Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else heard about the 4k grant for a new purchase of an EV in Douglas County? Also interesting they say there are only 600 registered EVs in Nebraska. I thought there were more of us.

OPPD program measures EV impact, offers purchase rebates - The Wire

I saw that on Twitter, curious to find out more. They also mention a rebate if you install a ChargePoint station at your house. Does anyone know how that compares to the NEMA 14-50 or Tesla HPWC?

I’d love to tag along if you have a meet up, as. I’m still a few months from getting my Model 3.

Chargepoint has two flavors of chargers - https://amzn.to/2LcEiFZ

One plugs into a NEMA 14-50 outlet and the other can be hardwired. The Tesla HPWC is similar to the Chargepoint charger only it looks cooler. As I understand it, the chargepoint has more controls via the internet and their app than you'd have with HPWC, but it might be unnecessary with all the controls Tesla has for their cars.

Has anyone else heard about the 4k grant for a new purchase of an EV in Douglas County? Also interesting they say there are only 600 registered EVs in Nebraska. I thought there were more of us.

OPPD program measures EV impact, offers purchase rebates - The Wire

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they include Sarpy and Douglas county area as I am about 5 blocks from the Douglas border.

With the charger rebate you are looking at only $84 to $174 and that would be well worth it. Downside is that you would not have a charge port opener button and would need the adapter.

They specifically mentioned in the article the 4k "Grant" would be in Douglas county. Good point on the charge port opener, although Model 3 allows you to just push the door to open. You'd also need to use an adapter all the time which is less awesome.

I might go to the Nebraska Community Energy Alliance meeting next week and see what it is all about.
They list the following on their agenda:
New Business: Discussion and Approval of Associate Member Grant Requests (Vote to Approve Required)
2019 NET-VW Funding Opportunity: Discussion re: NCEA board members with 2019 Grant Requests

Here's a fun fact on Charge Point public usage in Nebraska. It looks like they might have 5x growth this year.

2013 - 19 Unique Drivers
2014 - 45 Unique Drivers
2015 - 97 Unique Drivers
2016 - 211 Unique Drivers
2017 - 427 Unique Drivers
2018 (Jan-Apr) - 422 Unique Drivers

Jan - 92
Feb - 90
March - 117
April - 123

I might go to the Nebraska Community Energy Alliance meeting next week and see what it is all about.
They list the following on their agenda:
New Business: Discussion and Approval of Associate Member Grant Requests (Vote to Approve Required)
2019 NET-VW Funding Opportunity: Discussion re: NCEA board members with 2019 Grant Requests

Here's a fun fact on Charge Point public usage in Nebraska. It looks like they might have 5x growth this year.

2013 - 19 Unique Drivers
2014 - 45 Unique Drivers
2015 - 97 Unique Drivers
2016 - 211 Unique Drivers
2017 - 427 Unique Drivers
2018 (Jan-Apr) - 422 Unique Drivers

Jan - 92
Feb - 90
March - 117
April - 123
these numbers are probably less than actual ev's out there. I haven't used a charge point charger in 3 years. But informative, nonetheless.

Someone explain to me what this means??
  • $4,000 grant from NCEA after the purchase of a new EV (only available in Douglas County)
EDIT: Sorry, I guess you guys were already talking a bit about it earlier. This isn't simply for non-profits or something? Am I to understand that this is money for private citizens?!

Also, I'm to get my car on Wednesday... and was thinking about crashing next Saturday's Coffee Cruise (HyVee on West Maple, for anyone unfamiliar with it). Anyone game? :)

Last edited:
Someone explain to me what this means??
  • $4,000 grant from NCEA after the purchase of a new EV (only available in Douglas County)
EDIT: Sorry, I guess you guys were already talking a bit about it earlier. This isn't simply for non-profits or something? Am I to understand that this is money for private citizens?!

Also, I'm to get my car on Wednesday... and was thinking about crashing next Saturday's Coffee Cruise (HyVee on West Maple, for anyone unfamiliar with it). Anyone game? :)
If I was in town I'd be game, but my wife and I will be out of town next weekend. I'd be available the weekend after though.

Yes, this $4k grant is VERY intriguing! Sounds like it's not set in stone yet though. Not holding my breath, but will hope for the best!

While looking at the OPPD credit I also found that NPPD is also offering a $200 credit in exchange for your charging information.

"A $200 EnergyWise incentive for the installation of a residential vehicle charging station is available for a limited time from Nebraska Public Power District and your local public power utility. This incentive is for customers living in the service area of NPPD or its wholesale customers who purchase an electric vehicle and choose to install a ChargePoint 32 amp WI-FI enabled station. Other charging stations may be incented but must pass pre-approval criteria. To qualify for the pilot incentive program, the installation location of the charging station must have internet wireless connectivity."

EV Charging Station Incentive Pilot Program - Nebraska Public Power District

I am pretty sure NPPD sells to OPPD and all of Nebraska. I don't see why you couldn't combine them for $700 off in the OPPD area. I am getting my loan from NPPD's credit union so I will ask them tomorrow what they know.

...and I just got this horribly depressing response from a representative with OPPD (I take delivery on Wednesday)...

Thank you for reaching out with interest on our upcoming EV incentives. At this time, OPPD is currently finalizing the program details. More information will become available in June regarding the pilot, so keep a look out on social media, oppd.com and oppdthewire.com for updates. Any incentives for purchase will not be available until the program is released, which is scheduled for some time in June, and they >>will only apply to purchases made on or after that date<<. If you have further questions regarding the above, please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

Maybe I can doctor my tax papers.

stargazer, good luck with your delivery on Wednesday and congrats! Let me know if you decide to go to Hy Vee on Saturday, I'd love to stop by and see your car!

I had been kicking myself for not reserving sooner, but now the OPPD announcement makes me feel a little better that I have to wait a couple more months. It may just pay off. I'm not holding my breath for the $4K though, seems a bit too good to be true, but I'll follow it closely.

In other news, I saw a blue Model 3 drive past me downtown yesterday. Anyone here?

Excited to see more Model 3's around Omaha! I keep seeing a Black M3 over by 180th & Center/Q Area. Still waiting to be able to order the AWD version...

stargazer, let us know if you end up heading out to HyVee on Saturday. I'd love to stop by and say hi too!

Picked up Ruby today, wife and i are loving it. We stopped at Leed's Diner, a few blocks away from the service center to eat before our noon appointment. I happened to try logging into the app one last time and discovered I was able to get in, showed status of car (they were charging it). After we were there, a service technician happened to notice a tire on our Prius was nearly flat. Upon further inspection found a nail we apparently picked up on way down. Service guy offers to repair the tire, entirely free of charge. They were all incredibly friendly.

Unless it's raining Saturday, I'll be over there bright and early.

tesla1.jpg

tesla2.jpg

Reactions: Trips