Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neat trick to pass on unlimited supercharging to the next owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure why there are so many people here on the forum assume free unlimited supercharging is really worthless. There are plenty of cases to prove otherwise. I did some math in some other post regarding this, but it can really add up quickly if you only supercharge and never pay for charging. And in IMO, this was wrapped into the cost of the car when you bought it knowing you got free unlimited supercharging. I reckon if my battery holds up, I might have used about $20K worth of supercharging once I hit the 150K miles point. And that estimate is a conservative one. It might be higher given inflation and such.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Different math for everyone, I guess. In the six months I’ve had my S, I’ve used 1.242 MWh of DC charging - just shy of $350. So I guess it’s worth $700 a year to me, give or take, assuming I do as many road trips in the next six months as I did in the first six. But the previous two owners appear to have DC charged rather less, proportionately - according to SMT the car had 4.216MWh of supercharging in the six years before I owned it - $1,180 (at $0.28/KWh), or under $200 per year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you're concerned with ethics: when I got my car, free unlimited supercharging lasted "the life of the car." IMO, if I trade my car into Tesla and they remove FUSC, it is they who are being unethical.

I also remember "free forever." This quote I found:

personally, I've only supercharged like 20 times in the last 4 years and we charge at home

the delta between cost of supercharging vs cost of charging at home would be what it's really worth I guess if you have means to charge at home

but again as someone inferred time (waiting at SC) is money

As far as I can tell, you can change emails, address, phone number... etc in your account

If you're concerned with ethics: when I got my car, free unlimited supercharging lasted "the life of the car." IMO, if I trade my car into Tesla and they remove FUSC, it is they who are being unethical.

I also remember "free forever." This quote I found:

This. I find people defending Tesla on "ethics" grounds or inferring that trying to keep the FUSC that was promised when the car was built is "unethical", especially when compared to the crap that Tesla pulls on its own customers every day, to be laughable at best. I know of no other car company that has such utter contempt for its customers. Yet, I still long for a Plaid because there is nothing else remotely competitive in the space right now. Maybe Lucid in a few years?

This. I find people defending Tesla on "ethics" grounds or inferring that trying to keep the FUSC that was promised when the car was built is "unethical", especially when compared to the crap that Tesla pulls on its own customers every day, to be laughable at best. I know of no other car company that has such utter contempt for its customers. Yet, I still long for a Plaid because there is nothing else remotely competitive in the space right now. Maybe Lucid in a few years?
Once Tesla owns the car, they should be free to remove FUSC. The seller was paid. And the next buyer would know it doesn’t come with it.

And it stays with the car if you sell it privately.

The only thing I don’t agree with Tesla on is if you sell it to a dealer, it should stay with the car for the next buyer. This would allow for the dealer to offer more to the seller as well.

As far as that old quote to keep it for life forever, sure…. Would have been nice. But I think it’s a bit unrealistic to expect free fuel for life on all vehicles they are now producing. Especially since some do abuse that perk by frequent charging to save money or for a taxi service. It’s meant for long distance travel only.

Reactions: Chuq and AZP85
Keep in mind that for some, SC'ing is their only option.

In my house, I cannot get the car into the driveway without modifying the driveway approach. I could stack some boards to get in and out of the driveway, but once I do get in the driveway the next issue is no outlet. I could run an extension cord from somewhere - sure, but it would be coming from a non-grounded outlet (100yr old wiring). I could have someone put in a grounding rod, associated grounded outlet, etc, but then I would be concerned all the time that something catastrophic could happen.

So I sought out a car with FUSC so that I could charge for free at the SC'er. Fortunately this SC'er had a Target and Walmart nearby with about a dozen other shops (Marshalls, some food places, coffee shop, ice cream place, bank, etc) and a mall across the street. It was always very easy to go grocery shopping, etc, while the car charged. I never had to wait in the car to charge...I just planned accordingly.

That SC'er was about 6 miles away (15min drive).

Then we moved about 2.5 hours away, and now I can get my car into the garage and charge off any of the 110v plugs in the garage. Charging the car off 110v is all but useless, and while there is a 240v plug in the adjacent room, I would have to leave the door to the garage (from the house) open in order to be able to charge the car. That will be "okay" for part of the year, but the other half of the year it's 100+. I would be cooling down the garage if I went that route - nope!

Fortunately they opened a new SC'er 3 miles away from the house we are renting, so that works. And guess what? There are easily 20-30 shops within walking distance, so again...not sitting in my car waiting.

For me, FUSC is a "must have" as I don't really have a good alternative.

ps: I never understood why people just sit in their cars at the SC'ers. Oh well...to each their own.

@TwistedGray
Catch up on the internetz?
Also, most of us are too cheap to shop and spend money (unnecessarily if that is the case) making free SC not free haha
I think that's part of the benefit of having such a vast network of superchargers here in California. If I am not mistaken, there are four within the city here meaning that whatever you need is probably within walking distance of one of those chargers (groceries, crap from Target, pet food, a drink, a bite to eat, a popsicle, whatever).

Keep in mind that for some, SC'ing is their only option.

In my house, I cannot get the car into the driveway without modifying the driveway approach. I could stack some boards to get in and out of the driveway, but once I do get in the driveway the next issue is no outlet. I could run an extension cord from somewhere - sure, but it would be coming from a non-grounded outlet (100yr old wiring). I could have someone put in a grounding rod, associated grounded outlet, etc, but then I would be concerned all the time that something catastrophic could happen.

So I sought out a car with FUSC so that I could charge for free at the SC'er. Fortunately this SC'er had a Target and Walmart nearby with about a dozen other shops (Marshalls, some food places, coffee shop, ice cream place, bank, etc) and a mall across the street. It was always very easy to go grocery shopping, etc, while the car charged. I never had to wait in the car to charge...I just planned accordingly.

That SC'er was about 6 miles away (15min drive).

Then we moved about 2.5 hours away, and now I can get my car into the garage and charge off any of the 110v plugs in the garage. Charging the car off 110v is all but useless, and while there is a 240v plug in the adjacent room, I would have to leave the door to the garage (from the house) open in order to be able to charge the car. That will be "okay" for part of the year, but the other half of the year it's 100+. I would be cooling down the garage if I went that route - nope!

Fortunately they opened a new SC'er 3 miles away from the house we are renting, so that works. And guess what? There are easily 20-30 shops within walking distance, so again...not sitting in my car waiting.

For me, FUSC is a "must have" as I don't really have a good alternative.

ps: I never understood why people just sit in their cars at the SC'ers. Oh well...to each their own.
Are you planning to stay at that house for a long time? If so, you may want to route that 240V socket to the garage wall. It shouldn’t be too expensive to do so, your landlord may even split the cost with you as it would make his place more attractive for the next tenant. Free charging at SC is good, but low cost charging at night while you sleep is even better.

In my last house, the laundry room with dryer was next to my garage, and I punched through the wall to route the 240V to the garage side and wired another reciprocal. Of course, I can’t charge the car and use the dryer at the same time or the circuit breaker will trip, but that is something I can manage.

Are you planning to stay at that house for a long time? If so, you may want to route that 240V socket to the garage wall. It shouldn’t be too expensive to do so, your landlord may even split the cost with you as it would make his place more attractive for the next tenant. Free charging at SC is good, but low cost charging at night while you sleep is even better.

In my last house, the laundry room with dryer was next to my garage, and I punched through the wall to route the 240V to the garage side and wired another reciprocal. Of course, I can’t charge the car and use the dryer at the same time or the circuit breaker will trip, but that is something I can manage.

With the SC being 3mi away and near a bunch of cool places, I don't mind getting it to 80% then topping off at home when I need to make a trip. I get your point though; you're right.

We will be there for at least a year, upwards of two we expect. The guy is cheap...like he wants to fix everything himself. He has the skillet of Gomer Pyle and the budget of a three year old.

It'll be on me 100%.

With the SC being 3mi away and near a bunch of cool places, I don't mind getting it to 80% then topping off at home when I need to make a trip. I get your point though; you're right.

We will be there for at least a year, upwards of two we expect. The guy is cheap...like he wants to fix everything himself. He has the skillet of Gomer Pyle and the budget of a three year old.

It'll be on me 100%.
If the 240v outlet on the next room on the exterior wall shared with the garage? If so, it would be super easy to buy a electrical box and receptacle to split the wire and put a socket on the garage side. Just keep in mind that you can’t use both at the same time.

If it is not on the shared wall, you have 2 options. Split the wire and route it through the wall to the exterior wall and install a socket. Or install an inlet/outlet across the exterior wall and run a short extension cord.

If you basement is not finished, you can just run a new wire from the electrical panel.

Talk to a electrician, once you have experienced charged while you sleep, you won’t want to go to a supercharger unless you are road tripping or happen to visit the shops already.

If the 240v outlet on the next room on the exterior wall shared with the garage? If so, it would be super easy to buy a electrical box and receptacle to split the wire and put a socket on the garage side. Just keep in mind that you can’t use both at the same time.

If it is not on the shared wall, you have 2 options. Split the wire and route it through the wall to the exterior wall and install a socket. Or install an inlet/outlet across the exterior wall and run a short extension cord.

If you basement is not finished, you can just run a new wire from the electrical panel.

Talk to a electrician, once you have experienced charged while you sleep, you won’t want to go to a supercharger unless you are road tripping or happen to visit the shops already.

Yah, but on the backside of the wall is the hot water heater and some other goodies That I'd have to work through.

I'll start with the adapter plug for now and see how that makes me feel. Might be able to drill a large access hole to just run the charger through. We'll see...would suck to patch when we move out though.

Maybe get an 30A or 40A extension cord with a detachable head, drill a 1/2 inch while in the wall to poke the wire through, leave some slack to plug into the wall socket, attach the head, caulk the whole. Now you have a through the wall extension cord that you can use to charge the car. Patching a 1/2 hole should be pretty easy if needed later.

Maybe get an 30A or 40A extension cord with a detachable head, drill a 1/2 inch while in the wall to poke the wire through, leave some slack to plug into the wall socket, attach the head, caulk the whole. Now you have a through the wall extension cord that you can use to charge the car. Patching a 1/2 hole should be pretty easy if needed
Lol, I'll install a doggy door there. Weird for the next tenant though.

Clearly the easiest solution is to marry the person to which you want to sell the car. And to name your children the same name as you.
LOL. I know a family that did that with a rent controlled apartment. Signed with first initial only. Given the turnover in commercial real estate, the current owners are several times removed from people who originally issued the lease. Parent was J. Smith. Kid is J. Smith…

Do you think the battery pack will last that long?
We can all hope it will and seeing that we are not yet flooded by early Tesla's with failing batteries we can safely assume it will. Personally I am hoping that in a few years time the aftermarket in battery packs will flourish, resulting in alternatives to replace the existing battery pack with a bigger and better one. I am assuming that the free supercharging should then still stay with the car if you replace the battery.

As to the conversation if free supercharging is worth it, the answer is, like to many questions, " it depends".
If you have it,
you will use it and the value will increase proportionally. As for the time-element, watch Netflix at home or watch it at the supercharger or take you laptop and work while charging. Also take into consideration the increasing cost of energy in the future as more and more EV's hit the road, maybe even the low Tarif will disappear as the power consumption in the evening/night will go up significantly due to all the EV's charging.
If you don't have it, then it's worthless as you will primarily charge at home and you will enjoy the comfort of watching Netflix at home.

It the end, it all depends on your personal situation and you will always spin it in a positive way, and they are all excuses. I have it and I use it a lot and yes, I watch Netflix in the car while charging or play games together with my kids. On long trips it is a family moment of watching Netflix together, as we rarely watch TV together at home anymore (damn Netflix with its different profiles and many choices), or it allows the kids to go out and stretch their legs so less complaints and rushing during the trip.