a bit of margin. It will probably show a few miles more on the dash, but I don't want to do an upgrade claiming 294 and someone charge to 100%, get 292, and then be unhappy with me. I'd rather them get 292 when I tell them 288. lol.

Supercharging speed > 120kW is mostly determined by the charge port. AFAIK this pack will peak out a bit over 120kW with a newer gen port, which you probably don't have (and can't retrofit easily).

Top speed is software and voltage defined in the small motor cars. As a 90D it would have 90D top speed. The hardware limitation is the battery.

Not sure on the V10 stuff. Seems stupid to me. I personally won't software unlock a pack, though, unless it's a salvage car, since that's clearly something they have a way to sell and have actual money wrapped up in the actual hardware on the vehicle (ie, the cells you're not allowed to use), even if they're having issues doing so currently.

Note: I still have this 90 pack for now.

Last edited:

Your pack is an early revision 90 pack, HWID 68, according to your VIN... which technically can be software unlocked to Ludicrous 1500A. It's NOT a V3 ludicrous pack with the double bond wires... so, I'd suggest against it unless you like losing a mile of range to degradation per ludicrous launch. (Exaggerating, obviously, but probably not by much heh).

Unfortunately you have the worst 90 pack revision. :(

• Informative
Reactions: tyler2323
Not sure what you mean, about software requirements, but with physical access I can change anything on an MCU1 vehicle.

The 288 I quote is realistic with a bit of margin. It will probably show a few miles more on the dash, but I don't want to do an upgrade claiming 294 and someone charge to 100%, get 292, and then be unhappy with me. I'd rather them get 292 when I tell them 288. lol.

Supercharging speed > 120kW is mostly determined by the charge port. AFAIK this pack will peak out a bit over 120kW with a newer gen port, which you probably don't have (and can't retrofit easily).

Top speed is software and voltage defined in the small motor cars. As a 90D it would have 90D top speed. The hardware limitation is the battery.

Not sure on the V10 stuff. Seems stupid to me. I personally won't software unlock a pack, though, unless it's a salvage car, since that's clearly something they have a way to sell and have actual money wrapped up in the actual hardware on the vehicle (ie, the cells you're not allowed to use), even if they're having issues doing so currently.

Note: I still have this 90 pack for now.

maybe it had something to do with replacing the emmc memory. I could have sworn you had a thread talking about you could only deal with cars up to certain software revision because you couldn’t root the newest ones yet.

Do you have the ability to add a second charger? is there much more involved to add the second 40a one beyond what you’re already doing?

I took the woman out to lunch today trying to get her blessing on this. We take road trips at least twice a month and spend 60-90 minutes supercharging each way, according to a better route planner a 90D would spend less than half the time charging. She doesn’t seem to think the 9500 is worth it since she doesn’t mind spending the extra time with me *insert the dozen heart eyes she sent me*

agreed on the locked packs. Buddy saved up the 2500? to get his 60D unlocked and they told him to shove off last week and they won’t reimagined the mcu to V9 so they can unlock it then put v10 back on.

Your pack is an early revision 90 pack, HWID 68, according to your VIN... which technically can be software unlocked to Ludicrous 1500A. It's NOT a V3 ludicrous pack with the double bond wires... so, I'd suggest against it unless you like losing a mile of range to degradation per ludicrous launch. (Exaggerating, obviously, but probably not by much heh).

Unfortunately you have the worst 90 pack revision. :(

If I PM you my VIN, can you do a similar check for me?

How could that be? You have an 8 year warranty and the 70 came out in 2015.

Correct! So that comes down to 252288000 or so seconds; whose counting that, but it also means I have I have 3 years left on my warranty, not a long time. I have li Ion batteries in devices last over 15 years, but in a car that I need to road trip in to get anywhere, because I unfortunately live in a country with crappy transportation infrastructure compared to the rest of the world, little more range would be nice, & energy density is the kinda sorta the moores law of batteries, so a better pack would be nice. Packs might be cheaper in some years, so to me its a formula between cost to upgrade/replace in/out of warranty vs when the pack is going to bite down on its cyanide pill. Please let me know if theres a better way, thanks!

Correct! So that comes down to 252288000 or so seconds; whose counting that, but it also means I have I have 3 years left on my warranty, not a long time. I have li Ion batteries in devices last over 15 years, but in a car that I need to road trip in to get anywhere, because I unfortunately live in a country with crappy transportation infrastructure compared to the rest of the world, little more range would be nice, & energy density is the kinda sorta the moores law of batteries, so a better pack would be nice. Packs might be cheaper in some years, so to me its a formula between cost to upgrade/replace in/out of warranty vs when the pack is going to bite down on its cyanide pill. Please let me know if theres a better way, thanks!
I hear you. I have a 70D with 166,000 miles on it. I've lost about 10% range, which is suppose isn't too bad considering the mileage. But that loss, plus wintertime travel conditions, plus slower supercharging, are really starting to hamper the practicality of long road trips. I would love to jump on this upgrade as well, but I'm not quite ready to give up my warranty.

Reactions: ICE collector
Wk057, you had mentioned that a newer v3 pack wouldn't be affected by the chargegate issue.

I have a 2015 70d, the battery was replaced last June, judging by the config it looks like the pack was upgraded from 61 to 65?

The battery part number is 1069504-01-E

I'm still affected by chargegate with what I think is a v3 pack right?

Is there anything that can be done for me?