Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neat trick to pass on unlimited supercharging to the next owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from being unethical, for most original owners there's too many pitfalls for this scheme to work long term. Suppose the new owner turns out to be a deadbeat. A penny pincher looking for free SC might not bother scheduling regular Tesla service and also might not be too worried about running up huge SC idle fees. Good luck explaining that one to Tesla when they investigate.

Thought we already discussed this?

Regardless of SC transfer logistics, why not have a dedicated email address specifically for your Tesla? Seems like a no brainer? ( last_6_of_VIN @ ProtonMail or whatever )

As for liability and legalistics, why not drop the car into a trust or similar entity? The owning legal entity can remain the same from Tesla’s perspective even if the owner of the owning entity changes.

It's highly unethical and tantamount to stealing but if you are that desperate for electrons...

Clever hack, but unfair to Tesla.
I’d disagree with both these points but welcome either of you to try to change my mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Thought we already discussed this?

Regardless of SC transfer logistics, why not have a dedicated email address specifically for your Tesla? Seems like a no brainer? ( last_6_of_VIN @ ProtonMail or whatever )

As for liability and legalistics, why not drop the car into a trust or similar entity? The owning legal entity can remain the same from Tesla’s perspective even if the owner of the owning entity changes.

I’d disagree with both these points but welcome either of you to try to change my mind.

I am not a lawyer but this seems like a great example of Bad Faith

Reason to transfer title to son as opposed to just letting him drive the car is to limit liability. Assume parent owns car and let’s the son drive the car and the son causes an accident injuring or killing a third party. The third party can sue the son and the parent (as owner of the car). By titling the car in the son’s name, the parent is immune from liability.
So if you kill someone with a rental car, you AND the rental company gets sued??? It sounds like an urban myth.

All I know is the insurance company told my dad that many many years ago when I got my first car. And when I gave my son a car, my insurance company told me the same thing. Also, it was not a question of the insurance company being able to charge more money, because the total cost for insurance with three cars in my name (listing three drivers) was more than the total cost of two cars in my name (listing two drivers) and the third car in his name (listing just him as the driver).

All I know is the insurance company told my dad that many many years ago when I got my first car. And when I gave my son a car, my insurance company told me the same thing. Also, it was not a question of the insurance company being able to charge more money, because the total cost for insurance with three cars in my name (listing three drivers) was more than the total cost of two cars in my name (listing two drivers) and the third car in his name (listing just him as the driver).
I think what the insurance company meant to say (or possibly said but was misunderstood) is that when your child causes an accident under your policy, it is that policy which covers the child, therefore if the child gets sues, that policy covers them. This does not mean you get sued, but it does mean that the any claims will count towards that policy, therefore will affect its renewal rates, which will affect you of course. Notice also, that this really has little to nothing do to with who owns the car, only the fact that you included your child's car under the same policy. Your child can get get a individual coverage policy on your car for when they drive (which should allow you to remove them from your policy).

This is why tesla wont replace all our yellow boarders on our MCU Displays anymore...
Because of enethical / unscrupulous people like you guys killing Karma for all of us...

lol..

*sarcasm*

Although i still think its unethical and your bound to get hit by Karma eventually... but i guess u can also say it the other way around, as Tesla was hit with Karma right back at the them...

When I purchased my first Model S, the previous owner gave me his login name and password. I updated everything with my information and that was it.

We didn't do it to give me free supercharging because it already came with the car. We did it because it was the fastest way to transfer full control of the car (think apps) to me.

Last edited:
How much is FUSC really worth? Unless you can't charge at home and at work, SC is really a road trip thing. It is not worth most people's time to go wait at a SC compared to paying for the off-peak electricity rate at home. A 50kWh charge would cost around $5 off peak at home, is it really worth driving out of the way to wait 30 minutes at a super charger (assuming you are charging at an average of 100kw)? That doesn't even cover minimum wage.

The # of cars with that is limited and decreasing, Tesla should just forget about it and have it stick with the car rather than the account. If FUSC stays with the owner, then something like FSD should probably stay with the owner too especially all those who purchased ago have got nothing for a significant portion of theirs cars lifespan.

MOst people seem to think its worth more than it really is. Which to me, screams moneymaking opp for Tesla. Have an actuary (or whomever) run the stats, then add "unlimited charging for the time you own this tesla" option for new buyers. Make it like, $1k. I BET there will be many buyers and on average, those same buyers will only end up using a fraction of that $1k worth of supercharger electricity.

Also, partner with 3rd parties for PPF install at the factory/outside the factory as an option.

Tesla misses out on many revenue generating opps.

@Snowstorm I had been keeping track of my S until I added my 3 and stopped tracking each trip and charge in the S (95k miles)
I think I figured about $4k of supercharging use over ~5 year & a little over $2k of power charging at work (using 0.28/kW).
now I just add 20kW or so whenever I need to go to petco or the mall for something ..if the charger is under 50% full

@Snowstorm I had been keeping track of my S until I added my 3 and stopped tracking each trip and charge in the S (95k miles)
I think I figured about $4k of supercharging use over ~5 year & a little over $2k of power charging at work (using 0.28/kW).
now I just add 20kW or so whenever I need to go to petco or the mall for something ..if the charger is under 50% full
That's quite a bit of Supercharger user!

I have 100k miles on my S with FUSC and used Superchargers maybe 20 times total, only 5 of them being "necessary".
For the unnecessary ones, I just plug in because I happen to be there, to pick up some food / shop etc... However, while super charger cost $0.28/kWh, the savings for most of us is much lower as the alternative is to charge at home, say around $0.1/kWh here where I live at night. So FUSC is a nice to have, but is far from being a huge value savings for me at least.

Some folks may really use Superchargers, and/or go on a ton of road trips where their use is necessary. It seems to psychological be worth a lot more than it actually does. For me, I would estimate it may be worth a couple hundred $ total if I drive my car till 250k miles before retiring it.