Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a second charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My GF and I have separate homes (divorced life). I've read that the constant removal of the 14-50 can weaken the outlet. Should I invest in a second mobile charger? I've thought about getting a wall charger for my house, but the 14-50s are out of stock again and supposedly discontinued.

that adapter is a PITA to get out of the unit as it is. I don't have a lot of confidence in the longevity of taking that out repeatedly. They make it flush, as if you're never (rarely) supposed to remove it and you have to tug on the cable.

Mine comes out relatively easily with some firm force. It’s definitely made to be removable so you can use whatever adapter you need. I regularly switch between 14-50 and 10-30, with occasional 5-15 use

My GF and I have separate homes (divorced life). I've read that the constant removal of the 14-50 can weaken the outlet. Should I invest in a second mobile charger? I've thought about getting a wall charger for my house, but the 14-50s are out of stock again and supposedly discontinued.

I don't see why not, except that the wall connector looks nicer. You save $225.

What you can also do is to remove the 14-50 outlet and wire that directly into the wall connector. There are 2 live wires (black or red) and ground (manual page 20), set the current to 40A and voltage to "Line to Line <= 240" (page 21). Discard the neutral (white wire) from the 14-50 with a cap.

An electrician should do it for $50 - $100 if you bargain.

Disclaimer: not an electrician, and you would want to read/ask a bit more first for DIY. You'd want a multi-meter also.

The 14-50 wall connector is a product that doesn't need to exist, since the mobile connector exists for those who want removability. The wall connector unscrews from the wall just as easily as it goes up.

Last edited:

Yes, constant removal and insertion on 14-50 receptacles is not great (especially on low end ones like Leviton units which are extremely common).

Inserting and removing the adapter on the UMC is likely bad too, I doubt that custom plug is rated for many cycles.

Would you rather put the wear and tear (if you are going to insert/remove all the time) on the $10-40 14-50 receptacle, or on the several hundred dollar UMC?

I personally am a massive Wall Connector fan, but that is just me. A second UMC would also work fine it sounds like. A Corded Mobile Connector could also work.

I would not put my own pigtail on a Wall Connector as you miss out on the thermal sensing abilities of the Tesla factory options. Receptacles fail a lot and so that thermal sensing ability is important.

Yes, constant removal and insertion on 14-50 receptacles is not great (especially on low end ones like Leviton units which are extremely common).

Inserting and removing the adapter on the UMC is likely bad too, I doubt that custom plug is rated for many cycles.

Would you rather put the wear and tear (if you are going to insert/remove all the time) on the $10-40 14-50 receptacle, or on the several hundred dollar UMC?

I personally am a massive Wall Connector fan, but that is just me. A second UMC would also work fine it sounds like. A Corded Mobile Connector could also work.

I would not put my own pigtail on a Wall Connector as you miss out on the thermal sensing abilities of the Tesla factory options. Receptacles fail a lot and so that thermal sensing ability is important.
you bring up a good point. maybe i'll risk the outlet for the sake of saving a few dollars.

Reactions: eprosenx
I would consider it for convenience if you're going back and forth and you charge at both locations frequently.

I would not disconnect at the UMC - don't want to wear that out.

Replacing the outlet with a good quality outlet will cost $50-90 in parts plus labor if your not a DIY type of person, so the second UMC doesn't look too bad.

I have only charged my 2017 S one time in 50k miles using the UMC. That was visiting family. Otherwise when I travel I just use superchargers or J1772 public chargers. I do not worry about keeping the UMC in the car.