Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neck and back pain, driver seat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Model X, but the thing that really bothers me is driver seat comfort. Mostly in my neck, shoulder area. Has anyone had experience and a solution for this.. maybe a insert ? Doesn't seem to be enough padding
Thanks for any suggestions

One of the problems is the headrest is not manually adjustable. I am over 6'3" and cannot get it high enough without putting the seat all the way back (which is not upright enough for me). The ergonomics are poor either way. I mentioned it to the SC last fall and was hoping they would add a setting to manually position it independent of seat position. Nothing in the last 4 months of patches.

At this point, I am going to see if I can get the headrest up to max position and then cut the wires to it so it stays there. It is probably not safe to not have the back of my head supported currently and I really do not want a whiplash injury.

@ptsagcy - I think the seats are fine for shorter folks but the firm non-adjustable headrest is not as good for taller people. The bottom of it digs into our back unless we put the front seat so far back there is no room in the middle row.
I agree with @Epymian about the design of headrest. Tesla can give the user more control on that. Even for shorter people,you have to choose between being too close to the steering for the headrest to center against the back of your head or sit comfortably and get the lower hard end of the headrest.

And I think this like many other things in this car can be improved through a software update. Let's write to Tesla individually and give our feedback.

@mohanman - I don't know how tall you are but though I have same experience as @ptsagcy and find the seats very comfy, my wife is short and while driving even locally she gets pain in neck and shoulder area just like you do.

I agree with @Epymian about the design of headrest. Tesla can give the user more control on that. Even for shorter people,you have to choose between being too close to the steering for the headrest to center against the back of your head or sit comfortably and get the lower hard end of the headrest.

And I think this like many other things in this car can be improved through a software update. Let's write to Tesla individually and give our feedback.

@mohanman - I don't know how tall you are but though I have same experience as @ptsagcy and find the seats very comfy, my wife is short and while driving even locally she gets pain in neck and shoulder area just like you do.

You know , now with warmer weather (60 degrees in Michigan!, I grew up here there was no such thing.. don't tell me global warming doesn't exist), I dont have to wear my winter coat as much. My back and neck pain are somewhat better, must have been the coat and made me tight or something. I'm 6'2" 255lbs by the way.

mo!

I think we can agree that we are all different sizes and shapes and we also have preferences about how close or far we like to sit wrt the steering wheel. Having headrest height controlled only by global seat position is a presumptuous bit of engineering design. There are features that we prefer the cars to take over for us (steering, speed control) and features that we prefer to manage ourselves (interior heat, headrest position).

I have asked our SC to let the Tesla head office know that I consider the lack of headrest adjustability annoying and perhaps a little unsafe, months ago. I am guessing that it might not be something they can fix with software which would be unfortunate. That is why I am considering setting the headrest up at max extension and cutting the wires to it.

Its too bad because the seats in every other aspect ergonomically are extremely comfortable and perhaps the best I have had in a car.

I think we can agree that we are all different sizes and shapes and we also have preferences about how close or far we like to sit wrt the steering wheel. Having headrest height controlled only by global seat position is a presumptuous bit of engineering design. There are features that we prefer the cars to take over for us (steering, speed control) and features that we prefer to manage ourselves (interior heat, headrest position).

I have asked our SC to let the Tesla head office know that I consider the lack of headrest adjustability annoying and perhaps a little unsafe, months ago. I am guessing that it might not be something they can fix with software which would be unfortunate. That is why I am considering setting the headrest up at max extension and cutting the wires to it.

Its too bad because the seats in every other aspect ergonomically are extremely comfortable and perhaps the best I have had in a car.
@Epymian - I am writing to [email protected] as I have done in the past. I suggest you and anyone else that feels that user should have more control on the headrest should write too. Since it's the position of the seat that moves the headrest, i think they can give us a scroll wheel option to move the headrest up or down.

If more people write to them, it pushes the item up in the priority.

Update: Got a response within the hour from Tesla:
"We appreciate your feedback in regards to the headrest in the Model X and will forward it to our Feature Request team for consideration in future updates. "

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
@Epymian - I am writing to [email protected] as I have done in the past. I suggest you and anyone else that feels that user should have more control on the headrest should write too. Since it's the position of the seat that moves the headrest, i think they can give us a scroll wheel option to move the headrest up or down.

If more people write to them, it pushes the item up in the priority.

Update: Got a response within the hour from Tesla:
"We appreciate your feedback in regards to the headrest in the Model X and will forward it to our Feature Request team for consideration in future updates. "
Every Email I get from Tesla now begins with those same words..."We appreciate your feedback and will forward it to our Feature Request team for consideration in future updates"

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Every Email I get from Tesla now begins with those same words..."We appreciate your feedback and will forward it to our Feature Request team for consideration in future updates"
@vandacca - I understand about generic emails but when it has a specific user listed below, I count it as genuine. Plus, I have seen a few of the previous feature requests delivered, so I have faith in the system.

@vandacca - I understand about generic emails but when it has a specific user listed below, I count it as genuine. Plus, I have seen a few of the previous feature requests delivered, so I have faith in the system.
Yeah, I was just trying to make the point that I've sent in a lot of feature requests over the last 6 months. They definitely appear to read each one and file it somewhere.

One of the first feature requests I made (spoiler should retract when the trunk opens) seemed to get implemented within a few months of making the request (coincidence?), which motivated me to continue sending in requests.

However, I haven't seen any others implemented. This surprised me, especially one very simple request (pushing parking button brings up the Door Control pop-up window), which I thought would be extremely useful and easy to implement.

I immediately noticed the poor comfort of the seats during a showroom visit. I am over 6ft tall so I invested in a Recaro orthapead seat many years ago and it fits like a glove.
The tesla seat has poor support and adjustment in particular the lack of bolster under your thighs which can be pulled to your knee joint.
For a premium car I'd expect this together with heating, ventilation, massage and vibration warnings aka GMC Yukon

I just can't understand why tesla try to reinvent the wheel but falling short

The OP might consider one of the many manufacturers that sell lumbar/neck cushion overlays
aktdesc_1133882870_00.jpg

various fabric/colors
not my style - but my better half is looking into something like this.

Yeah, I was just trying to make the point that I've sent in a lot of feature requests over the last 6 months. They definitely appear to read each one and file it somewhere.

One of the first feature requests I made (spoiler should retract when the trunk opens) seemed to get implemented within a few months of making the request (coincidence?), which motivated me to continue sending in requests.

However, I haven't seen any others implemented. This surprised me, especially one very simple request (pushing parking button brings up the Door Control pop-up window), which I thought would be extremely useful and easy to implement.
When I press park, my X pops up the Door Control window. Doesn't yours?

I've seen things change based on requests I've made. Obviously they're balancing requests, resource allocation, safety, etc. when they do this stuff. So I don't expect it all to come to fruition, but they've certainly fixed/improved a number of things since I got the X a year ago.

@mohanman - On the S, the two controls I would fiddle with the most are the lumbar and the seat height for the symptoms you describe. Adjust those and then adjust other settings to get back visibility and wheel position that you find comfortable. Don't know if the same would help for X. Good luck!

More on lumbar...
When letting others test drive, they tend to fiddle with lumbar. If I don't notice, I end up with some pain after ~ an hour of driving. For me, lumbar at "off" is the best / most comfortable.

More on height...
When I get in loaners, I often don't notice at first that the viewing position and entry/exit from the vehicle can vary dramatically when the height of the seat is adjusted. I was initially surprised at such range of motion in a sedan.