Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

need a Lemon Law Attorney please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a referral for an experienced attorney, preferably in the Greater L.A. area, who has dealt with Tesla Service before? Lemon Law attorney or something similar. I am finally giving up cutting them slack. Thanks in advance!

my family has two Teslas. I had the shudder poblem on my X beginning of last year. Since I don't often floor the car, I decided to hold off until a fix was available and possible other problems arise on the car to have it all taken care of at once.
fast forward to beginning of this year, the shudder on acceleration has vanished and is replaced by shudder at 75mph. Both screens have yellow border and creaking noise when slow manouvering the car. So, I brought it in to Tesla Agoura Hills for all three - well documented - issues to fix at once about 4 weeks ago. They found my tires were worn to the point that they did not want to test drive the car. The metal strains were shown on the inside of rear tires. They did fix the screen yellowing. I left and got new tires and another wheel alignment (I have after market wheels). After the replacement, the shudder had moved to speeds at 80mph. Brought it in again today and they told me they won't drive the car over 65mph to test. I asked if I could have that in writing as this means that my car is not meant to be driven e.g. in Nevada where there's an 80mph limit. Even here in CA, there are stretches with 70mph limit. They basically shut me off with company bs. They then called me that they lubricated some parts but the creaking noise in the steering isn't gone yet. They couldn't take off the wheels because of wheel locks. I called my tire place who confirmed that there are no locks on my wheels, just different size bolts. Maybe I need to go there and bring them a tool set from Harbor Freight with an assortment of lug nuts.
Now, I just got another call that they were able to get the wheels off - halleluya - and they found the upper control arms worn. They don't have those in stock. I have to bring the car again in next week... If the shudder at 80mph is not fixed by some magic by then, I want to seek legal help.
I was being considerate of their high workload by not bringing in the car for every small issue. And now, they're blocking an obviously needed repair.
Interesting side note, they STILL give out Uber vouchers instead of loaners and will not currently do a test drive with the customer to not get infected. I guess, it's important they stay healthy, the paying customer can go and ride in an Uber all day. This company does not yet have it together.
Rant over.

What are the potential root causes of shudder at 80? I had a Lexus that started shuddering at 70 on the freeway. It turned out to be the tires. Four new Michelins and a front end alignment and the problem was solved.

It's interesting that you have aftermarket tires with a unique size lug nut. I think I would be asking the place that sold you those tires how to fix this. It's worth checking for other problems but the tires are one potential cause.

The shudder
Puts on aftermarket wheel, car is aligned so bad that the tires are shot, then wants to sue Tesla for Lemon.
Time to grab some popcorn and enjoy the show...
The acceleration shudder appeared first with the original 20" wheels. The 22" wheels were installed by a reputable and experienced tire shop in L.A that's been much longer in business than Telsa builds cars. The X has regularly shown increased rear inner tire wear, no matter how well it's aligned. The shudder at higher speeds did not appear for a long time with the 22", indicating that the alignment and mounting was done correctly. When it did appear, I still waited quite some time as explained in my post above to not overload the service center with things that can wait. After replacing the worn out tires and doing another realignment with the same reputable shop, the shudder at high speeds was right away present again. Thanks for your input, I understand that this may not be the best place to find a legal referral. I found what I need elsewhere. For now, Tesla is waiting on parts to change on my car which may address the shudder issue as well. And I will give them the opportunity to make it right as I'd rather not spend my time with legal action.

Reactions: GreenT
please keep us updated.. thanks
I ended up finding a reputable attorney via Google. I should have realized that this forum might not be the best way to find someone like that. And, it's understandable. I was a raving fan once too. I am picking up my car from Tesla tonight because they fixed the upper control arms to get rid of clicking noises at low speed turns. If magic happens and the vibration at higher speeds is cured as well, I'll leave it alone. If not, I'll check with my tire installer and, if they can't find any fault with their work, I'll have to contact the attorney.

I ended up finding a reputable attorney via Google. I should have realized that this forum might not be the best way to find someone like that. And, it's understandable. I was a raving fan once too. I am picking up my car from Tesla tonight because they fixed the upper control arms to get rid of clicking noises at low speed turns. If magic happens and the vibration at higher speeds is cured as well, I'll leave it alone. If not, I'll check with my tire installer and, if they can't find any fault with their work, I'll have to contact the attorney.
Upper control arms worn at 18 months? Was there an explanation?

I didn't ask for one. At this point it is quite clear to me that the suspension and axle assembly may not be up to the task in the long run.
Just returned from Tesla and the vibration at higher speeds is unchanged. Off to the tire guys when I have time.

I didn't ask for one. At this point it is quite clear to me that the suspension and axle assembly may not be up to the task in the long run.
Just returned from Tesla and the vibration at higher speeds is unchanged. Off to the tire guys when I have time.

Could you put the OEM wheels back on temporarily just to let the SC diagnose the problem and not be able to point fingers?

my family has two Teslas. I had the shudder poblem on my X beginning of last year. Since I don't often floor the car, I decided to hold off until a fix was available and possible other problems arise on the car to have it all taken care of at once.
fast forward to beginning of this year, the shudder on acceleration has vanished and is replaced by shudder at 75mph. Both screens have yellow border and creaking noise when slow manouvering the car. So, I brought it in to Tesla Agoura Hills for all three - well documented - issues to fix at once about 4 weeks ago. They found my tires were worn to the point that they did not want to test drive the car. The metal strains were shown on the inside of rear tires. They did fix the screen yellowing. I left and got new tires and another wheel alignment (I have after market wheels). After the replacement, the shudder had moved to speeds at 80mph. Brought it in again today and they told me they won't drive the car over 65mph to test. I asked if I could have that in writing as this means that my car is not meant to be driven e.g. in Nevada where there's an 80mph limit. Even here in CA, there are stretches with 70mph limit. They basically shut me off with company bs. They then called me that they lubricated some parts but the creaking noise in the steering isn't gone yet. They couldn't take off the wheels because of wheel locks. I called my tire place who confirmed that there are no locks on my wheels, just different size bolts. Maybe I need to go there and bring them a tool set from Harbor Freight with an assortment of lug nuts.
Now, I just got another call that they were able to get the wheels off - halleluya - and they found the upper control arms worn. They don't have those in stock. I have to bring the car again in next week... If the shudder at 80mph is not fixed by some magic by then, I want to seek legal help.
I was being considerate of their high workload by not bringing in the car for every small issue. And now, they're blocking an obviously needed repair.
Interesting side note, they STILL give out Uber vouchers instead of loaners and will not currently do a test drive with the customer to not get infected. I guess, it's important they stay healthy, the paying customer can go and ride in an Uber all day. This company does not yet have it together.
Rant over.
Probably your aftermarket wheels. You can't really expect them to fix problems that you caused. Try putting on standard Tesla wheels and tires and see if the problem persists.
Looks like they did fix your other problems.
BTW, you shouldn't need a lawyer for a lemon law return. I returned an Audi under Lemon law. Just presented the facts to a three person panel and they judged in my favor.

• Informative
Could you put the OEM wheels back on temporarily just to let the SC diagnose the problem and not be able to point fingers?
Yes, that is my thinking too. I’ll go to them when time allows and ask for a swap and test drive. If, for some reason, the wheels are the culprit I’ll report back. Regarding the clicking noise at slow speed turning hasn’t gone away completely. It’s less now after the upper control arms swap but still happens. For now, I live with it

Yes, that is my thinking too. I’ll go to them when time allows and ask for a swap and test drive. If, for some reason, the wheels are the culprit I’ll report back. Regarding the clicking noise at slow speed turning hasn’t gone away completely. It’s less now after the upper control arms swap but still happens. For now, I live with it

When I bought mine used from Tesla, I get all sorts of noises and groans when turning at a slow speed or at a stop as well. Good luck having them admit to fix that, they tell me noises are normal.

I feel your pain OP, I have been an owner since 2016 and picked up my new X in June 2020. Since then I have had a slew of issues and my car went in for service for the 6th time today. I did some math and found out that since taking delivery my car has been out of commission for about 5 weeks total which is unacceptable imo. Most recently the issue is the shudder, it started around 3k miles for me and it is so bad that the car was vibrating even at 25mph, driving it into service was a nerve wracking experience cause of my constant worry that something was just going to fall off en route. After about a day and a half I get the call from my SC that the half shafts were the problem so they replaced them and the shudder is gone. After I picked up the car and was over half way home (its about 55 miles one way to my SC) the shudder slowly came back and by the time I got home my legs were tired from the vibrations.

I am so sick of having loaners, putting extra miles on my car by dropping off and picking up from service (over 450 so far) and one problem after the other that is not fixed right the first time. Like everyone here I spent close to 100k on the car and while I am not using any aftermarket items and running everything as is from the factory (I want to but don't want to put the money in since everything keeps messing up), despite this I am having so many problems that I have contacted a lemon law attorney and begun compiling all the service orders, emails and information so I can send it to Tesla and formally request a final attempt at 100% repair as is required by law before filing a formal claim. If I do end up filing I am going to just request a full refund and say goodbye to Tesla, sad to say but like you and a few others have mentioned I am sick of the BS and non stop issues on a brand new car.

Let the 2 minutes of hate begin...

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I feel your pain OP, I have been an owner since 2016 and picked up my new X in June 2020. Since then I have had a slew of issues and my car went in for service for the 6th time today. I did some math and found out that since taking delivery my car has been out of commission for about 5 weeks total which is unacceptable imo. Most recently the issue is the shudder, it started around 3k miles for me and it is so bad that the car was vibrating even at 25mph, driving it into service was a nerve wracking experience cause of my constant worry that something was just going to fall off en route. After about a day and a half I get the call from my SC that the half shafts were the problem so they replaced them and the shudder is gone. After I picked up the car and was over half way home (its about 55 miles one way to my SC) the shudder slowly came back and by the time I got home my legs were tired from the vibrations.

I am so sick of having loaners, putting extra miles on my car by dropping off and picking up from service (over 450 so far) and one problem after the other that is not fixed right the first time. Like everyone here I spent close to 100k on the car and while I am not using any aftermarket items and running everything as is from the factory (I want to but don't want to put the money in since everything keeps messing up), despite this I am having so many problems that I have contacted a lemon law attorney and begun compiling all the service orders, emails and information so I can send it to Tesla and formally request a final attempt at 100% repair as is required by law before filing a formal claim. If I do end up filing I am going to just request a full refund and say goodbye to Tesla, sad to say but like you and a few others have mentioned I am sick of the BS and non stop issues on a brand new car.

Let the 2 minutes of hate begin...
Sorry to hear your story. I can imagine the frustration you're going through. I haven't had the time yet to swap my wheels to possibly eliminate my shudder. But the clicking noise at slow speeds is back just like before the repair.