Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the 2016 map isn't set in stone but it looks to me like they would put them in Sidney, North Platte and Grand Island, skipping Ogallala and Kearney. I think Ogallala would be to close to Sidney and Sterling. Hopefully we'll find out for sure this summer.
I agree. Kearney is to far west of Council Bluffs supercharger to be reachable. I am not sure why, but the folks at Nebraska Bar and Grill in Gothenburg have tried to get a supercharger there for some time. But its location doesn't neatly fit into the optimal spreading of the superchargers across I-80.
I drive from West Omaha to Cozad weekly with my Model S. It takes all 90% charge to do the 225 mile trek. I have to take Hwy 30, a 2 lane, to make it. I've been waiting for this build out for three and half years.

I agree. Kearney is to far west of Council Bluffs supercharger to be reachable. I am not sure why, but the folks at Nebraska Bar and Grill in Gothenburg have tried to get a supercharger there for some time. But its location doesn't neatly fit into the optimal spreading of the superchargers across I-80.
I drive from West Omaha to Cozad weekly with my Model S. It takes all 90% charge to do the 225 mile trek. I have to take Hwy 30, a 2 lane, to make it. I've been waiting for this build out for three and half years.
Interesting to hear what you have been doing and how long you have been waiting.
I'm assuming you have an 85kW because of your range.
I'm also assuming you have overnight charging to get back to Omaha.
Any idea where superchargers should be on I-80?

Interesting to hear what you have been doing and how long you have been waiting.
I'm assuming you have an 85kW because of your range.
I'm also assuming you have overnight charging to get back to Omaha.
Any idea where superchargers should be on I-80?
I tend to agree with the map Tesla has laid out. Grand Island and North Platte are the logical choices. Sidney is also a good choice; would be nice if they could group up with Cabelas there.
Owning my S since late 2012, I have learned a few tricks and a few no-no's along the way. My car has had it charge down below 5 miles of range left more than I'd like to admit and even a few times where I've driven with no range left.
Can't wait for my model 3.

Thanks to @Joel and his detective work, we may have learned where the rest of the Superchargers in Nebraska will be located.

In the Supercharger - Lincoln, NE thread, @Joel posted the public documents concerning the Supercharger in Lincoln. I was concerned about the confidentiality of one of the documents so I contacted the planner in Lincoln, Andrew Thierolf. Mr. Thierolf told me that all documents are public record and that the applicant is warned of this when submitting information that was previously considered confidential.

With that being said, that means that it's now public information where the other cities in Nebraska will probably be located. From the public document, it looks like after Lincoln, they'll add chargers in Kearney, North Platte and Ogallala. It also looks like I-76 in Colorado will get one in Fort Morgan instead of Sterling (as I had speculated). It looks like there will also be one on I-25 in Thornton, CO and maybe one up in Wheatland, WY as well.

superchargers.png

I may have to move up my delayed delivery if we start seeing these locations show up on the map. Hopefully they'll be coming soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
Thanks to @Joel and his detective work, we may have learned where the rest of the Superchargers in Nebraska will be located.

In the Supercharger - Lincoln, NE thread, @Joel posted the public documents concerning the Supercharger in Lincoln. I was concerned about the confidentiality of one of the documents so I contacted the planner in Lincoln, Andrew Thierolf. Mr. Thierolf told me that all documents are public record and that the applicant is warned of this when submitting information that was previously considered confidential.

With that being said, that means that it's now public information where the other cities in Nebraska will probably be located. From the public document, it looks like after Lincoln, they'll add chargers in Kearney, North Platte and Ogallala. It also looks like I-76 in Colorado will get one in Fort Morgan instead of Sterling (as I had speculated). It looks like there will also be one on I-25 in Thornton, CO and maybe one up in Wheatland, WY as well.

View attachment 189511

I may have to move up my delayed delivery if we start seeing these locations show up on the map. Hopefully they'll be coming soon!

Cool find. Obviously the starred locations are currently open, the circle at Des Moines would indicate under construction. I'd imagine the blue squares are planned future locations. I wonder what the red triangle in Wyoming would indicate?

If I had the choice of stopping at a Hy-Vee or Ruby Tuesdays I would drive the extra couple miles for Hy-Vee. Hy-Vee offers everything Ruby Tuesdays does and more.

Distance from Interstate

Grand Island
- Hy-Vee 6.6 miles, 9 minutes
- Ruby Tuesday 7.8 miles, 11 minutes

Kearney
- Hy-Vee 4 miles, 10 minutes
- Ruby Tuesday .5 miles, 2 minutes

North Platte
- Hy-Vee NONE

Ogallala
- Hy-Vee None
- Ruby Tuesday None

If I had the choice of stopping at a Hy-Vee or Ruby Tuesdays I would drive the extra couple miles for Hy-Vee. Hy-Vee offers everything Ruby Tuesdays does and more.

Kearney
- Hy-Vee 4 miles, 10 minutes

For me, the Hy-Vee in Kearney would work great as my father lives within walking distance. I don't know if most travelers on I-80 would want to take the 4 mile detour but if that's the only choice, I'm sure they could live with it. That Hy-Vee already has Level 2 chargers but I didn't like the thought of having to charge for 4+ hours, blocking locals who might need a charge and leaving my car unattended for so long in corn (ethanol) country.

The Nebraska Community Energy Alliance and Nebraska Environmental Trust gives out grants for various projects. Last year the paid 50% for 13 ChargePoint locations and matching funds for electric vehicles for city governments.

One of their stated goals is a statewide effort to build an electric vehicle charging network. Their 2016 deadline for applications in next month. I might go to their next meeting as I would think they would know a little something about Tesla's plans.

Nebraska Community Energy Alliance

• Informative
Reactions: msksus1
I tried calling the Holiday Inn Express in Ogallala, I said I was calling with the Tesla Motors Club to see if there was a supercharger being installed in their parking lot, and I was promptly disconnected. It might have just been accidental, but I'll let someone else make the next call. I tried e-mailing them a while back and got no response.

I called the HIE in Ogallala just now, and the clerk who answered the phone said she didn't know anything about this. Hopefully, she just doesn't know and it's really happening. But, you'd think the management would tell the staff, as it's a good selling point. Crossing fingers ...

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
It looks like Nebraska will end up being at least 3 years later than the originally-planned date. That's really a shame. I can't believe it's that difficult to locate three locations to complete Nebraska. At least Lincoln is installing. But, a couple more would sure be welcome.