Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @uselesslogin!

Tagging as many people on this as possible to get more input (sorry!) - @stargazer @bandwagon @FalconHeavy @Trips @Lpleiss @android04 @HyperionMark

***PLEASE READ - GIVE FEEDBACK** THANKS!!!

I've got someone's attention in Lincoln, but before I proceed, I wanted to get more info from the group on what we are fighting for here regarding the registration fees. The person I spoke to said that they already have spoken to a lot of Model 3 owners about this and they are tired of dealing with because we are all asking for something different. (apparently?) So I'd like us to all get on the same page if possible.

The DMV seems to recognize the difference between AWD and Performance now...but the $35K MSRP they feel like is an "error." (And that changes will be made next year accordingly - yes, there were definitely threats made during this phone call - the person I spoke with wasn't very happy to be dealing with this *rolls eyes*.) Their current argument is that obviously we didn't pay $35K for the car and that the drive train or battery options actually aren't options - they are seeing them baked into the car purchase. There is a precedent for paying more for your car then what the MSRP shows in their system. Our Camry showed an MSRP of ~$25K, but we paid $33K for it. So, I feel like the first argument doesn't hold up. I'd love to hear if there are others with a similar situation to this Camry example to back this up - just so it's not another "anomaly."

The second argument I'm trying to argue that Tesla shows on the Mulroney Sticker/Bill of Sale that the car is $35K and then lists the "options" below it - like Long Range, or AWD, etc. However, as they are pointing out, unlike a typical Mulroney sticker, there is no mention of the word MSRP on it. Obviously, it doesn't make any sense anyway since Tesla sells direct, with no middle man. So it doesn't need an MSRP.

Anyway, I feel like the AWD vs Performance MSRP battle is an easy win at this point. But the $35K battle is going to take more resources - eg. you all :) Just wanted to get everyone's opinion before proceeding as mentioned above. Please let me know your thoughts ASAP. Thanks!

@tommyboy21 The other car I registered was a Lexus. They had trim levels of base, premium, and luxury in the system. I had to tell them which one since the VIN didn't reveal this - but either way they were there. This seems similar with the way the Tesla will be handled if the LR is going to be upped from $35k. Although, I really hope this won't be too much of an issue for the actual SR buyers once that is released since they have a very definitive claim on the $35k price.

That being said your Camry obviously sounds different as that is quite a high percentage above the MSRP they used.

Either way, sorry to disappoint, but I have to say I'm in the 'you can't fight city hall' camp on this one. I feel the $53-55k MSRP is fair enough. I'll admit the whole system sounds somewhat arbitrary but without getting all their data and then going to dealerships and comparing that to the Mulroney stickers I don't even know how to start making a case. If the person on the other end of the phone feels like the $35k was a mistake it sounds like an uphill battle.

1. The precedent has been set with the RWD Long Range Model 3 having a $35k "MSRP". The $4-6k AWD upgrade should not cost $1,775 extra in taxes over 7 years.
2. The price of the AWD option has changed from $5k to $4k, to $5k now $6k. They should have all of those in their system or simplify it and use the base $35k.
3. Tesla will have a ~$40k AWD with the VIN having the "B" in a few months. That person should not have to pay the $54k "MSRP"

I still have a lot of reading but below is the basis for my $35k argument. This could have been updated but I have not seen it. It also provides for a written objection coming up in November.

"The value when new is the manufacturer's suggested retail price for such new automobile or motor vehicle of that year using the manufacturer's body type (Exact same as $35k version) and model (Same Model, Model 3) with standard equipment ($35,000) and not including transportation or delivery cost.

Laws 2005, LB 274, § 187;
For purposes of section 187 of this act, the department shall

(a) determine the value when new of automobiles, (b) determine the gross
vehicle weight ratings of motor vehicles over seven tons, and (c) certify such
determinations to the county treasurer or designated county official of each
county by November 15 of the prior year. The department shall make a
determination for such makes and models of automobiles and motor vehicles
already manufactured or being manufactured and shall, as new makes and models
of such automobiles and motor vehicles become available to Nebraska residents,
continue to make such determinations. The value when new is the

manufacturer's suggested retail price for such new automobile or motor vehicle

of that year using the manufacturer's body type and model with standard

equipment and not including transportation or delivery cost.

(3) Any person or taxing official may, within ten days after a
determination has been certified by the department, file objections in writing
with the department stating why the determination is incorrect.

(4) Any affected person may file an objection to the determination
of the department not more than fifteen days before and not later than thirty
days after the registration date. The objection must be filed in writing with
the department and state why the determination is incorrect.

(5) Upon the filing of objections the department shall fix a time
for a hearing. Any party may introduce evidence in reference to the
objections, and the department shall act upon the objections and make a
written order, mailed to the objector within seven days after the order. The
final decision by the department may be appealed. The appeal shall be to the
Tax Equalization and Review Commission in accordance with the Tax Equalization
and Review Commission Act within thirty days after the written order. In an
appeal, the department's determination of the manufacturer's suggested retail
price shall be presumed to be correct and the party challenging the
determination shall bear the burden of proving it incorrect.

I just got my paperwork from Tesla today, so I haven't registered it yet. I have until October 28th. (I assume we have to go to 84th and Cass for a title check since we bought it from out-of-state.)

Where did you get the Mulroney sticker? There wasn't one in my car when I picked it up. The paperwork Tesla sent only lists the total final purchase price. In my Tesla account, the MVPA lists my configuration options, but even Tesla messes this up a bit for us because they list the Long Range All Wheel Drive as an $18,000 "option", basically including the premium interior in that as well, which probably explains where the DMV gets their $53000 cost. I would guess that other manufacturer's don't change their MSRP over time within a model year, but Tesla has changed price of the AWD option a couple of times already. Maybe that could be part of the argument? The only part of the price of the car that has stayed constant has been the $35K base price.

So, who should I call, and what should I say? Do I need to register first and then "object"?

I was reading on one of the forums that some states just charge a flat tax for all cars. Wouldn't that be lovely!

I just got my paperwork from Tesla today, so I haven't registered it yet. I have until October 28th. (I assume we have to go to 84th and Cass for a title check since we bought it from out-of-state.)

Where did you get the Mulroney sticker? There wasn't one in my car when I picked it up.

You don't need to have it inspected since it's a new vehicle and never been titled.

As for the Mulroney, mine was an 8.5x11 laminated sheet of paper that I found in my lower trunk well when I got home.

I’m not sure if this helps - we also recently purchased a new Odyssey. This one is the top line Elite, and has a MSRP of 46k, with no options (vs base trims starting around 29,900)

Sounds like it’s more about confusion - and Tesla being a bit different from traditional auto manufacturers - rather than anything intentional

C8BF3CD7-DF76-45BC-B72C-F12C3CE28793.jpeg

@bandwagon I think you're right, I'm sure it's not intentional, just confusing. What is an option and what is a trim level? The way Tesla has the Long Range All Wheel Drive listed as a single price bundled with the premium interior probably makes it more like a trim level. I think the confusion started with the RWD cars only being taxed on the $35K price. I was surprised when I saw that and probably too optimistic. Then when the AWD cars came in at $64K it was an extreme shift the other way which upset a lot of people (obviously, since the state is getting lots of calls).

I think now that the state is looking at it, they are realizing that the Long Range RWD should probably have been taxed at $49K, Long Range AWD at $53K and Performance at $64K. So those who got in at the $35K level basically won the state property tax lottery. They will probably fix it for the 2019 model year cars.

PS. There is no Mulroney sticker anywhere in my car. Do I need it for anything?

As a test to see how they treated batteries for other Teslas, I took a random VIN from a new 2018 Model S 75D (~$75k) and a 2018 100D (~$98k) through the NE DMV tax estimator. They both show the same MSRP of 94000 for Fee calculation.

A 2018 Model S P100D (~$135k) does show an MSRP of 135,000 in the DMV system.

So, They obviously aren't treating batteries as different until you get to the Performance (at least online). Not sure if you tried to register a 75D if they prompt you with (is this 75 or 100?) and you could possibly get a reduced MSRP in person (like AWD vs Perf. model 3 is).

To test the AWD part of valuation:
I took a 2015 S 70 vs a S 70D. The 70 comes with an MSRP of 80k, while the 70D comes with 105k.

So, sad to say, but to me it looks to me like a loosing battle at this point. They are increasing MSRP for Battery and AWD options on all Teslas.
I still think the Interior Package should not be on that MSRP figure, but it is at this point. That may be the only fight that could be won based on how they have valued Teslas, and the law as quoted above..

An RWD LR should be 44k (35k base, + 9k LRBattery)
An AWD LR should be 48-50k (RWD + 4-6k AWD)

On a different topic - I'm assuming Tesla puts California grade windshield washer fluid in the cars - aka colored water - when it rolls off the line. I think we should all remember to buy some pre-mixed fluid and change it out before winter. I moved from Texas 2 years ago and had the unpleasant surprise of the washer fluid freezing on the windshield.

On a different topic - I'm assuming Tesla puts California grade windshield washer fluid in the cars - aka colored water - when it rolls off the line. I think we should all remember to buy some pre-mixed fluid and change it out before winter. I moved from Texas 2 years ago and had the unpleasant surprise of the washer fluid freezing on the windshield.
You might be right, except it is also true that I got my Model S three and a half years ago and never thought about it nor had a problem. Perhaps call the local Tesla Service and ask...

A quick post that hopefully everyone will see,

I’ve been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but so far things have been so crazy I’ve not had a chance… until now.

We’re currently (between Facebook & TMC forums) about 50 people strong. I’ve had some preliminary discussions with Tesla about what it takes to form an Official Tesla Recognized “Nebraska Tesla Owners Club”. The recognition has benefits for both the club and it’s members, including access to some beta softwares, use of Tesla logos, ability to host club gatherings at a Tesla service center (C’mon Omaha….) in addition to aligning us with Tesla before state legislators to have an affect on Tesla Sales/Service in Nebraska and surrounding states.

We would most likely however need to form a non-profit (Nebraska Tesla Owners Club) and have occasional “business” meetings. (These could be meetups, with a side of club finances.)

I currently have a copy of the Tesla Owners Club guidelines for our review, they are much more in-depth to what I’ve covered here. As you have time, please review the program guidelines at the link below and let’s have a discussion!

Best,

Jordan

Owners Club Program Guidelines V2018-08.pdf

Reactions: Lpleiss
Finally got ours coming in November! Or we can pick up sooner in Kc possibly. Excited. I never put in a referral code since we didn’t get a p3. But our DA says we can add one now for the charging. I thought I’d see if anyone in Nebraska would let me use theirs. Would feel better than using one from YouTube or something like that. Looks like registration will be a new experience. Hopefully some more updates from the area in the next few weeks. Thanks!

Finally got ours coming in November! Or we can pick up sooner in Kc possibly. Excited. I never put in a referral code since we didn’t get a p3. But our DA says we can add one now for the charging. I thought I’d see if anyone in Nebraska would let me use theirs. Would feel better than using one from YouTube or something like that. Looks like registration will be a new experience. Hopefully some more updates from the area in the next few weeks. Thanks!

Congrats! You can use mine! It’s luta14751