Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice....Car in workshop for 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I met with an accident on Nov 28th and sent the vehicle to a Tesla authorized collision center on Dec 2nd.
While the vehicle was under repair, the collision center says that the rear left side window went up on its own and shattered. Insurance company is not paying for it since the damage was not because of the accident and the electrical fault should be covered by Tesla warranty.
Collision center is refusing to take the responsibility and asks me to contact Tesla directly for reimbursement or pay for it form my pocket.
Finally convinced the collision center to take the car to Tesla service center but the service center is not able determine the cause of the window shattering.
Tesla support now says that the car is not covered under warranty if the vehicle was already in the collision center.
To top it all, Tesla support now says that the Collision center is not an authorized body shop anymore.
It would cost me $580 to fix both regulator and the glass.

Please advise what I can do.
IMG_20191202_103108.jpg IMG_20191202_103038.jpg IMG_20191202_103047.jpg IMG_20191202_103058.jpg

The shop should have garage keepers insurance coverage. That coverage generally covers any damage to a customer's auto while they have it. I'd press them to either cover it or file a claim with their insurance or you'll be coming after them through legal means. Sometimes just the threat of that can get them to at least file a claim with their insurance or pay out of pocket due to the cost not being that much.

The shop should have garage keepers insurance coverage. That coverage generally covers any damage to a customer's auto while they have it. I'd press them to either cover it or file a claim with their insurance or you'll be coming after them through legal means. Sometimes just the threat of that can get them to at least file a claim with their insurance or pay out of pocket due to the cost not being that much.
thanks. I'll try that

"the collision center says that the rear left side window went up on its own and shattered." when they slammed the door shut.

There, I fixed it for you. As others have said, the shop should have insurance, and it's a big red flag that they lost their authorization and didn't tell you that their insurance will cover the new damage. They're shady.

I met with an accident on Nov 28th and sent the vehicle to a Tesla authorized collision center on Dec 2nd.
While the vehicle was under repair, the collision center says that the rear left side window went up on its own and shattered. Insurance company is not paying for it since the damage was not because of the accident and the electrical fault should be covered by Tesla warranty.
Collision center is refusing to take the responsibility and asks me to contact Tesla directly for reimbursement or pay for it form my pocket.
Finally convinced the collision center to take the car to Tesla service center but the service center is not able determine the cause of the window shattering.
Tesla support now says that the car is not covered under warranty if the vehicle was already in the collision center.
To top it all, Tesla support now says that the Collision center is not an authorized body shop anymore.
It would cost me $580 to fix both regulator and the glass.

Please advise what I can do.
View attachment 518861 View attachment 518857 View attachment 518858 View attachment 518859
A guess; The window had been lowered manually and when the door was slammed it hit the door frame and shattered which Tesla warns of. Anyone working on a Tesla should know that. What kind of damage could possible have caused the car to be in the shop for three months. I wonder why Tesla withdrew certification. It is not easy to get.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
A guess; The window had been lowered manually and when the door was slammed it hit the door frame and shattered which Tesla warns of. Anyone working on a Tesla should know that. What kind of damage could possible have caused the car to be in the shop for three months. I wonder why Tesla withdrew certification. It is not easy to get.
I was unaware of this! Do you mean that closing the door hard with the window down will cause breakage? That doesn't seem right, I've never heard of that on other cars.