Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice for 20" tires on a refreshed S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
I have a refreshed S long range that I plan on going with 20" wheels. I hope it to be the Goldilocks option between the 19's and 21's. I plan on something like a Signature/BC Wheel in the stock width of 9.5"/10.5". I purposely ordered the 19" Aeros as I knew I'd swap out wheels at some point.

I am debating between a few tire options and want some input.

Looking at 255/40/20 and 285/35/20 with one of the following:
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (30k mileage warranty)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (45k mileage warranty)
  • Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 (30k mileage warranty)

Or 265/40/20 and 295/35/20 with one of the following:
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (30k mileage warranty)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (45k mileage warranty)
In general, I am leaning a bit more toward the 265/295 combo as it would give a bit more rim protection to expensive wheels and a bit more traction. While not a Plaid, it often sounds like there are traction issues from the front tires when hard on the throttle so I wouldn't mind a bit more contact patch. At the same time, I don't want to kill my range which is excellent now. I realize ditching the aeros is going to cost a bit but I am prepared for that change.

The car is very quiet on the highway now and don't want something that is going to howl all the time and ruin a relaxing cruising environment.

I don't have to worry too much about cold/snow but it does happen in Dallas and most likely will drive the 3 then which has all seasons. I kept the all season ones as an option due to their 50% better tire warranty. So likely they should last longer and less dismounting and mounting of tires on expensive rims will make me feel better. Having all seasons could be a plus though if I have to drive it for a few months if my spouse has the 3 most of the time.

General feedback is helpful and I have a few specific questions as well if anyone can help.

For those who have driven the PS4S and the PS All Seasons, how much difference is there in handling, turn in, and wet/dry lateral grip?
I've heard good things about the Contis, how do they compare to either of the Michelins?
How much of a range hit do you think the 10mm wider tires will have?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.