Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw six different Model 3's in Omaha yesterday. Three were parked in the old market about a block apart from each other.

I'm looking for a Model 3 micro charging cable if anyone is looking to trade for a lightning or the new bigger USB one?

Mine was parked over by Upstream over the lunch hour yesterday, I've only seen one Tesla (A blue Model 3) Since I brought mine home a week ago.

I don't think my car came with a Micro USB, I'll double check when I get down to the garage this morning. If not though, I'd be willing to buy your lightning cable from you, PM me if you're interested.

I picked up my car yesterday in KC. My appt was for 5:30pm, they came out and got me at 6:00 (not bad, considering how busy they were). It was fun to see all the owners there helping out.

The range anxiety on that trip is real! We stayed in KC last night and left Indepence with about 88% charge and the car saying we’d get home with 5% remaining. The temp dropped to 50 degrees and a heavy mist started around St. Joe. The car started saying we had to drive under 70, then under 65 to make it home. We ended up pulling into the CB supercharger with 8 mi remaining.

Overall though, I LOVE driving it. Used EAP most of the way home, and it performed very well.

I picked up my car yesterday in KC. My appt was for 5:30pm, they came out and got me at 6:00 (not bad, considering how busy they were). It was fun to see all the owners there helping out.

The range anxiety on that trip is real! We stayed in KC last night and left Indepence with about 88% charge and the car saying we’d get home with 5% remaining. The temp dropped to 50 degrees and a heavy mist started around St. Joe. The car started saying we had to drive under 70, then under 65 to make it home. We ended up pulling into the CB supercharger with 8 mi remaining.

Overall though, I LOVE driving it. Used EAP most of the way home, and it performed very well.

You had an early good lesson. Don't try to make it from KC without a full charge unless the weather is perfect. Cold weather, wind, ice all cut the distance. Traveling fast (over 65) cuts the distance. I have a CHAdeMO adapter (to use in St. Joe at the HyVee) because of not understanding all the factors (wind, temperature, snow/ice, speed of travel) and running low, having only a few miles left and the off ramp was closed to the SuperCharger in CB. Fortunately, the next exit is not far. And having a 310 range (Model 3 LR) is nice (our 85kw Model S gets 260-265).

Reactions: bandwagon
You had an early good lesson. Don't try to make it from KC without a full charge unless the weather is perfect. Cold weather, wind, ice all cut the distance. Traveling fast (over 65) cuts the distance. I have a CHAdeMO adapter (to use in St. Joe at the HyVee) because of not understanding all the factors (wind, temperature, snow/ice, speed of travel) and running low, having only a few miles left and the off ramp was closed to the SuperCharger in CB. Fortunately, the next exit is not far. And having a 310 range (Model 3 LR) is nice (our 85kw Model S gets 260-265).
Unfortunately I don't believe the CHAdeMO adapter is working with the Model 3 yet.

And regarding the range issue, you are absolutely right. I don't think the vast majority of ICE drivers realize how they drive affects their range/fuel economy. A lot of new drivers to the world of EVs won't realize that as speed increases it is not a linear relationship with power needed, it's actually exponential. For example (these are pretty rough numbers, not even close to exact), it takes 10 kW to go 50 mph, 16 to go 60, 24 to go 70, and a whopping 35 kW to go 80 mph. Keep in mind that is kW, not kWh. At 90 is takes 50ish kW. So 5 times the amount of power to not even go twice as fast. (again, very rough numbers)

Maybe a bit off topic. I am considering a M3 as my first real car, and maybe you guys can help me answer my questions.

1. Is the sales tax on a M3 not capped? I saw a few pages up someone paying 2-3k in sales tax. From what I have researched, maximum in NE is $325 on sales tax. I am aware of the normal annual taxes besides that.

2. What is the latest on Dealer/Service Center in NE. I know there was a bill earlier this year to allow Manufacturers to sell directly. If this didn't go through, I heard they might be opening a SC in Council Bluffs?

Maybe a bit off topic. I am considering a M3 as my first real car, and maybe you guys can help me answer my questions.

1. Is the sales tax on a M3 not capped? I saw a few pages up someone paying 2-3k in sales tax. From what I have researched, maximum in NE is $325 on sales tax. I am aware of the normal annual taxes besides that.

I searched and only found 1 website with a reference to that maximum. I was unable to find anything on Nebraska's sites.

2. What is the latest on Dealer/Service Center in NE. I know there was a bill earlier this year to allow Manufacturers to sell directly. If this didn't go through, I heard they might be opening a SC in Council Bluffs?

NE Sales tax is 5.5% on the MSRP of the vehicle - the discussions have primarily been around the MSRP that the DMV has on file, since it's not based on the actual sales price. For instance, those of us with an RWD have been paying tax on a $35k MSRP (not the $50k+ with Long Range Battery and Premium Upgrades), while AWD has been based on a much higher MSRP.

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles - Vehicle Tax Estimator

As to dealership/service - I believe most of us have taken delivery in Kansas City, with a few being part of the home delivery, so there isn't necessarily a need for a local dealer. The KC team does bring S/X vehicles to Omaha for occasional events, and I'd presume that they'll do the same with the 3 once production & demand stabilize. In the meantime, you can reach out to any of us if you'd like to check one out (feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to see how it drives).

There is a mobile Service Center in Council Bluffs, so they come to where ever you are. The beauty of the Tesla though, is that it doesn't really need any service - you don't have oil changes, or really much else to go wrong. Most of the issues that you read about online (paint, panel gaps, etc) are one-time things that are handled and then you go on your way.

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd give a quick update. First off, my goal is NOT to increase ANYONE'S registration. After doing some digging and research I believe we have a firm case that everyone who buys a Model 3, should pay $35K for the registration. (Basically saying that as shown on the sticker - all of the "upgrades" are like "options.") Other cars that I've registered in this state have different MSRP on their Monroney Sticker than what the actual pink registration shows. For example, we weren't charged more registration fees for leather seats on our other car - even though it was an upgrade.

Anyway, I went back into the Millard DMV today after going back and forth with more people. I made my case there and they are sending off my paperwork to Lincoln. The feeling I got is that they agreed with me on the $35K, but they said ultimately it's Lincoln's decision. The manager said she wasn't sure how long it would take for them to make a decision - but they are going to call me when they do.

Obviously, if anyone goes and get their car registered in the next week or so, just know you might have an issue...maybe you won't (and you're lucky). Either way, feel free to update the rest of us on your experiences and I'll let you know what I hear back when Lincoln makes the "official" decision.

@tommyboy21

Did you ever get anywhere with the DMV? My AWD is still showing an MSRP of $64000. I just got my paperwork from Tesla today, so registration is coming soon.
Do you have a contact that is working on this so I can join in the discussions?

Trying to find a local 3 owner that would be willing to let me check out their car before placing an order of my own. Live in Papillion, but willing to meet you anywhere around town if you're willing to share your beauty with me. I'm eager to place an order, but really just want to see one in person and possibly drive it (?!) before making the final decision. I've driven a Model X, so I sort of know what I'm getting into, but want to see something more similar to what I'd actually be getting.

Thanks in advance!

--Jake

Trying to find a local 3 owner that would be willing to let me check out their car before placing an order of my own. Live in Papillion, but willing to meet you anywhere around town if you're willing to share your beauty with me. I'm eager to place an order, but really just want to see one in person and possibly drive it (?!) before making the final decision. I've driven a Model X, so I sort of know what I'm getting into, but want to see something more similar to what I'd actually be getting.

Thanks in advance!

--Jake
Welcome, Jake! We may be doing a meetup Saturday morning if the weather cooperates. There would likely be a couple of 3's there.

Welcome, Jake! We may be doing a meetup Saturday morning if the weather cooperates. There would likely be a couple of 3's there.

That’d be awesome. Are there more details posted anywhere about the meetups? Is there a way you all communicate that non-owners are able to participate in as well? I just found the Tesla Omaha Facebook group and joined that as well. Hoping to get more involved and soon become an actual owner.

Thanks again.