Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OPPD posted something about the rebates on their Facebook page. I strongly recommend staying out of the comments if you have blood pressure issues!

Isaac, who did you have install the outlet in the garage? I want to get another quote.

I used a co-workers husband, he is a licensed electrician here in Omaha. What was your original quote? I will get his information later today and PM it to you. I purchased the materials myself from Amazon ($130) and he installed everything for $220.

This probably goes without saying, but installation costs of a 240v vary wildly from house to house and project to project largely depending on how far (and easy) it is to run 6 or 8 awg wire. Mine was about as awkward and far as you could run a 240v and my guy did it for $300. A large part of that expense will be the wire and conduit (if needed).

tommyboy21, here's the link Omaha Public Power District

The quote I got to install the ChargePoint station was $850. Seems a little high. It's basically a straight run of about 10-12 feet and punching through a wall into the garage. There will have to be a little work done in the electrical panel to shift a couple things and make room, but I don't need a new panel or anything. I just want to get a second opinion on price before I spend that much. Please send me some names/numbers.

tommyboy21, here's the link Omaha Public Power District

The quote I got to install the ChargePoint station was $850. Seems a little high. It's basically a straight run of about 10-12 feet and punching through a wall into the garage. There will have to be a little work done in the electrical panel to shift a couple things and make room, but I don't need a new panel or anything. I just want to get a second opinion on price before I spend that much. Please send me some names/numbers.
I bet my guy could do that for $300 or under including materials. Will PM you his number.

Reactions: Trips and Lpleiss
I'm about to take my first road trip to Ohio this weekend, I feel like auto pilot is going to be a game changer. Even though charging adds a bit of time to the overall journey.
It really shouldn't, or at least it doesn't for me. The trick is to charge only as much as you need (plus a bit extra) to get to the next charging stop. This usually takes me 15 minutes or less. I stop for that long about every 100 to 150 miles regardless of how far the car might go :)

Reactions: WhenNRome
It really shouldn't, or at least it doesn't for me. The trick is to charge only as much as you need (plus a bit extra) to get to the next charging stop. This usually takes me 15 minutes or less. I stop for that long about every 100 to 150 miles regardless of how far the car might go :)

Awesome, I was worried because I only purchased a 70, but evtripplanner and the car say I only need to make six stops to make it. It wants to skip the Dayton, OH supercharger, but I think I'm going to stop there to juice up. There are no chargers at my destination.

How you travel dictates how you charge. My wife and I like to stop every 90-120 minutes so we tend to do just that. We don't skip many superchargers. But it also means that all we have to do is start supercharging, go in, use restroom, refill drinks, and hit the road 15 minutes later and we are good to go. If you like to go as far as you can, you can do that too, you just have to stop longer. But works well for a "go four hours, stop for lunch, go four hours, stop for dinner." Either way you don't end up wasting much time. The only people who would hate supercharging are the "no one drink anything, we're going for 6 hours straight people!"

How you travel dictates how you charge. My wife and I like to stop every 90-120 minutes so we tend to do just that. We don't skip many superchargers. But it also means that all we have to do is start supercharging, go in, use restroom, refill drinks, and hit the road 15 minutes later and we are good to go. If you like to go as far as you can, you can do that too, you just have to stop longer. But works well for a "go four hours, stop for lunch, go four hours, stop for dinner." Either way you don't end up wasting much time. The only people who would hate supercharging are the "no one drink anything, we're going for 6 hours straight people!"

That is definitely not me, my bladder would explode! Thanks for the tips. Sounds like it should not be too different from a standard trip then.

As there are more SuperChargers, it gets easier and easier (speaking as one who drove in the "olden days", like three years ago when we trekked across Wyoming with no SCs). On our recent trip to Glacier National Park (with our Model S 85D with about 260 miles of range) we often would stop mid-morning for 20 minutes (all stops at SCs), lunch for 40 min, afternoon break for 20 min, then dinner (to stop for the night, or go for one more leg) for 40 min to an hour. It takes less and less time for stops as the SCs become more abundant, even skipping one now and then. You have to plan a bit differently (especially if you go away from SCs) but it is really not difficult (though it might feel that way when it is new to you) and the Navigation screen and Trip functions make it easy (to me).

Just a note: talked a bit with some friends last night about having their next car (or pickup) be an EV. She said she didn't want an electric car because she would have to plug it in. I responded that I didn't like to put gas in a car. She said she does. It stunned me, that she thought it would be difficult to plug in. But that is how many people think. I can be hard (for some) to make this kind of change.

As there are more SuperChargers, it gets easier and easier (speaking as one who drove in the "olden days", like three years ago when we trekked across Wyoming with no SCs). On our recent trip to Glacier National Park (with our Model S 85D with about 260 miles of range) we often would stop mid-morning for 20 minutes (all stops at SCs), lunch for 40 min, afternoon break for 20 min, then dinner (to stop for the night, or go for one more leg) for 40 min to an hour. It takes less and less time for stops as the SCs become more abundant, even skipping one now and then. You have to plan a bit differently (especially if you go away from SCs) but it is really not difficult (though it might feel that way when it is new to you) and the Navigation screen and Trip functions make it easy (to me).

Did you check PlugShare and RVparking.com. Before there were Superchargers we used RV parks. Went from Texas to Lincoln for a few years that way.

Thank you all for this sage advice! Such great information!!

Now I need to find an excuse for a multi-state road trip :)

Cool! and just saw you ate at Leed's Diner after your pick-up. I probably already relayed here... my wife and I ate there BEFORE we picked ours up. Congratulations on the car, looked great! I had two other prior Model 3 sightings, but neither driver saw me. So, were you able to get in on the $4000 OPPD grant ? I'm still a little upset I missed out by a couple weeks.

Cool! and just saw you ate at Leed's Diner after your pick-up. I probably already relayed here... my wife and I ate there BEFORE we picked ours up. Congratulations on the car, looked great! I had two other prior Model 3 sightings, but neither driver saw me. So, were you able to get in on the $4000 OPPD grant ? I'm still a little upset I missed out by a couple weeks.
Still waiting on my final paperwork from Tesla in order to register, then I'll put in for the OPPD thing and post here about how that goes.

Reactions: stargazer
Caught a participant in the American Solar Challenge west of Omaha. One of the chase vehicles of another team actually pulled over, backed up. I thought they were going to suggest I was too close to the road. Instead they ask if I'd like a pamphlet (all about the event.. started in Omaha, covers 1,700 miles).. before they took off again, said, "nice car, but it needs solar cells". Another team had a Model X chase vehicle.

Last edited:
My son, who confirmed his order a couple weeks ago, just had his dates moved up a month (now Aug/Sep/Oct). Mine have not been, but I imagine, since I am a current owner, ordered on the first day, am paying cash, confirmed a week before he did (the day AWD became available) that I will get mine before he does. Can you tell I'm a bit excited to get it?

Caught a participant in the American Solar Challenge west of Omaha. One of the chase vehicles of another team actually pulled over, backed up. I thought they were going to suggest I was too close to the road. Instead they ask if I'd like a pamphlet (all about the event.. started in Omaha, covers 1,700 miles).. before they took off again, said, "nice car, but it needs solar cells". Another team had a Model X chase vehicle.
If you had to venture a guess, how fast would you say it was moving when you saw it? There wasn't much sun when they took off today.