Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need 14-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my electrician needs me to get a 14-50 adapter so he'll know how to proceed. does Tesla sell those? Model 3.

Too bad they're too cool to give a single effing clue about what to do for your home charging. Maybe we're all assumed to be NASA engineers.
I guess you haven’t looked at the Tesla home charging website?
Home Charging Installation

my electrician needs me to get a 14-50 adapter so he'll know how to proceed. does Tesla sell those? Model 3.

Too bad they're too cool to give a single effing clue about what to do for your home charging. Maybe we're all assumed to be NASA engineers.

I think I might be inclined to find a new electrician if he needs you to provide an outlet and instructions. :)

In a warm climate you might consider a 14-30 outlet given the current hassles of actually getting the 14-50 adapter.

I love the wall connector and especially in my cold climate like to have the extra amperage available, but in CA with the lack of cold and the heavy supercharger coverage a 14-30 could be a great option. Essentially a dryer outlet as opposed to the 14-50 which is a range outlet.

I have his number if you'd like to call and tell him your recommendation; or you can make your way to Mckinleyville, California and tell him yourself. Mck is on all the maps in Humboldt County.
I don’t understand why you’re so angry with this and your original post. It does take a little more effort to educate yourself when you buy a EV rather than an ICE, but the information you and any electrician need is easily accessible on Tesla’s web site. Google works in Mckinleyville the same as anywhere else.

In a warm climate you might consider a 14-30 outlet given the current hassles of actually getting the 14-50 adapter.

I love the wall connector and especially in my cold climate like to have the extra amperage available, but in CA with the lack of cold and the heavy supercharger coverage a 14-30 could be a great option. Essentially a dryer outlet as opposed to the 14-50 which is a range outlet.
There’s no more hassle ordering a 14-50 adapter than a 14-30 adapter.

Thanks, I have now. However, my 100v home charging is apparently going to be my solution. 5 mi/hr, I don't need the car for 17 hrs each night; 85 mi is far more than I drive daily. End of problem.

Remember for your road trip this weekend: You need to start at 95-100% to be comfortable and drive as fast as you want, and the charging can be quite slow at the end (due to rebalancing, etc.) It's possible you won't notice this additional slowness with the 120V/12A charging, or you may notice it even more if there are considerable extra energy requirements to accomplish the rebalancing (I haven't analyzed this at all).

The key thing is that it's going to take quite some time to get to 100%, so you need to be prepared for this with your 120V range charging prior to your trip to Reno. Don't assume you'll get the same mi/hr rate in the 95-100% range of charge; give yourself lots of time margin.

Also keep in mind you won't have any significant regen for a while if you start at 100% charge. You'll probably be back to full regen when you get to around 90% charge with everything warmed up (but it depends on the temperature).

Remember for your road trip this weekend: You need to start at 95-100% to be comfortable and drive as fast as you want, and the charging can be quite slow at the end (due to rebalancing, etc.) It's possible you won't notice this additional slowness with the 120V/12A charging, or you may notice it even more if there are considerable extra energy requirements to accomplish the rebalancing (I haven't analyzed this at all).

The key thing is that it's going to take quite some time to get to 100%, so you need to be prepared for this with your 120V range charging prior to your trip to Reno. Don't assume you'll get the same mi/hr rate in the 95-100% range of charge; give yourself lots of time margin.

Also keep in mind you won't have any significant regen for a while if you start at 100% charge. You'll probably be back to full regen when you get to around 90% charge with everything warmed up (but it depends on the temperature).
Noted, thanks.

Charging efficiency is also abysmal on 110v. 240v of any amperage thrashes 110v, usually about 20% more efficient. IIRC it's ~70% efficient on 110v and 90% on 240v.

Beyond just being faster you'll be saving 20% on your charging bill.

You're getting to learn from people who've been doing this stuff for years.
The explanation is that there is about 300-400W or so of overhead power being used just running the charging systems. On a regular 120V outlet running 12A into the car, that's about 1,400W total input power. So it's about a fourth that's not going into the battery, but is used just running charging. That same 300W or so is a much smaller percentage if you're able to send in at least a few thousand Watts instead of 1,400.

You're getting to learn from people who've been doing this stuff for years.
The explanation is that there is about 300-400W or so of overhead power being used just running the charging systems. On a regular 120V outlet running 12A into the car, that's about 1,400W total input power. So it's about a fourth that's not going into the battery, but is used just running charging. That same 300W or so is a much smaller percentage if you're able to send in at least a few thousand Watts instead of 1,400.

^ This.

If people with SR+ are actually getting 5 rated miles per hour out of their car with 120V/12A, then the overhead is more like 200W (with total losses of 350W as you say).

1440W - 5rmi/hr*220Wh/rmi/0.90= 220W

There is an assumption of 90% maximum possible efficiency here which is a bit of an estimate.

This gives overall efficiency of 76% with 120V/12A. 200W overhead, 150W charging inefficiency. 1090W useful.

240V/32A would give more like 30.6rmi/hr with overall efficiency of 87.6%. 200W overhead, 750W charging inefficiency. ~6730W useful.

This is just back of the envelope, assuming the 5rmi/hr actually happens with 120V/12A - and an assumption about the Wh/rmi constant - but as @Rocky_H says, people have actually measured these efficiencies directly, and the real answers aren’t far off!

Last edited:

There are a lot of threads on this, but here’s a few examples:

IEEE study shows 5.6% boost in efficiency:
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7046253

This is less than being cited above, but that is explained in part because 50% of the data was collected from Nissan Leafs, which do not have active battery cooling. Part of the drop in efficiency in a car with active cooling is that it has to run coolant circulation pumps and fans longer when charging at a slower rate. You will find threads if you do research that there is even an efficiency advantage to charging at 240v 32A vs 240v 24A in a Tesla because of this (but the difference in small enough to not worry about it).

This is one data point on a Chevy Volt, but the same principle applies compared to a Tesla, because Volts have active cooling:
Chevy Volt Energy Usage – Charging on 240v vs 110v | MyChevroletVolt.com

There’s lots of forum posts on this topic if you want to read a lot of anecdotal reports:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&q=240v+vs+120v+efficiency+charging

At the end of the day, if the cost to install a 240v plug is high and you don’t drive the car a lot each day, you can get by on 120v charging. Heck, when I got my first EV (a Leaf), I didn’t have any home charging (outdoor condo lot) and had to drive a few blocks away and plug into a public L2 charger that had pretty steep rates after 4 hours of use.

But if your electrical panel is in or near your garage, its worth getting a quote or two to install a 240V plug. If you can do it for a few hundred it is absolutely worthwhile (and this is coming from a guy who typically drives less than 3000 miles per year!). Any electrician should be able to determine how much capacity your panel has an install a 240V outlet for the appropriate amperage in a format that Tesla has an adapter for (most non-locking NEMA 6 and 14 outlets):

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters