Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neck still hurts 4 years later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok guys my 2016 Model X has always hurt my neck. My shoulders ache, my neck hurts, I can't take it anymore. I keep thinking of selling the car, but I wanted to know did anyone come up with a solution? I think its the side bolsters. It pushes on my shoulders, so my neck protrudes forward (I think). Has anyone ever had a shop redo the bolsters or add more padding or something? No one in my area wants to touch Tesla seats!

I think it would help to know a bit more about you, height, weight, etc. I have a 2018 which I think has the same seats, and have made many long trips (1,000-4,000 miles) and not experienced any issues. I am 6' 2", 230 lbs. Definitely a little overweight, but not too much. My shoulders are not overly broad. I wonder if a custom shop would be able to help with your seat. Too bad you haven't found a place there to work on it. I'd keep looking.

I had a back issue when I first got the X. I think I figured out what’s different about the X and resolved it. Maybe it might help. I think because the battery is below you the floor is much higher than normal SUV’s. They couldn’t have the seat that high so they lowered the seat. This was causing my thighs to not rest on the seat. Especially on cruise control. All my weight was on my butt. For some reason it strained my back. My whole posture was off.

So I have to consciously make sure my thighs are resting on the seat even if I have to tuck my foot like behind the brake pedal when cruising. I can’t bend my knees as much as I’m used to.

This still is not ideal. In the extreme, think of it this way. Think of sitting on the floor with your feet straight out, for hours. You will hunch forward to compensate. This could cause neck issues. You can’t sit in a perfect L shape for long periods. What I was doing was sitting on the floor with my knees bent. But my thighs had no support. What you really want is to sit in a chair with knees bent and still support my thighs. That’s a little harder to do in the X because of the higher floor.

Of course you are not sitting on the floor in the X but you are more in that direction than other ICE SUV’s.

You think you can compensate by adjusting the seat to support your back. But I think how your butt and thighs are supported sets up the rest of your posture. Your body needs to be “neutral” and not depend on the back part of the seat and feel comfortable and relaxed. Think of how you sit on a stool with no back. Now think of a stool with seat 8” off the floor with no back. How would you sit? Think of how much easier it would be if the stool was 16” high. I think that’s the difference.

I’m 5’11” and 175lbs (winter/Covid weight :( )

Last edited:
I’m heavy at 252 and 6’2” I always thought maybe it just my weight give me 3-4 months to get down then I’ll reply and see where my neck pain at

I'm a big guy too but don't have any comfort issues with the X -- did a 7000 mile road trip over the summer without any pain at all.

Mine is a "Raven" unit which means it has the newer seats though. Same seat frame as in my Model 3, just slightly different bolsters, etc... Both supremely comfortable for me.

Reactions: X-pilot
I'm a big guy too but don't have any comfort issues with the X -- did a 7000 mile road trip over the summer without any pain at all.

Mine is a "Raven" unit which means it has the newer seats though. Same seat frame as in my Model 3, just slightly different bolsters, etc... Both supremely comfortable for me.

There are two flavors of seats since Raven. Later ones don’t have adjustable head rests.

I did post this before, I had a loaner the last time my X went in for service. It still had movable headrests, so Im assuming it wasn't a newer model , but the seats were awesome. Much more padding much more soft. My neck and back never hurt. They were perforated too.

Elon and Sandy Munroe agreed the first S seats were the worst seats ever. I'm assuming this may have also somewhat applied to the early MX... But they both feel todays seats are the best seats ever. For me, the Raven MX seats made my neck and especially my upper back hurt like crazy after 2 hours. My 2018 MX has slightly different seats than the Raven, and they are the best and most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. They coddle and support amazingly well in the right places. Absolutely no fatigue even after 8 hour drives, I feel fresh and ready to do another 8 if needed. I couldn't believe it. I'm 6'3 and 220'. Everyones experience may be different.

Right - mine are the latter, "same frame as 3/Y" seats without the moveable headrests. Sorry, wasn't clear about that. Have the static headrests (which is fine with me, my head never touches headrests anyway.)

I had no issues with the Model 3 seats (owned for a year). But I definitely like the seats in the Raven X better. I have the early ones and my head never touches the head rest either. And I don’t believe it ever should except accidents and launches

Reactions: Art VandeIay