Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need 15-40 installed NOVA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations on a electrician to install Nema 15-40 connection? I’m in northern Va. also what did you guys pay for the install? Anything to look for or ask? I’m about to place an order for a Model Y. Thanks.

Install cost is wildly variable based on both the individual home and the electrician.
If the outlet is 3ft. from the breaker panel and you have an electrician that schedules short appointments it might only be $2-300.
If you have a FUSE panel on the other end of the house it might be thousands to do further updates.

Some electrician's schedule 1/2 day minimum, others work like a handyman and schedule shorter appointments.

How much of a hassle it is for an electrician to pull permits in your jurisdiction and if he does plays a part.too.

Reactions: Big Earl
Install cost is wildly variable based on both the individual home and the electrician.
If the outlet is 3ft. from the breaker panel and you have an electrician that schedules short appointments it might only be $2-300.
If you have a FUSE panel on the other end of the house it might be thousands to do further updates.

Some electrician's schedule 1/2 day minimum, others work like a handyman and schedule shorter appointments.

How much of a hassle it is for an electrician to pull permits in your jurisdiction and if he does plays a part.too.
Well said!

Also, for the OP, I think you meant NEMA 14-50 (the 50 refers to amps), not 15-40.

I used Havpower. They are out of Maryland but cover Northern Virginia and are a Tesla approved wall charger installer. He knows all about what has to be done to ensure the wiring will be not only code compliant, but also support the max load your car can take. He's done both wall outlets for people who want to use their mobile charger and wall chargers for those who want to go that route. The owner is Jason Zawatsky ([email protected]) and I highly recommend him (I have no financial interest, just a very satisfied customer).

For frame of reference, cost for me (my power panel was in my garage at the end away from where I wanted the charger installed) was $800. He said it was the same price for a NEMA outlet or for the wall charger, because the wiring is the same. Only difference is the device on the end. I chose to go the wall charger route because I wanted to avoid wear and tear on the mobile charger and because I am not comfortable constantly pulling/inserting a 220 volt plug that handles the kind of current we're talking about. I think premature outlet failure, overheating or arcing is a very real possibility. I found spending $500 for the wall charger/connector to be a much better solution.

Drop me a PM if you want more details or want to see my install.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Any recommendations on a electrician to install Nema 15-40 connection? I’m in northern Va. also what did you guys pay for the install? Anything to look for or ask? I’m about to place an order for a Model Y. Thanks.

Tesla has recommended electricians on their website: Find an Electrician But ANY competent electrician can hook up a NEMA 14-50 for you.

I used Holt Electric in Maryland. Based upon a recommendation from a builder friend of mine. But they did a whole house backup generator installation at the same time, so I can't give you a realistic price comparison. (BTW, that back up generator has been a gift..... we get enough power outages in my neighborhood that it has all been worthwhile....I've even charged the Tesla(s) on generator power!)

Their work was top quality. They had to pull large wire (6 gauge) a long way from the opposite end of the house (where the panels are located) to my garage.

Funny you mention this, I tried this for my area and under their Tesla Wall Connector page they describe the outlet as a NEMA 40-50.... *eyeroll* Makes you doubt their professionalism when they can't even get their webpage right.
Just curious - I went to the Find An Electrician website and put in Kennet Square, PA, and did not see what you referenced in your post about "NEMA 45-50". Then I went to the Wall Connector page as you mentioned and did not see what you referenced in your post. Where did you see the "NEMA 45-50"?

I used Havpower. They are out of Maryland but cover Northern Virginia and are a Tesla approved wall charger installer. He knows all about what has to be done to ensure the wiring will be not only code compliant, but also support the max load your car can take. He's done both wall outlets for people who want to use their mobile charger and wall chargers for those who want to go that route. The owner is Jason Zawatsky ([email protected]) and I highly recommend him (I have no financial interest, just a very satisfied customer).

For frame of reference, cost for me (my power panel was in my garage at the end away from where I wanted the charger installed) was $800. He said it was the same price for a NEMA outlet or for the wall charger, because the wiring is the same. Only difference is the device on the end. I chose to go the wall charger route because I wanted to avoid wear and tear on the mobile charger and because I am not comfortable constantly pulling/inserting a 220 volt plug that handles the kind of current we're talking about. I think premature outlet failure, overheating or arcing is a very real possibility. I found spending $500 for the wall charger/connector to be a much better solution.

Drop me a PM if you want more details or want to see my install.
Does the $800 include permit fees as well?