Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Non-Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We would need to swap the coils on your car to 90D type coils to bring the car back to spec.

That said... it's not strictly necessary to do so, but the added weight of the 90 pack would eat into the vehicles weight ratings without them... so we prefer not to do a swap without swapping the coils.

You'd be looking at $8k for the upgrade, plus $1500 for the upgraded coils (including labor), and would end up with approximated 288 rated miles of range in the end.

Reactions: Werecow
I have a p 85 + 2012 the car was upgraded with the performance components and the plus suspension. The Drive unit was just replaced less than 2 months ago so I'm going to assume it is the upgraded newer style.
Myp gets about 245 sometime a little more with a full charge but that's after they released software upgrade where I lost about 10 miles.

What do you think the upgrade would cost.

Reactions: Sig72
I have a p 85 + 2012 the car was upgraded with the performance components and the plus suspension. The Drive unit was just replaced less than 2 months ago so I'm going to assume it is the upgraded newer style.
Myp gets about 245 sometime a little more with a full charge but that's after they released software upgrade where I lost about 10 miles.

What do you think the upgrade would cost.

P85+ with air suspension and a recent motor to P90+?

Should be about ~$4500, but maybe a hair higher depending on the actual BMS data from the current pack. I'd say between $4500 and $6000 as an estimate based on the above.

what is the limitation of mcu1? what if you end up buying mcu2 upgrade from tesla from mcu1 car?
I am not an expert but from what I have researched, MCU2 is a lot harder to hack and has more security, so upgrading to something like a P90+++ might not even be possible.

It might work if you upgrade to a P90 on MCU1 (not +++, but a normal real Tesla configuration they officially made) and then upgrade to MCU2 after that, since they should carry over the MCU1 config to MCU2. But I don't think a non-original config will carry over to the newer MCU and if it can't be hacked the same way an unofficial configuration profile probably just won't work.

But this is all just me guessing. The best way to get an answer on the internet is to say something wrong so if I'm incorrect someone with real knowledge will step in and give you the proper scientific answer soon.

Reactions: DaveBC
You're correct, a standard configuration (one that Tesla themselves has made or retrofit at one point or another) will work fine if you upgrade to MCU2. Like Hank can get the official upgrade MCU2 without a problem, because a P90D exists as a car Tesla has made.

However, making the configuration changes and doing the firmware updates needed to do an upgrade as a third party is just not practical on MCU2 right now. There are ways to do it, but it's tricky, risky, and overall not something useful as a service. So, I'm only doing upgrades on MCU1 vehicles as things stand.

And yes, things like a "P90++" or other inventions that have never existed in Tesla's fleet by their own doing won't be able to get an MCU2 upgrade. But as long as the resulting configuration is something Tesla has made at one point, it's fine.

You're correct, a standard configuration (one that Tesla themselves has made or retrofit at one point or another) will work fine if you upgrade to MCU2. Like Hank can get the official upgrade MCU2 without a problem, because a P90D exists as a car Tesla has made.

However, making the configuration changes and doing the firmware updates needed to do an upgrade as a third party is just not practical on MCU2 right now. There are ways to do it, but it's tricky, risky, and overall not something useful as a service. So, I'm only doing upgrades on MCU1 vehicles as things stand.

And yes, things like a "P90++" or other inventions that have never existed in Tesla's fleet by their own doing won't be able to get an MCU2 upgrade. But as long as the resulting configuration is something Tesla has made at one point, it's fine.

Hi Ja

Hi Jason, Hank sent me your way..., if you get a moment, will you please read my PM and see if you can help me? Thank you!

Enabling it without paying Tesla to do it explicitly voids the powertrain warranty (battery + motors), which actually makes sense in this case. Updates would still be normal, provided the upgraded car is a standard configuration (ie, Tesla sold at least one car that has the same configuration). Should be the case for a P90D.

Since Tesla doesn't offer this, I offer it, but it's not something I'll do without the car physically present. Still involves some hardware checks and changes in some cases to do properly/safely, hacking of the MCU (no MCU2 at this time), etc

Enabling it without paying Tesla to do it explicitly voids the powertrain warranty (battery + motors), which actually makes sense in this case. Updates would still be normal, provided the upgraded car is a standard configuration (ie, Tesla sold at least one car that has the same configuration). Should be the case for a P90D.

Since Tesla doesn't offer this, I offer it, but it's not something I'll do without the car physically present. Still involves some hardware checks and changes in some cases to do properly/safely, hacking of the MCU (no MCU2 at this time), etc

Thanks Jason! Would you happen to know the approximate cost for this upgrade by you? I've also PM'd you in case you want to discuss there please?

The warranty is already being voided by doing the swap I assume. What’s the likelihood of putting it a P85D and adding ludicrous which obviously isn’t already built in

The warranty is already being voided by doing the swap I assume. What’s the likelihood of putting it a P85D and adding ludicrous which obviously isn’t already built in

It's doable, since wk057 did it for me (see his link in the first post in this thread). But he also posted this on page 2:

Also, upon further research, the pack in this thread can be ludicrous enabled, however it has higher throttling limits than the HWID 82 pack like Hank got. I'd expect it to degrade more quickly with ludicrous enabled. I'd probably suggest this pack only for non-ludicrous upgrades, still, but it is technically possible to enable it.

The warranty on the pack would be voided by a swap, yes. However, the remaining warranty, if any, on everything else in the car would be legally intact in the case of a lateral swap (just a larger pack, no performance upgrade).

If you also do a performance upgrade in the process, you technically expand that voiding to some other components under the verbiage of the warranty, such as the drive unit, axles, etc, since this is technically a third party performance modification that affects those components. I've not seen Tesla actually enforce this thus far (just the battery part of a swap), but they'd be within their rights to refuse to replace a drive unit damaged after a third party ludicrous upgrade, for example.

If they tried to use this as an excuse to not replace something unrelated, like a charger or an MCU or whatever... that's technically illegal, since those parts would not have any chance of being damaged by the third party modifications.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
It's doable, since wk057 did it for me (see his link in the first post in this thread). But he also posted this on page 2:

Yea I know he said he could but said he didn’t want too even with the 90 batteries built in when he first posted it. I thought you had ludicrous added already I wasn’t aware you did it too or I just forgot I actually had this pack before it was replaced with the one you have and it hardly degraded surprisingly. This pack is usually only in the Model X but they put it in some S’s that were P90D’s without ludicrous. Mine had ludicrous added later and I really wasn’t that rough on that battery as I was with yours Which is interesting what he said about it degrading, even tho mine really didn’t he knows that it is likely more prone to be effected by ludicrous. Also what’s interesting and I brought this up in another thread, is the pack you have and I’m sure anyone with this pack as well, Tesla doesn’t sell them with ludicrous anymore. If you look at their used cars and this has been this way for several months, the ones with manufacture dates before August only have ludicrous. Now it just looks like it’s the ones with Ap2 but a several months ago the packs with Ap1 didn’t have ludicrous either all based on their manufacture dates. This pack is capable of 500kw as well. Not as much as yours but right around 500.

The warranty on the pack would be voided by a swap, yes. However, the remaining warranty, if any, on everything else in the car would be legally intact in the case of a lateral swap (just a larger pack, no performance upgrade).

If you also do a performance upgrade in the process, you technically expand that voiding to some other components under the verbiage of the warranty, such as the drive unit, axles, etc, since this is technically a third party performance modification that affects those components. I've not seen Tesla actually enforce this thus far (just the battery part of a swap), but they'd be within their rights to refuse to replace a drive unit damaged after a third party ludicrous upgrade, for example.

If they tried to use this as an excuse to not replace something unrelated, like a charger or an MCU or whatever... that's technically illegal, since those parts would not have any chance of being damaged by the third party modifications.

As I was writing this your post just came in.
Interesting I would have assumed just adding this pack would also void the motors/drive units etc. Just cause of how strict they are and their history Sadly enough I had at least 3 drive units replaced and 2 I know were with this pack and 1 with the other.
Now can they shut off ludicrous? I pm’ed you and explained that I would try to never go to Tesla for any repairs just cause I feel like they would do something negative to the car. Can you make it where they cannot send me updates? There is nothing good about updates when you have an older Tesla, at least that’s my opinion. My concerns would be them trying to take away FUSC, I wouldn’t necessarily be worried about them limiting the performance since it’s not covered under warranty. So I don’t think they would care if my pack got ruined but I don’t put much past them anymore. And they force updates as I have had at least 2 forced and don’t even have my WiFi setup for my car to use to try to use it, just cause I thought that may prevent it from happening. I try no to get any updates until I have read to see if others had any issues, especially after the one where max battery didn’t work for like 6 months.

How much would one expect to pay for a rear drive unit replacement ? Now I have heard it wasn’t really necessary usually as far as them just replacing everything, that they could have fixed certain parts instead of replacing the whole rear drive unit. Is this true?