TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Vendor Need a hitch for your 2017 Tesla Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Torklift Central, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Are you interested in a hitch for your Tesla?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Torklift Central

The safest, most exhilarating sedan on the road, your Tesla Model S needs a trailer hitch that will be able to keep up with all your driving needs, especially one that is as low profile as the EcoHitch, and now we have a hitch available for the 2017 Tesla Model S!

The EcoHitch for the 2012 through 2017 Tesla Model S comes in both 1¼-inch and 2-inch receiver sizes so you get your choice of which bike racks and cargo trays or ski racks that will work best for the receiver you choose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2012-2017 Tesla Model S EcoHitch Features:

• Completely concealed design - only receiver is visible
    • 100 percent bolt-on installation - no drilling required
    • Engineered to meet stringent national SAE J684 towing safety standards
    • Rated for 200 pounds tongue weight, 2,000 pounds towing weight
    • Available in 1¼-inch and 2-inch receivers
    • Designed to complement the aerodynamic contours and underbody airflow of vehicle
    • Manufactured with high impact powder coat
    • Material can include a qualified combination of aerospace grade aluminum, stainless steel or steel*
    • Eco-friendly, made with recycled materials
    • Lightweight
    • Free shipping to lower 48 states
    • Made in U.S.A
    • Lifetime Warranty
    *Depending on the application, the product can include a combination of up to three qualified materials

Please let us know if you have any questions about the Model S EcoHitch hidden receiver hitch or our Tesla hitch accessories. Feel free to contact us on the forum, or by using the info in our signature below.

2. johnster007

johnster007 Member

Do you have an installer in the Minneapolis St. Paul area?

• Like x 1
  3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

You forgot this part:
    "*WARNING* Your vehicle may have a lower tow rating than this trailer hitch. If your vehicle's tow rating is less than the rated towing capacity on your Torklift Central trailer hitch, your trailer hitch capacity is limited to your vehicle's factory rated towing capacity."

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Which technically is zero on the Model S, is it not? I love the idea of this hitch, but wonder what it does to my warranty if I ever have (more) drive unit trouble, even if I just use it for a bike rack. And I also wonder what the mechanical differences are between the S and X that allows the X to tow.

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I was hoping that Tesla would have a towing capacity for the M3 sedan, and say "oh, by the way, the MS can tow even more". I don't see how they can have towing available for the M3, and if somebody wants to upgrade to the MS, then nope, no towing...

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

if my 220 lb Zero FX motorcycle can pull a fully loaded kondike derby sled in the snow then the Tesla has the potential to massively exceed the load specs of the excellent product that Torklift makes for the model S.

I have had the bumper off both the X and the S. There isn't that much of a difference in the design. Even the guys at one of the largest u-haul locations here in Virginia who did my second hitch install said the car is built like a tank and they install a lot of tow hitches. They had half the shop staff over checking the car out during the install. And were very impressed with the design.
    They even pulled the rear carpet up to show me the reinforcement points near the subwoofer and the boxed design where the battery bolts to the car.

I'd even bet the S could pull an equal or greater load further than the overweight X with the right class III hitch installed.

My speculation is that Tesla doesn't want to erode X sales.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. Xenoilphobe

#9 Xenoilphobe, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Btw the trailer in the article is the largest utility trailer that U-Haul rents. According to the U-Haul website that is a 6X12 trailer rated at 2,670 Lbs load, empty weight of 1,730 Lbs total GVW of 4,400 Lbs.
    IMG_0377.JPG

• Like x 3
  9. cmarshack

cmarshack Member

Discount code for forum members?

10. Torklift Central

Hey johnster007 - we do have a Certified Installer near you in Roseville. Here is their contact information:
    THE FOREIGN SERVICE
    1746 Terrace Dr, Roseville, MN 55113
    651-635-0395

Hey cmarshack - thanks for the question! At this time we don't have a discount available for TMC members but if you follow our Facebook or socials, that's the first place we'll announce sales.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that for a minute. But my worry remains over what happens if I ever had to go in for a 4th drive unit replacement (I'm on my third now) and Tesla saw a hitch there. Would they deny warranty based on the fact that they say not to tow with the car?

12. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

Having the tow hitch there does not mean that you were towing things with the car. It could mean you simply are carrying bikes or skiis, which is not specified as against the guidelines. After I got my hitch installed (4 years ago now) I talked to my service centre manager about it, and he thought that my use of it for skiis and bikes won't harm anything and it was a reasonable argument to not worry about the warranty since I wasn't towing. I suppose I should have tried to get that in writing, but he probably wouldn't have done that. However if you also have a wiring harness, then that would be harder to convince them that you weren't towing.

13. Xenoilphobe

14. Xenoilphobe

Also I have a wiring harness. No issues with service ever.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I get that, but is it covered if "abused". In other words, if you tow when they say you can't, does that nullify the warranty?

Glad to hear, but have you had any drive unit or suspension-type issues repaired under warranty with your hitch? The reason I worry is I've already had 3 drive units, driveshafts and suspension components repaired and replaced without towing.

16. Xenoilphobe

No one says you can't. They are silent on towing and frankly you don't need to tell them they already know based on pulling logs.

I have not replaced a transaxle or motor. Just some CV JOINTS.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

They're not silent on towing, which, again, is my point. This is from Page 160 of the Model S Owners Manual:

Screen Shot 08-14-17 at 12.25 PM.JPG

18. Xenoilphobe

#19 Xenoilphobe, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Same disclaimer that most manufactures slap on everything today.

What does it say about roof racks, car seats, seat belts, etc? Towing with anything adds risk.

Wonder when they added that to the manual?

My guess is right before the X was released. Competition can't come soon enough.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My early 2103 came with an actual paper owners manual booklet (long before they added it to the 17" screen) and it says the same thing in there. So they've been saying "no" to trailer towing from very early on.