TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need advice: High milage P85 from 2014

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Marvin, May 2, 2020.

1. Marvin

Marvin Member

Hi,
    I hope I can get some good advice here: I saw a 2014 P85 advertised with 270k km on it - so about 170k miles.

From the pictures it looks good and the price is attractive. It is sold by a car dealer. According to the advertisement it has recently undergone a big service costing $5k (!) and both the battery and the motor have been replaced: the battery at 140k miles and the motor at 130k miles.

I am looking into getting my first Tesla Model S and although I do not specifically look for a performance version (and from what I found online this is not faster than the 'normal'85D), that would be of course a nice extra. Unfortunately I cannot go and see it at the moment due the the COVID19 rules in place. From what I have been reading on the forum a high milage S is not necessarily a bad thing, and here since the battery has fairly new having done only 30k miles (and it still has two years warranty) I feel not so much can go wrong.

What do you think? What to look out for when I finally get a chance to see it? (not the usual used car stuff but I mean specifically for this model)?

2. glide

glide Active Member

Early P85’s had a lot of problems. I’m also not sure what a “$5K service would be”

I would stay clear of used, high-mileage, older builds. LOTS can go wrong. For context: a battery is $20K+, a drivetrain is $12K+, etc...repairs can wind up costing more than you pay for the vehicle.

I guess it would be helpful to know the price though too...

• Like x 1
  3. Marvin

Marvin Member

Price is €34k, or about $38k which here in Europe is cheap, not many S below 40k on the market.

Drivetrain and battery are pretty new which is what I like about it, and they should still be under warranty until 2022 (I believe in the past there was no mileage limit, just 8 year warranty)

My guess for the 5k service is some suspension and brake work, but will try to find out more.

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I agree with guide about numbers thrown out there. You say its got a replaced battery and motor. How do you know? Seen the invoice that came from Tesla? How do you know it has a remaining 2 year warranty. You don't need to tell me, you need someone to show you the proof - again - to you, not us.

5. Marvin

Marvin Member

No, not seen any proof, just quoting from the online add.

6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Beware of dealerships that are not well versed in Tesla features, options and warranties. They often "don't have a clue". Just be careful so somebody doesn't zonk you.

7. Marvin

Marvin Member

I get what you mean but in practice what is the alternative as to where to buy a used Tesla?

1. Buying from Tesla:
    From what I could read on this forum and also elsewhere, buying a used car from Tesla is a rather chaotic and lengthy experience. Advantage is of course the warranty directly from Tesla

2. Buying privately:
    No warranty, plenty of risks. Maybe better price (but haven’t seen much interesting in terms of price)

3. Buying from a non-Tesla dealer:
    True, they might not be very knowledgeable about the car, but they have to give me by law a warranty, so that gives at least some peace of mind. But there are of course also a lot of shoddy ones out there...

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

1. Buying difficulties or easy varies by region/country even representative. That's life.

2. Buying private, you get a history of the car, lower price will help offset any unexpected repairs. Like to retain Supercharging and free connectivity.

3. Buying from non-Tesla. Could have been bought at auction because Tesla didn't want it. You want one that Tesla didn't want to sell?

9. pts260

pts260 Member

Also, consider that the replacement battery may not be new, under the warranty terms, the replacement battery can be similar age /condition to previous battery. World recommend getting a bt obd and canbus cable. Install scanmytesla. Find out the real story on the battery.

• Like x 1
  10. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

I say skip it and get one with warranty. I've had so many repairs on my 2013. Had I not had the extended warranty - I estimate the total of all repairs would be near 15k at least...

11. Marvin

Marvin Member

Thanks for all the interesting feedback, I didn't know that Tesla would replace with a 2nd hand battery, that indeed changes things quite a bit.

@hpartsch: May I be curious: what kind of repairs did you have that added up to so much?

Overall I guess you guys are right and I probably keep searching. I still would prefer a dualdrive..

12. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Not 2nd hand Tesla refurbishes the battery before it goes back in. I had one in my 2013. Internal components that were more likely marginal in 2012-14 that lead to battery problems are replaced or corrected when they refurbish the battery. Overall you would rather have a refurbished battery in 2020 than a brand new 2014 battery in 2020.

Many manufacturer's don't put a brand new component in older cars. Re-manufactured or refurbished.

13. Marvin

Marvin Member

Ok, let me try again with a different Model S, this time offered by Tesla:

It's a 90D from 2016 (facelift) with only 26k miles on it. I guess for that reason Tesla offers full 4 year warranty (limited to 50k miles driven from delivery however, but that should be almost the same as 4 years anyway in my case)
    If I compare it with a brand new Long Range, I save about 38% which is not nothing. However I wonder what I miss out in terms of options. The one offered has the following options according to Tesla's website:
    - next generation black seats
    - Autopilot with "comfort functions" (so I guess that's just the cruise control with autosteer on the motorway?)
    - Sunroof
    - Hepa filter
    - Keyless Entry
    - electric trunk
    - Homelink
    - black roof liner

I guess all of these things are standard included in the 2020 model. I guess what I am missing out on is the air suspension, anything else?

• Like x 1
  14. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Sounds like a nice car. I certainly would be more inclined to select this one over the other, even sight unseen.

15. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

upload_2020-5-3_10-52-33.png

The good thing is -- I think most of the big-ticket items have been taken care of. Still have a year of warranty -- so that is good :).

16. Marvin

Marvin Member

Thanks for sharing, 13k was paid by yourself or that’s what it would have cost?

17. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

15k - low estimate I think. Paid by warranty and extended warranty.

18. Marvin

Marvin Member

Got it, would be interesting to know how much excluding drive train and battery (which are still covered in above mentioned car). But certainly quite a bit.

19. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Battery and motor. That's it. I wasn't really counting that in the 15k. A replacement battery is 20k. I think an engine is somewhere around 5k? or more.

20. Marvin

Marvin Member

Wow, the only other really expensive item I could see in the list was the MCU which I think is about 3k.