Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEC 625.54

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found out that my charging setup is not code compliant due to NEC 625.54. My licensed electrician wasn't even aware of the code change.

For those unaware, if you use the Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 the breaker must be a GFCI breaker.

Also for anybody that currently uses the Mobile connector with a GFCI outlet; do you have issues with the breaker tripping?

Last edited:
Just found out that my charging setup is not code compliant due to NEC 625.54. My licensed electrician wasn't even aware of the code change.

For those unaware, if you use the Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 the breaker must be a GFCI breaker.

Also for anybody that currently uses the Mobile connector with a GFCI outlet; do you have issues with the breaker tripping?

As far as if it is required that depends on the state as some states are not enforcing nec 2020 yet.

The reason for this is to avoid shocks when you touch the 14-50 plug, connector or housing (a shock which might be due to a broken wire or other malfunction inside the 14-50 assembly).

When you have a direct wired EVSE to power, then you don't need a GFCI to 'protect' the user since there is no plug/outlet which can be touched.

There is a GFCI inside the EVSE to protect someone when plugging the charging cord into the car.