Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a door handle motor gear (not the Paddle gear)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S and my front pass. door handle won't present. It is one month out of warranty. So based on my research I purchased a paddle gear. Took it apart and discovered that the (one) paddle gear was good! The problem was a broken gear on the motor's shaft. Broke into two pieces. The door handle assembly part number is: 1100300-00-A, SN: T18C0235422.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase this gear? I found many paddle gears but haven't seen this one.

Thanks in advance. Chuck

Did you find that gear? I have the same problem.
Gwendal.

Attachments

• PXL_20230122_001339160 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230122_001339160 (1).jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 374
It might be best to buy the entire motor. It's probably difficult to attach the gear to the axle, I guess it's heat fitted originally (heat the gear and cool the axle)..

There's used parts available from ebay:

But you could add SC how much a new part costs. Part number is listed on above ebay listing, 1008993-00-A.

I've got same problem on same door on model s 2018 ,reason this gear get broken is because is made from cast-iron , witch cracks ,not always , on first second when is fix on shaft ,if was made from any other material ,even plastic , with condition to make the spring handle bit more soft , this gear and the paddle will last forever. Yeah, Tesla have so many parts where need more work . Apologies if I'm wrong . I find here an Chinese or Taiwan E-Shop ,don't know yet if is real , where looks like they have this motor gear on sale , looks like you need to be there local in China or Taiwan, to register.
Tesla door handle motor gear.png
I'm trying to pull some string in Hon Kong ,and from there to UK , hope , keep you posted. Can not send the link, Safari is more strict, but you can figure out for picture to go on website ,only if you open on Google you can translate, Good luck.

I had this same failure. Fortunately, I had a motor+gear combo from another door handle that wasn't broken. Swapping them produced a working mechanical system. Tested with 12v, it presents and retracts smoothly.

However... The handle doesn't even try to present when installed. The motor is never powered. Thinking back, I now remember that the handle had given up presenting before I took it apart for repair. Oddly, the handle still works to open the door. If pressed, the door unlatches and exposes enough of the door edge to open the door.

Is there some sort of reset or code-clearing step needed to make it try again? I tried forcing a software update and that made no improvement. Other suggestions?

I had this same failure. Fortunately, I had a motor+gear combo from another door handle that wasn't broken. Swapping them produced a working mechanical system. Tested with 12v, it presents and retracts smoothly.

However... The handle doesn't even try to present when installed. The motor is never powered. Thinking back, I now remember that the handle had given up presenting before I took it apart for repair. Oddly, the handle still works to open the door. If pressed, the door unlatches and exposes enough of the door edge to open the door.

Is there some sort of reset or code-clearing step needed to make it try again? I tried forcing a software update and that made no improvement. Other suggestions?

Does your handle has microswitches or a position sensor?

It has the position sensor (gen 3). No change in behavior yet. I had the vain hope that after N cycles it would re-try the motor.
I tried forcing a software update. And, yesterday we got an automatic software update. Neither cleared the situation.
I have a sensor module from another failed door handle. I'm getting tempted to install that to see what happens. It is from a different door position, so I'm not sure if there is some coding involved to tell it what signals to pay attention to.

It has the position sensor (gen 3). No change in behavior yet. I had the vain hope that after N cycles it would re-try the motor.
I tried forcing a software update. And, yesterday we got an automatic software update. Neither cleared the situation.
I have a sensor module from another failed door handle. I'm getting tempted to install that to see what happens. It is from a different door position, so I'm not sure if there is some coding involved to tell it what signals to pay attention to.
You need to calibrate it with Toolbox to extend, sometimes that option is available in service mode. Depends on which MCU and sw version

I have a 2018 Model S and my front pass. door handle won't present. It is one month out of warranty. So based on my research I purchased a paddle gear. Took it apart and discovered that the (one) paddle gear was good! The problem was a broken gear on the motor's shaft. Broke into two pieces. The door handle assembly part number is: 1100300-00-A, SN: T18C0235422.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase this gear? I found many paddle gears but haven't seen this one.

Thanks in advance. Chuck
Did you ever find that gear/pinion? I have the same issue

I have a 2018 Model S. A couple of weeks back I experienced the same issue described in the first post - The driver side door handle would no longer present but I could hear the motor spinning. Fortunately I could still open the door from the outside by pressing in the door handle, which unlocked the car, and then opened the door by wedging my fingers behind the driver side window.

I used to own a 2016 Model S on which 3 of the 4 doors experienced the door handles not presenting issue. I fixed them using the microswitches & paddle gear kit from EV Tuning. I was expecting the same problem but saw that the 2018 has Gen 3 door hardware. Taking the Gen3 door handle assembly apart, I noticed that the problem was caused by a broken door handle motor gear, not the paddle gear.

I scanned the web but couldn't find any place that sells a replacement for the handle motor gear. I next looked for used door handle motors without much success. Thanks to the suggestion from @T100d- I decided to order the recommended part from Amazon. It arrived in a couple of days and as noted, the bore size is smaller (5mm) than required (6mm). The length of the gear is also smaller than the original Tesla part. However the new gear seemed wide enough to engage with the paddle gear.

I used a drill to increase the bore size to 15/64". It was a tight fit as I needed to use a hammer to gently tap the new bored gear on to the motor gear shaft. Since the motor shaft is 'D' shaped and the bored out gear was round, I put a drop of Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel Control on the shaft once the new gear was in place. I put the motor upright on a table for the night to let the Super Glue seep into the gap between the gear and the shaft.

The next day I put the motor back into the door handle assembly and installed it back into the car. The door handle started working again without need for calibration! It's been only a couple of days since the replacement but so far the new gear seems to be holding well.

I have attached a few pictures that show the original gear next to the new replacement gear. The last picture shows the new gear installed on the window motor.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpeg
    Picture1.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture2.jpeg
    Picture2.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture3.jpeg
    Picture3.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture4.jpeg
    Picture4.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: SM '15 P90D
I have a 2018 Model S. A couple of weeks back I experienced the same issue described in the first post - The driver side door handle would no longer present but I could hear the motor spinning. Fortunately I could still open the door from the outside by pressing in the door handle, which unlocked the car, and then opened the door by wedging my fingers behind the driver side window.

I used to own a 2016 Model S on which 3 of the 4 doors experienced the door handles not presenting issue. I fixed them using the microswitches & paddle gear kit from EV Tuning. I was expecting the same problem but saw that the 2018 has Gen 3 door hardware. Taking the Gen3 door handle assembly apart, I noticed that the problem was caused by a broken door handle motor gear, not the paddle gear.

I scanned the web but couldn't find any place that sells a replacement for the handle motor gear. I next looked for used door handle motors without much success. Thanks to the suggestion from @T100d- I decided to order the recommended part from Amazon. It arrived in a couple of days and as noted, the bore size is smaller (5mm) than required (6mm). The length of the gear is also smaller than the original Tesla part. However the new gear seemed wide enough to engage with the paddle gear.

I used a drill to increase the bore size to 15/64". It was a tight fit as I needed to use a hammer to gently tap the new bored gear on to the motor gear shaft. Since the motor shaft is 'D' shaped and the bored out gear was round, I put a drop of Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel Control on the shaft once the new gear was in place. I put the motor upright on a table for the night to let the Super Glue seep into the gap between the gear and the shaft.

The next day I put the motor back into the door handle assembly and installed it back into the car. The door handle started working again without need for calibration! It's been only a couple of days since the replacement but so far the new gear seems to be holding well.

I have attached a few pictures that show the original gear next to the new replacement gear. The last picture shows the new gear installed on the window motor.
I have the same problem and have tried to do the same but it only lasted for one presentation of the door handle before the glue let go and the shaft is just spinning in the gear again. Has yours kept working? There is very little space for the Glue to get down inside the gear to actually get good contact to stick. Considering whether to try again with glue or trying to get my friend to make me a proper gear with a flat side like the original

I have a 2019 MS that had a cracked motor gear just like what you all are describing. I machined a new gear with the flat on it to match the D shape on the motor shaft. Let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing a replacement gear from me with the D shape included.