Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

need 2nd opinion on this tesla im considering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is from a private party seller

he is asking $39k
100k miles
2013 P85
looks to be fully loaded minus the rear facing seats, it has air suspension, tech package, pano roof, sound upgrade.
battery/drive unit have been replaced within the last 5k miles

can i assume this is a like new car with a new battery then even though it has 100k miles? the interior/exterior looks close to mint with very little wear.

I got a 2013 P85 CPO last September with almost every option. It had 18K miles on it. My 90% charge rate is 232 miles. It was delivered in superb condition with a 5 year 50K warranty. You may want to look at CPOs so you can take advantage of the included warranty.

it is a refurb battery pack, there is still 4yr warranty left on the battery/drive unit. i was considering the CPO route but im looking at roughly 54k for the same car with ~40k less miles. i cant seem to justify 16k difference, im pretty sure anything that will "break" will cost less than this. like a door handle is ~1000, screen is ~1000.. at least thats what im thinking

it is a refurb battery pack, there is still 4yr warranty left on the battery/drive unit. i was considering the CPO route but im looking at roughly 54k for the same car with ~40k less miles. i cant seem to justify 16k difference, im pretty sure anything that will "break" will cost less than this. like a door handle is ~1000, screen is ~1000.. at least thats what im thinking

The infotainment unit is 5k.. Car is useless without it.

4 door handles is 4k.. you will break all four door handles unless they were replaced with the newer versions. There is a DIY fix but it'll take a few hours of your time taking apart the door.

When the rear hatch fills with water and kills your tail lights you'll want to die.

Just know what you're getting into. .

Reactions: MS16
The infotainment unit is 5k.. Car is useless without it.

4 door handles is 4k.. you will break all four door handles unless they were replaced with the newer versions. There is a DIY fix but it'll take a few hours of your time taking apart the door.

When the rear hatch fills with water and kills your tail lights you'll want to die.

Just know what you're getting into. .

this is what the post is about. i want to know what issues i may run into. I have taken a look at the door handle issue and it looks like they just need to be re-soldered, i am pretty handy person and do a lot of car work myself and dont see this to be a $1000 fix down the line. although this car has had 2 door handles replaced so potentially the other 2 may go out.

as someone else mentioned. they now offer screen only replacement for about $1000 for the common bubbling/leaking issue.

as for the rear hatch filling with water, can you expand on this a bit more or point me to a thread about this issue? sounds like it may be bad seals or water routing?

i would also like to add, i am a person that works on their own car a lot. i dont usually go to a shop or dealership unless it is something i cannot perform myself. although electric cars are new to me and hence why this thread exist. im trying to find out more information before i make my purchase.

thanks everyone for the good info so far

Last edited:
Seems to be priced high for that mileage. As a comparison, a brand new Model 3 is supposed to retail for $35 before $10K in gov't incentives.

The air suspension is probably a liability with that mileage.

Check for corrosion in the suspension and for play in the ball joints.

Check your insurance carrier for an estimate, some carriers are not Tesla friendly.

Not sure there is any valid comparison with a model 3. Different cars and lots of speculation.

Rest of the points are very good points.

I expect a lot of buyers will be cross shopping a new 3 to used a used S.

To me, a brand new Model 3 with $14,000 in options ($35K + 14K - $10K = $39K) with a full new car warranty and loaner car privileges would be a safer choice than a 5 year old 100K mile first generation Model S with all of it's known shortcomings.

I expect a lot of buyers will be cross shopping a new 3 to used a used S

Bingo! Cross shopper here. Yep, thing is that wait for the 3...Do i want to be # 400,001 in line with an estimated delivery date of 2 years after start of production (and that's being rosey)?

Now that CPO's (if you're hunting via ev-cpo) can be found from 41k (s60) to 45-50k (base s85) it is really tough. They were even an s85 with Autopilot the other day for i think 52k. Given these low & getting lower numbers I'm sold on the larger car, more room, classic looks (front bumper refresh to make it look brand new) and power that these put down...all available today.

Do i kick myself for not being ready to put down a deposit & stand in line back then, a little, but now I'm not bummed at all. Loving my hunt.