Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice from experienced owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am from Moncton, New Brunswick.

I am trying to decide between New Model 3 (long range, all wheel drive) vs used model x.

I need to drive a lot for work, all over New Brunswick. Model 3 is perfect size as I drive alone. My biggest concern is winter driving. I have never owned a sedan and don’t know how it will handle snow as I end up driving right after or during snow storm multiple times.

Any advice from experienced owners of Model 3 or model x with New Brunswick snow condition?

The Dual motor (or AWD in other cars) is one of the best drivetrains in existence today. Power delivery is so smooth and traction is just unbelievable. Couple that with winter tires and you won't have to worry about getting stuck anywhere.

Personally I'd get a new Model 3 over a used X because of the newer technology - newer battery tech, faster charging etc

Funny, i spent 10 years in Moncton.
I would say the main issue with the 3 is the ground clearance. That's where you can get stuck.
So i guess, it all depends. If you stay on main highways and in wide streets well cleared, no issue with the 3.
Don't try magnetic hill though ;-)

Reactions: ConfusedF
Why not Model Y? Strange that you're comparing a sedan (3) so an SUV (X). Is the Y not available in Canada or something? Is it a cost thing perhaps?

Also, the Y has a heat pump which gives better efficiency.

I did consider Model Y and actually that was the first car that I considered but I don’t have preorder and when I called Tesla they can’t tell me how long it will be for delivery. I will need new car in next few weeks and didn’t seem like I will be able to get Model Y.

If you can take delivery before midnight tonight, they might be magically be able to provide you one. EOQ rush.

No matter, sounds like a Model 3 will also be a great choice for you.

No matter what you take home, you will be amazed at how much better Electric Drive works on snow. Best throttle response ever.

Model Y has greater ground clearance for deep snow, and comes with AWD.

It;s Heat Pump will provide better performance and efficiency in the cold winters.

Worth a look.

You are right Model Y is definitely better option. It’s just I missed the preorder timeframe so I won’t get delivery on time.

and another minor concern was getting a car from first batch (where we don’t know if there will be any issues) considering we don’t have service center in NB

If you can take delivery before midnight tonight, they might be magically be able to provide you one. EOQ rush.

No matter, sounds like a Model 3 will also be a great choice for you.

No matter what you take home, you will be amazed at how much better Electric Drive works on snow. Best throttle response ever.

I wish they would let me do delivery before midnight tonight.

I am really exited about getting electric car, my only experience with EV was driving friends Kona. I loved that and I am sure Tesla would be better.

Reactions: gavine
Funny, i spent 10 years in Moncton.
I would say the main issue with the 3 is the ground clearance. That's where you can get stuck.
So i guess, it all depends. If you stay on main highways and in wide streets well cleared, no issue with the 3.
Don't try magnetic hill though ;-)

10 years in Moncton, surprised you didn’t make Moncton your permanent home. We are so nice here.

I will mostly be driving on highways so hopefully Model 3 will be ok.
Worst case when the roads are really bad I will just have to take my wife’s CX5

10 years in Moncton, surprised you didn’t make Moncton your permanent home. We are so nice here.

I will mostly be driving on highways so hopefully Model 3 will be ok.
Worst case when the roads are really bad I will just have to take my wife’s CX5

I wish I could have, I used to live in Dieppe and commuting to Halifax 8 times a month for the job, but the company closed down and I moved to Montreal forva new job.
Anyway, you have now a bunch of Superchargers in New Brunswick which will make your life a lot easier ! Enjoy !

Reactions: ConfusedF
I’m a little late to the party but I know a couple here in Halifax that have a RWD 3, and it handles snow & ice better than their Tuscan. ;)
I’m biased towards the X because I can’t get the thing stuck thanks to the air suspension. I literally drove it into a snow bank, wedged it as best I could so it couldn’t move, then pushed the air suspension to very high and drove out like it was nothing. :D

Enjoy your new ride