Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neck and back pain, driver seat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I press park, my X pops up the Door Control window. Doesn't yours?

Mine too. I thought it came out quite a few updates back.
When I'm in Drive and then press the Park button, I get the Door Control pop-up about 95% of the time (sometimes it doesn't show up).

In the morning when I get into my vehicle, the pop-up is there about 80% of the time.

In addition to the above situations when the pop-up is missing, if I manually close the pop-up, I have to put the vehicle into Drive and then Park again if I want it bring it back.

My recommendation to Tesla is to display the pop-up whenever the Parking button is pressed (even if it's already in Park).

When I'm in Drive and then press the Park button, I get the Door Control pop-up about 95% of the time (sometimes it doesn't show up).

In the morning when I get into my vehicle, the pop-up is there about 80% of the time.

In addition to the above situations when the pop-up is missing, if I manually close the pop-up, I have to put the vehicle into Drive and then Park again if I want it bring it back.

My recommendation to Tesla is to display the pop-up whenever the Parking button is pressed (even if it's already in Park).
@vandacca - did you know you can always access the same doors window through the Doors option in Controls. It's just one more click but it is there.

And I am quite surprised by 95% and 80% success rates. Not that I am doubting your experience, but it is very odd as it is software and either it will pop up or it will not unless there are other variables that prevent it from appearing. I will have to pay more attention to it to see what throws it off too.

@vandacca - did you know you can always access the same doors window through the Doors option in Controls. It's just one more click but it is there.

And I am quite surprised by 95% and 80% success rates. Not that I am doubting your experience, but it is very odd as it is software and either it will pop up or it will not unless there are other variables that prevent it from appearing. I will have to pay more attention to it to see what throws it off too.
Yes, I did know that, thanks. Sometimes it's just nice to have a physical button to press to gain access to a highly used feature.

For some irrational reason, I prefer to briefly put the vehicle in D and then back in P to bring the pop-up back. I think it has something to do with being able to do it with my eyes closed *and* the stalk is easier to access than the screen. I seem to prefer that rather than having to exert the eye-hand co-ordination to select Control -> Door Menu.

With regards to success rates, 95% success rate when shifting into Park relates to about 2-3 instances in total. It doesn't happen very often.

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled discussion on back pain.

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit
Actually I got a reply email from Tesla from an actual support person within a day and that is both impressive and encouraging:

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Technical Support. We really appreciate you taking the time to document your feedback/concern in regards to the lack of headrest position adjustment. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is greatly valued.

On your behalf, I have submitted your feedback and suggestion to the correct department and can assure you that the right people will get the information. Don’t hesitate to email or call us if you have any further feedback, question or concerns.

Thanks for being a Tesla Owner!

Actually I got a reply email from Tesla from an actual support person within a day and that is both impressive and encouraging:

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Technical Support. We really appreciate you taking the time to document your feedback/concern in regards to the lack of headrest position adjustment. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is greatly valued.

On your behalf, I have submitted your feedback and suggestion to the correct department and can assure you that the right people will get the information. Don’t hesitate to email or call us if you have any further feedback, question or concerns.

Thanks for being a Tesla Owner!

YES.. seen these replies before.. but doesn't mean anything will change.. if ever... I wouldn't get my hopes up...

Good luck..

I understand people are sceptical as it may take some time for a requested feature to come to fruition for many reasons. To give you couple of examples of items I requested and that came through:
1. In Feb 2016, I wrote to Tesla about valet mode not really hiding my work and home locations as it would show last 5 locations visited. In the latest major UI update, they took care of that by completely hiding all locations in valet mode.
2. Sometime last year, I sent them info on a particular location in my commute where it would show that I am off-road. They contacted me for exact coordinates and then that was corrected in a subsequent maps update.

So, I am hopeful that feature requests that many people ask for will get done sooner. And thus my recommendation, if you want to improve something like the headrests, write to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and vandacca
After playing around with settings many times, I finally felt a comfortable position which is all the way up, all the way back and a little angle. Only thing wrong now is the headrest. Its in an awkward position. I wish it was bent forward a little bit. Maybe I need one of those dumb pillows.. sigh...

Just FYI, anyone dealing with neck, shoulder, upper back problems.. please note that I changed my settings for my steering wheel back to standard from sport.. and it has made a significant impact in my discomfort.. guess Im just not a sporty kind of guy. maybe this info will help someone.

Tesla gave me a X for the day and of course it was amazing to be back in one but by the end of the day my neck and back where killing me. I could clearly feel a metal bar that I was sitting on. With my prior X I did not have this issue but with this one it was awful. Not sure if it matters but the loaner had ultra white seats and they were comfortable but I could clearly feel that bar.

While the headrests in the first S were fine, the headrests in the second have been notably painful - as noted upthread. Sad to see this situation is the same in the X and has as yet been unaddressed. Perhaps bringing seat manufacture in-house recently will help.

For the last few road trips, as well as now in town, I have used one of those ubiquitous u-shaped travel neck pillows. It has helped considerably - mostly by adding support where there isn’t any otherwise.

Have seen these at truck stops for as little as $5. Maybe one will help someone who is similarly afflicted.

Tesla gave me a X for the day and of course it was amazing to be back in one but by the end of the day my neck and back where killing me. I could clearly feel a metal bar that I was sitting on. With my prior X I did not have this issue but with this one it was awful. Not sure if it matters but the loaner had ultra white seats and they were comfortable but I could clearly feel that bar.

I got a brand new X with the cream seats and I feel the bar in the seat as well. It is pretty uncomfortable.

I got a brand new X with the cream seats and I feel the bar in the seat as well. It is pretty uncomfortable.

In the first X I owned I could not feel this bar, no neck or back pain at all. I wonder if it's because they took out the ventilation system and now there is something different in the seats.

I am going to Tesla on Friday and try out a few other X's see if it's standard or just the X I had....it's not looking good though :(

I think I have narrowed down my seat discomfort problems to whether I tuck my shirt in and wear a belt or not. I think it just constricts around my shoulders and presses on my neck. Yesterday I took my x for a drive for 2 hours, and wore a shirt with sweat pants, and it was the most comfortable ride I ever had. Has anyone ever got their glass/window replaced with a thicker glass to help reduce noise?