Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice. Bought new S, probs and can't even get Tesla to talk on the phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service is all over phone app. Sales tells me I have to go through service.

I bought a new S and picked up a week ago today. This is my 3rd new model S.
They delivered the 2nd in 2017 (which is currently waiting on service but I don't want to drive it 200 miles to service center).
My new one was $100,500+ fees. The windshield is not sealed, the rear window blows in air on highway.

The ap says I have to drive it back to Chicago?? WTF man. 100k for a new car, it's defective on delivery and I have to drive BACK again? I already went there to get it. So now I"m wondering if I just pay out of pocket. Prob cheaper then driving to Chi, being w/o the car. Seriously shitty situation.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I am with you this was my first Tesla and I have never been ignored so much when buying a new car. The day I went to pick it up they didn't seem interested in me getting the car took them like 1-2 hours to talk to me even though I was scheduled. The app wants to only setup service appointments either at a SS or mobile. I just had simple questions like a noise it was making and once my screens turned off while on the road apparently not a big deals but still I would appreciate being able to talk to someone

Reactions: BulldogsRus
This is so bad. Same here. Have my first model s for 4 months, had it in service for 7 weeks during this period. So ****ing annoying. People are super nice at the service center but there is no way to call them, it is a pain in the neck.

Why in blazes hasn't Tesla hired someone who can address bad service issues? Bad service is a major vulnerability and endangers the company. If I were in charge of marketing for a competitor, I would be jumping all over that problem.

As a potential buyer this scares the crap out of me.

I've had my heart set on getting one and within 2 days of research all I see are service horror stories. And I was looking for a USED one. I'm still considering, despite all this. This was not what I was expecting as I started looking though.

Do you all think they can fix it?

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

I've had my heart set on getting one and within 2 days of research all I see are service horror stories. And I was looking for a USED one. I'm still considering, despite all this. This was not what I was expecting as I started looking though.

Honestly, I've been wanting to pull the trigger for months and at this point all indications are that "getting a good one" i.e. no flaws, gaps, over-spray, etc. is a crap shoot, and that's buying NEW. Granted, it's only a matter of time before this thread gets bombarded with owners stating otherwise, that you should just blindly jump in, because they've owned one for X years with zero issues and that the posters above are "the exception to the rule". At this point it appears that the Model 3 is built a bit better, which is kinda bizarre when considering it's their base model, but I digress.

Id stay away from new S right now. Wait until the updates come in the next 6-9 months.. I feel like all ive seen are issues lately buying a new S. I have nothing buy good things to say about Tesla service in Chicago area. My car was perfect with no noises and I had a main fuse blow out on me at about 12k miles. Tesla came and picked it up with a flatbed within 2 hours, re-reimbursed me for an UBER ride to the service center that was 1 hour away and fixed it within a week. They paid for a high end rental at Enterprise as well.. So I have nothing but good things to say about them!

Reactions: Iceh8r and TK16688

All EMusk has to do is hire an experienced executive who is given the authority to address these issues. And then stay out of his or her way.

Reactions: house9
My tweet just now:

@elonmusk Judging by the many threads at Tesla Motors Club about horrific customer service, I think you need to hire an exec who can fix it & give the authority to do so. If I were in charge of a competitor's marketing, I would be advertising #Tesla's service problems.

Reactions: ahkahn
Honestly, I've been wanting to pull the trigger for months and at this point all indications are that "getting a good one" i.e. no flaws, gaps, over-spray, etc. is a crap shoot, and that's buying NEW. Granted, it's only a matter of time before this thread gets bombarded with owners stating otherwise, that you should just blindly jump in, because they've owned one for X years with zero issues and that the posters above are "the exception to the rule". At this point it appears that the Model 3 is built a bit better, which is kinda bizarre when considering it's their base model, but I digress.
Forums like this, for any product, tend to attract people with issues and complaints. The vast majority of owners of any product don't visit forums, they simply enjoy their product. I don't think it's any different for a Tesla. Does anyone really think that most Tesla owners visit this forum? Only rarely have I met an owner at a Tesla supercharger that even knows this forum exists.

So yes, I suspect that the chronic complainers are the exception to the rule. Those that don't complain every day in every post are not necessarily 'fan boys'. That gets so tiring. Tesla has growing pains, not many would deny that, but there are many that still find the overall Tesla experience a good one.

I'm thinking of selling my amazing 75D which has no issues but I'm afraid of rolling the dice again and prospective buyers think they can compare my car with whatever other listings without appreciating how unique the car is.
So why sell it? In 2 years of ownership my S75 has had 2 'issues', the yellowing screen and a clogged windshield washer line. I'd have to think hard about any other car I've ever owned that's had so few issues after 2 years. :)

Forums like this, for any product, tend to attract people with issues and complaints. The vast majority of owners of any product don't visit forums, they simply enjoy their product. I don't think it's any different for a Tesla. Does anyone really think that most Tesla owners visit this forum? Only rarely have I met an owner at a Tesla supercharger that even knows this forum exists.

So yes, I suspect that the chronic complainers are the exception to the rule. Those that don't complain every day in every post are not necessarily 'fan boys'. That gets so tiring. Tesla has growing pains, not many would deny that, but there are many that still find the overall Tesla experience a good one.
That’s such a valid point. Which is why I Hope in forums like this that some owners would post about their good experiences. Some have done that in this thread, so that’s a start.

Reactions: Ken7 and SO16
That’s such a valid point. Which is why I Hope in forums like this that some owners would post about their good experiences. Some have done that in this thread, so that’s a start.

Although I’m much more concerned about service than I am fit and finish or small things that get fixed. The service experience seems to be frequently bad. I’m hoping to see some replies about good service experiences.

Why in blazes hasn't Tesla hired someone who can address bad service issues? Bad service is a major vulnerability and endangers the company. If I were in charge of marketing for a competitor, I would be jumping all over that problem.
Other automakers don’t really care to sell BEVs but instead build them to meet CAFE and other regulations.

Chevy could really jump on this since the Bolt has nearly Tesla range, but all they seem to want to sell is TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS SUVS SUVS SUVS TRUCKS!

THIS

Reactions: aerodyne
Service is all over phone app. Sales tells me I have to go through service.

I bought a new S and picked up a week ago today. This is my 3rd new model S.
They delivered the 2nd in 2017 (which is currently waiting on service but I don't want to drive it 200 miles to service center).
My new one was $100,500+ fees. The windshield is not sealed, the rear window blows in air on highway.

The ap says I have to drive it back to Chicago?? WTF man. 100k for a new car, it's defective on delivery and I have to drive BACK again? I already went there to get it. So now I"m wondering if I just pay out of pocket. Prob cheaper then driving to Chi, being w/o the car. Seriously shitty situation.
if it does not have 1,000 miles, give it back