Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Non-Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who just had their 2015 P85D upgraded to a P90D through Tesla with a V1 90kwh battery... I am frothing at the mouth to get that L.

I wish i held off just a little longer on the MCU2 upgrade :(
Was this a warranty replacement due to degradation on your original 85 kwh pack? If so, what was your degradation determined to be - if not, how did you get the upgrade?

I see that you're in New York as well - which service center completed the upgrade for you?

Was this a warranty replacement due to degradation on your original 85 kwh pack? If so, what was your degradation determined to be - if not, how did you get the upgrade?

I see that you're in New York as well - which service center completed the upgrade for you?
So it was an EXTREMELY strange case... I had an 85 pack and came out one summer morning to a bricked car. Had it towed to Syosset, where they replaced the battery. They put a 90kwh battery in it, and software limited it to 85, but didn't change it in their system. My app said P90D, on Tesla's system it said P90D, but on the car's display it was P85D. I asked probably a dozen times to either change the car to P90D or my app and everything online to P85D (I really hated the different trim labels and if i got into an accident or anything insurance would have been weird proving the "value" of the car).

Well after a year of Syosset saying they couldn't do anything about it, and "I wasn't supposed to know that i got a 90kwh pack" i took it to Smithtown for an unrelated issue, and figured id ask them to take a stab at it... where they wrestled with it for a couple hours, but eventually decided to just upgrade the car officially. It was very "off menu" and they technically don't offer it anymore. Apparently there was once an avenue where you could pay to have it upgraded, but that doesn't exist anymore.

TL;DR Things got weird, then i got lucky.

My 2015 70D is sitting at 213 miles and I can’t wait for the warranty to end. My super charging speeds are down 30-50% and the bulk of charging happens at 50-70kw when 70-90+ was the norm. Tesla of course continues to say everything is normal and because I’m not an electrical engineer, their secret proprietary information on charging speeds wouldn’t make sense to me anyways.

Three questions related to this phantastic thread:

• why was Tyler2323 banned? Even tho he had a difficult reading style, he seemed quite knowledgeable, mannered and willing to share

• the 1088790 Battery- why was this double bonded when You ordered Ludi from the order process/factory built, but only single bonded once delivered as P90D insane? Time saving at the factory?

• And why is this battery type labeled by Fabbecs decoder as V4?

thank You experts!

If you're looking for a battery upgrade, why wait? It won't effect your new or extended warranty, only your 8 year battery and drivetrain warranty.
Because if the battery shits the bed in the warranty I get a new/reman battery and some people people have been lucky to get 90 packs since the 70 was discontinued outright. Or if I just get a 70 pack it’ll probably be in better shape than my current one with 12% degradation and worth more in “trade” with Jason

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Bump.

I have another decent non-ludicrous 90 pack available. It's not brand new, but still has ~80 kWh usable showing (~270 rated miles on a RWD S, ~280 on a non-P AWD S). Probably a good upgrade for a 60/70/75, or an old 85. 90 packs are the most compatible packs in the fleet.

Reactions: SilverGS
Bump.

I have another decent non-ludicrous 90 pack available. It's not brand new, but still has ~80 kWh usable showing (~270 rated miles on a RWD S, ~280 on a non-P AWD S). Probably a good upgrade for a 60/70/75, or an old 85. 90 packs are the most compatible packs in the fleet.

And it's gone before my post is even approved. Gotta love it. 🙄

Reactions: SilverGS
@wk057 - I’ve planned for years to upgrade my P85D+ at your shop the second my battery warranty is up (Nov ‘22) - mostly for increased range and non-hobbled supercharging, but also hopefully to gain Ludicrous.

I’ve upgraded my MCU1 to MCU2 though Tesla, which has been entirely worth it. But, does this prevent your ability to upgrade my battery?
Have done some work with MCU2 vehicles. In most cases now I can make the configuration changes required for battery changes on MCU2, but there's some gotchas that don't have me at 100% success with them just yet (worst case just can't do the swap). Should improve over time.

Have done some work with MCU2 vehicles. In most cases now I can make the configuration changes required for battery changes on MCU2, but there's some gotchas that don't have me at 100% success with them just yet (worst case just can't do the swap). Should improve over time.
Jason would it be better to do a battery upgrade with you first (prior to MCU upgrade) and then let the SC accommodate the bigger battery config when they do the MCU2 upgrade? Or do you guess the SC would balk if they find a non-factory battery config, during MCU2 upgrade, in my hypothetical?

• Helpful
Reactions: Krash
Jason would it be better to do a battery upgrade with you first (prior to MCU upgrade) and then let the SC accommodate the bigger battery config when they do the MCU2 upgrade? Or do you guess the SC would balk if they find a non-factory battery config, during MCU2 upgrade, in my hypothetical?
We've had several customers get upgrades before getting MCU2 and then subsequently get the MCU2 upgrade afterwards.

The service center folks don't seem to even notice, or if they do they don't seem to care. They just go through the motions. As long as the resulting configuration is something that exists on Tesla's side, it's not an issue. For example, a P85D to P90D or P100D is fine, since Tesla produced those. But something like a RWD 60 to a 100 wouldn't be able to be upgraded to MCU2, since there's no RWD 100 vehicles in the normal fleet.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS and Krash
We've had several customers get upgrades before getting MCU2 and then subsequently get the MCU2 upgrade afterwards.

The service center folks don't seem to even notice, or if they do they don't seem to care. They just go through the motions. As long as the resulting configuration is something that exists on Tesla's side, it's not an issue. For example, a P85D to P90D or P100D is fine, since Tesla produced those. But something like a RWD 60 to a 100 wouldn't be able to be upgraded to MCU2, since there's no RWD 100 vehicles in the normal fleet.
Just had my eMMC chip replaced. Sounds like preserving the possibility of an easy battery swap is an excellent reason Not to get MCU2.

What is the difference between the S P90D and P100D battery packs? Is the 90 "expandable," to 100, or does it have to be swapped for an entierly different pack?

I have a 2016.5 P90D, interested in turning it into a P100DL next year when the warranty expires.

Or do you guess the SC would balk if they find a non-factory battery config, during MCU2 upgrade, in my hypothetical?

wk057 upgraded my P85D to a P100DL last year.

I just got my car back from Tesla doing the MCU2 upgrade.

Absolutely no issues or comments from the service center about the upgrade.*

Glad to hear progress on MCU2 battery upgrades though!

* I even had a defective battery heater (1038901-00-K) replaced under the ESA while in the shop. I thought it might be possible that Tesla deny that repair due to the battery upgrade. Nope!