Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm a 27-year-old Tesla/Musk enthusiast.

I'll come clean and say I don't own a Tesla. I know so much about them but I'm single and work from home so I just haven't justified it yet.

I live in Lincoln and last Friday I saw three Tesla's on Old Cheney on my way out of town. So I know you all are out there!

Are there any Tesla clubs in Nebraska? If not, I'd be more than happy to organize one.

It would be fantastic to talk with others who fully get why I bring up Tesla and Musk at every opportunity. In the club, we could maybe throw in a little business talk. I'm a business owner and my guess is many of you are as well. I wouldn't mind doing some field trips to Nevada and California too.

I'm open to meetups in Lincoln or Omaha.

Reactions: tmueller64
I would be interested in getting together with some NE members.

I am a business owner, I'm a Chiropractor in the West Omaha/Elkhorn area. I have had my MS for over a year now and have been seeing a lot more Tesla's driving around in the last couple months. Hopefully that trend continues and we can get a service center and/or a Supercharger.

Reactions: tmueller64
Fun fact, Nebraska was one of the first states with a Tesla as Professor Don Cox had Roadster #60. Since then Nebraska has fallen behind but if the K.C. M3 Presale is any indication that will change. I am guessing that 20% of the people in line were from Nebraska.

As for a club I have not seen much lately. Here is one that was started back in 2013.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/nebraska-tesla-club-first-meeting.20300/#post-415684

That's funny, I actually went to that meetup. I'll email Jim to see where the club stands. Will report back.

I would be interested in getting together with some NE members.

I am a business owner, I'm a Chiropractor in the West Omaha/Elkhorn area. I have had my MS for over a year now and have been seeing a lot more Tesla's driving around in the last couple months. Hopefully that trend continues and we can get a service center and/or a Supercharger.

That reminds me, I need to see my chiro next week.

Surely with the Model 3's release. Can't wait to see one in-person.

Model 3 reservation holder here (Omaha)...debating between pursuing the Model 3 or getting a CPO Model S. Would one of you gentlemen be willing to lend me 10 minutes of your time with your S so'st I can adequately get a feel for garage ergonomics to help make a decision for me? I live around 144th and Maple in Hillsborough. Would be willing to part with some steak, home brewed beer, or both.

National Drive Electric Week is approaching (Sept 9-17). Has anyone given any thought to getting an event going in Omaha or elsewhere in Nebraska? The closest ones are in Des Moines and KC. Has anyone participated in one of their events elsewhere before?

Lincoln could be a really good fit with their Railyard and Supercharger. In Omaha the Capitol District would be a perfect fit for next year.

Hello, I'm curious for those of you in Nebraska that are model 3 reservation holders what your deliver dates are on your my tesla account? Here's mine:
Don't currently own a Tesla
Reserved on 3/31/16 online as soon as it opened up (7:30pm or so)
First production: Dec 2017-Feb 2018
Standard battery: Feb-Apr 2018
Dual motor: Aug-Oct 2018

I would expect the full $7500 tax credit available for the first 2 and maybe $3750 or $1875 worst case for the dual motor. I thought I would wait on the dual motor until I learned my date and tax refund comsequences so,now I'm leaning toward the first production group to secure the full tax credit and get my car a lot sooner.

Hello, I'm curious for those of you in Nebraska that are model 3 reservation holders what your deliver dates are on your my tesla account? Here's mine:
Don't currently own a Tesla
Reserved on 3/31/16 online as soon as it opened up (7:30pm or so)
First production: Dec 2017-Feb 2018
Standard battery: Feb-Apr 2018
Dual motor: Aug-Oct 2018

I would expect the full $7500 tax credit available for the first 2 and maybe $3750 or $1875 worst case for the dual motor. I thought I would wait on the dual motor until I learned my date and tax refund comsequences so,now I'm leaning toward the first production group to secure the full tax credit and get my car a lot sooner.

Reserved #4 in line in Kansas City.

As of now I am skipping the the Dual Motor and LR battery. I think dual motors will be a $3,750 tax credit and $4,500 option. I am using that $8,500 and buying a family members lightly used SUV. Since I will have a SUV there is no need for the $9k LR battery. Win/Win

Delivery.png

Hello all! No Tesla yet for me, but I do plan on buying one around late 2019 or early 2020 (unless the tax incentive makes it a no brainer to buy it a little earlier). We do own a Leaf and a plug in hybrid and would love to get into some Tesla or EV club. I live in Omaha and work in Lincoln so could make it wherever you guys decide to meet. Look forward to meeting you all!

Hello all! No Tesla yet for me, but I do plan on buying one around late 2019 or early 2020 (unless the tax incentive makes it a no brainer to buy it a little earlier). We do own a Leaf and a plug in hybrid and would love to get into some Tesla or EV club. I live in Omaha and work in Lincoln so could make it wherever you guys decide to meet. Look forward to meeting you all!

Welcome to our little informal group.

If you are planning on driving that many miles you might want to look at a Model S/X with free charging. Free charging is only available for people that purchase new before the end of 2017. You should be able to get a used vehicle after that with free Supercharging but that could change. There is a Supercharger on 27th and Superior in Lincoln if you work in that direction.

For the tax credit it sounds like it will drop to $3,750 in July 2018, $1,875 in January 2019 and gone in July 2019. These numbers could move up by 3 months depending on the rest of this years deliveries.

With all of this said, Tesla is always switching up promotions, making improvements and changing prices.

Welcome to our little informal group.

If you are planning on driving that many miles you might want to look at a Model S/X with free charging. Free charging is only available for people that purchase new before the end of 2017. You should be able to get a used vehicle after that with free Supercharging but that could change. There is a Supercharger on 27th and Superior in Lincoln if you work in that direction.

For the tax credit it sounds like it will drop to $3,750 in July 2018, $1,875 in January 2019 and gone in July 2019. These numbers could move up by 3 months depending on the rest of this years deliveries.

With all of this said, Tesla is always switching up promotions, making improvements and changing prices.
Unfortunately we aren't quite in a position yet to make the plunge. We expect to be in another year or two when my wife signs a contract somewhere (she is a new physician).
At this point, we will have to assume we won't get the tax credit. That's a bummer but we are excited enough for a Tesla that it isn't a deal breaker. If buying it a little early means we can save thousands, then we may have to take the plunge a bit early. We will see.

I saw earlier this month there was a hearing about changing Nebraska's dealer laws. I'm a Model 3 reservation holder and I was hoping to pick the brains of owners regarding the current purchasing process.
  1. Did you have to go out of state to pick up the car? If it was shipped to you did you have to pay extra for that?
  2. If you trade-in your current vehicle to Tesla, can you deduct the price of the trade-in from the price of the new car and only pay taxes on that similar to trading-in and buying at a dealership?
  3. Is there anything else unique about the buying experience due to Tesla not officially being able to sell in the state?
BTW one of the articles I read about the hearing said that there was 170 owners in Nebraska. I can't imagine the number really being that low. If there is any interest in having a more formal community I'm a web developer by trade so I could setup a website/forum fairly easily. It's been awhile since I've setup a forum so I wouldn't be able to guarantee it would be as feature rich as this site.

I saw earlier this month there was a hearing about changing Nebraska's dealer laws. I'm a Model 3 reservation holder and I was hoping to pick the brains of owners regarding the current purchasing process.
  1. Did you have to go out of state to pick up the car? If it was shipped to you did you have to pay extra for that?
  2. If you trade-in your current vehicle to Tesla, can you deduct the price of the trade-in from the price of the new car and only pay taxes on that similar to trading-in and buying at a dealership?
  3. Is there anything else unique about the buying experience due to Tesla not officially being able to sell in the state?
BTW one of the articles I read about the hearing said that there was 170 owners in Nebraska. I can't imagine the number really being that low. If there is any interest in having a more formal community I'm a web developer by trade so I could setup a website/forum fairly easily. It's been awhile since I've setup a forum so I wouldn't be able to guarantee it would be as feature rich as this site.
We bought our MS in Kansas City. Ours was an inventory car and we did not pay extra for shipping although there was a $1200 doc fee that might have included shipping charges. The car was shipped from Dallas to KC.

Yes, the trade-in was deducted from the price for sales tax purposes just like at a dealer.

There wasn't anything else that was unique.

1. Tesla will actually deliver your car to your door or anywhere you want since we are more than 160 miles from KC. I've been tracking the parking south of the capital in Lincoln and might take delivery there.
Frequently Asked Delivery Questions

2. If you are trading in you can deduct that. If they are dropping off your car you simply hand over the keys and they load it up on the same trailer they brought it in on.

3. It should be the same with the exception of using the Mobile Service and having to pay an EV Fee when you register it.

Reactions: Prairie
My notes for purchasing process in Nebraska:

We purchased inventory cars (With 3500 and 281 miles respectively for about a 20% discount). Both were located in California. We picked them up there to avoid paying $2000 for "Delivery." Delivery otherwise would have been to our doorstep. :)

The only really goofy thing about Tesla in Nebraska is that you can't lease a Tesla here. Unless you go third party, which is awful. So...no leases.

Both my wife and I love our Teslas, and wouldn't dream of purchasing a non-EV at this point.

Nick

My notes for purchasing process in Nebraska:

We purchased inventory cars (With 3500 and 281 miles respectively for about a 20% discount). Both were located in California. We picked them up there to avoid paying $2000 for "Delivery." Delivery otherwise would have been to our doorstep. :)

The only really goofy thing about Tesla in Nebraska is that you can't lease a Tesla here. Unless you go third party, which is awful. So...no leases.

Both my wife and I love our Teslas, and wouldn't dream of purchasing a non-EV at this point.

Nick

@nickb411 did you have to pay the California sales tax of 7.25ish% (6% state, 1.25% local) and then get a credit back from Nebraska? I always thought there was a penalty for picking it up in California. I also do not have a local sales tax so I only pay 5.5%.