Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Necessity of using Tesla electrician

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How critical is it to use the Tesla recommended electrician for the HPWC? I have a regular electrician who works on my house (has many subpanels, ATS for generators and other equipment) and he is most familiar with what I have/don't have in terms of capacity for a 100 amp circuit. In short, is it a requirement that I use Tesla's required installer or just a recommendation?

I got quotes from two of the Tesla recommended electricians and my own electrician. They were all competitive but the Tesla guys seemed to know more about what I needed and where it should go to give me the most flexibility plus the permit.

No reason, except electricians that have never done an EVSE before may be inclined to massively overcharge. When I got my original Roadster charger I got four quotes, and the highest was 3X the lowest. (I didn't like the proposal for the lowest so I went with the second-lowest.)

Occasionally we hear a story of a non Tesla electrician failing to set the HPWC DIP switches or provisioning the circuit for only 80A rating (64A charging) instead of the 100A rating required for 80A charging. Most, however, do just fine.

Tesla requires that its listed electricians follow its guidelines, whereas others may take shortcuts (e.g., using #4 for 100A because 310.17 allows it for 100A service drops). This is probably more of a concern in areas without inspections.

Yes, any licensed electrician can do the work. My cousin, the family's master electrician, has a well established but small client base and he said mine was the third HPWC that he's installed over the summer and had a couple of more scheduled but was awaiting delivery of the HPWCs themselves. I watched the installation and it is quite straight forward. You should feel free to use any well regarded electrician.