Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice: MDU Installation of 16 Smart EVSEs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
The City of Pasadena has a program running now where MDUs can get up to a $3,000 rebate per EV charger installed. This is up to a maximum of $50,000 per building. I started looking into the details and had the city utility come out to assess the possibility of adding another building meter to power the EVSE. We were thinking of installing maybe 4-6 total. The city doesn't want to install a new meter, and suggested that we simply power the new chargers off an existing meter. He indicated that this would probably be an interim solution, and that if we ever wanted to expand beyond that that we would need a new transformer and main panel.

This is where it got really interesting. He said that probably the best way to go about this, given the possible $50,000 rebate available, would be to bite the bullet now and replace the transformer (1 of 4 in the building) in order to support the possible 16 new chargers. This would also involve replacing one of two (the smaller one) electrical panels, which is only about 15 feet from the transformer.

The cost to upgrade the transformer was estimated to be $10,000 to $15,000, since we get a credit for our current transformer. That would then cover everything upstream of the new panel. We would have to replace the panel on our dime, and hire someone to then install the required conduit and chargers.

To qualify for the $3,000 rebate per charger, they need to have a Wi-Fi connection. The city has a resource pamphlet thats about 1-2 years old showing some very good info concerning both management software and payment software (see below). There is an option to install "dumb" chargers, but the rebate for those is only $1,500 and the smart aspect would hopefully future proof the system for the medium term. We have Wi-Fi access in the garage so that isn't a problem.

The advice/help I need is in figuring out how to find a company to install the hardware, and then get the maintenance and billing set up. When I started looking at the list of suppliers below, I found that it is difficult to get pricing information in some cases. The Schneider EVLink level 2 Smart wall panel pricing required I e-mail them with contact info and they would get back to me. The ChargePoint CT4000 is stated to cost $1,055. And then there is in most cases an ongoing cost for maintenance and billing.

Don't some of these companies offer a "turnkey" solution where they handle the complete install and then you just pay an ongoing fee for the maintenance and billing? For example, the Schneider shows they have a 1,2 and 3 year subscription plan.

The goal would be the following:
1. Find someone or some company to install the panel, conduit and chargers.
2. Contract with someone or some company for maintenance and billing, the less cost here the better
3. The power cost is automatically billed to our building meter, so the HOA pays
4. We (the HOA) can set charging prices through the billing system to help cover power, maintenance, etc.
5. The money charged to the users would then automatically be deposited to the HOA on a periodic basis

If anyone has been down this path already or has a good idea of the best way to proceed, any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you happen to be a contractor who does this and are looking for a big job, even better ;)

I have the company that installed my single unit Bosch charger in the same garage coming out and will discuss this with them to see what they think.

Once we have a handle on the costs associated with doing this, we can apply to reserve the rebate funds, which would be guaranteed once we complete the installation. We also want to know the costs going forward, and what % of those we could reasonable expect to recoup when people start charging. Once we have all this, then the HOA can move to start the ball rolling.

ev16_1_zpsfe7pojho.jpg

ev16_2_zps6rohtzio.jpg

ev16_3_zpsv1wuhq89.jpg

ev16_4_zpsryji9yaj.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and SageBrush
It looks like a building transformer upgrade will be required to support the 16 chargers. The good news is that we already have 4 transformers on the property, with only one of them (the one needing to be replaced) supplying the power to the panel that will be upgraded. The bad news is that we (the HOA) will need to pay for that new transformer. The even better news is that it will be able to support about 3,000 miles of charging between 5pm and 7am, so even if we doubled the 16 chargers to 32 it would be future proofed. I need to talk to the city power engineer for some more details concerning upfront costs and the city rebate.

Stay tuned... :)

RT

@RubberToe,
Why are you looking at the national companies when you have PowerFlex in your backyard ?
Perhaps you forgot about this thread.

I am curious though how your HOA plans to handle demand charges

We are working with PowerFlex. I took @miimura advice after I composed the first post.

The HOA is billed for power at $0.20 per kWh, on separate meters (2) from the 50 individual units that have their own meters. The city rebate requires that the power for the system installed come from a building meter, using smart chargers. Individual units pay about $0.26 per kWh.

When I talk to the city I will be sure and ask about the possibility of there being any kind of demand charges. I haven't seen anything like that on the bills, but you do raise a good question.

The PowerFlex system is able to charge vehicles over time, allocating power to those that need it first, but providing the total power needed to all vehicles. For example, if 16 cars all plugged in at the same time, depending on when each car needed how many miles and when, the system provides charging to each car over time to keep the instantaneous power demand reasonable. That would probably lessen any possibility of any kind of higher demand charge versus if all the cars had been allocated 32A from the start.

RT

I took a quick look through the Pasadena Municipal Code governing their municipal utility service. As long as you remain categorized as residential, you will not have any demand charge. However, if you get classified as Commercial for the common areas, then you would have a demand charge of $16.09/kW on the Medium Secondary Commercial service. That is assuming your demand is more than 30kW, which is only 5 EVSEs simultaneously running at 6kW. However, the per kWh charge is only $0.09776. For 50kW peak demand, you would pay $23.40 + 50 * $16.09 = $827.90/mo. At 1,000kWh / day plus the monthly charges, you would be at only $0.125/kWh. 75kW peak demand plus 30,000 kWh would be $24.30 + 75 * $16.09 + 30 * 1000kWh * $0.09776 = $4,163.85 -> $0.1388/kWh
Working the numbers the other way, you would have to hit 190kW peak demand for the Medium Commercial service to be more expensive than the Residential at 1,000kWh per day usage. This comparison may be moot because you may not be able to elect the Medium Commercial service for HOA common area accounts.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I took a quick look through the Pasadena Municipal Code governing their municipal utility service. As long as you remain categorized as residential, you will not have any demand charge. However, if you get classified as Commercial for the common areas, then you would have a demand charge of $16.09/kW on the Medium Secondary Commercial service. That is assuming your demand is more than 30kW, which is only 5 EVSEs simultaneously running at 6kW. However, the per kWh charge is only $0.09776. For 50kW peak demand, you would pay $23.40 + 50 * $16.09 = $827.90/mo. At 1,000kWh / day plus the monthly charges, you would be at only $0.125/kWh. 75kW peak demand plus 30,000 kWh would be $24.30 + 75 * $16.09 + 30 * 1000kWh * $0.09776 = $4,163.85 -> $0.1388/kWh
Working the numbers the other way, you would have to hit 190kW peak demand for the Medium Commercial service to be more expensive than the Residential at 1,000kWh per day usage. This comparison may be moot because you may not be able to elect the Medium Commercial service for HOA common area accounts.
Thanks for looking -- very interesting.

It seems unlikely that an average EV would take much more than 15 kWh a day, equal to 240 kWh a day for 16 EVs
The cost then works out to 30*240*0.09776 + 50*16.09 = $1,508.372 a month = $50 a day for 240 kWh = 21 cents a kWh
If only 8 EVs then 30*120*0.09776 + 50*16.09 = $1,156.436 a month = $38.5 a day for 120 kWh = 32 cents a kWh

And if the average EV of a group of 8 takes 7.5 kWh (my WAG) a day .... well, that would be petrol cost range.

Good point. No way 16 cars are going to use 1,000 kWh per day. However, you didn't scale down the demand charge for fewer cars. I would expect the Powerflex system to keep the demand at less than 2.5kW / car on average. For 8 cars you could probably stay on the Small Commercial rate schedule that is limited to 30kW demand.

IF the EV owners behave and get along nicely with each other, spend 12 hours a day attached to an EVSE and travel 30 miles a day at 250 Wh/mile then the average load per car is 0.625 kW

IF

I think @MITE46 will have to look into adding demand charge options for the user.

40 miles over 12 hours ? Cheap!
80 miles over 1 hour ? Expensive !

IF the EV owners behave and get along nicely with each other, spend 12 hours a day attached to an EVSE and travel 30 miles a day at 250 Wh/mile then the average load per car is 0.625 kW

IF
Not reasonable. 8 EVSE at 6.6kW each (208V 32A) will not total to a maximum demand of 5kW, no matter how good the load management is. Limiting to 1/4 of the aggregate maximum is reasonable - ie 13kW for 8 of those EVSE.

Wow, though I'm somewhat foggy on the implications of this.

For what its worth, our individual unit accounts are at the rate AR2G, the building meters are billed at the AS4D rate. One of the building meters averages about 63 kWh per day (1909 total) at a total cost of $377 ($0.197 per kWh). The other one is 132 kWh per day (3960 total) for a bill of $784 (also $0.197 per kWh). I don't believe there is a tier structure associated with the AS4D rate, I could be wrong.

@miimura , can you send me a link to the Pasadena detailed rates? Maybe we have nothing to worry about?

Thanks for digging this up in Christmas! :)

RT

I think I see the demand issue, it looks like we are limited to 30kW peak usage in this rate group:
A. Applicability. Applies to single-phase and 3-phase general service, including lighting and incidental small power, through a single meter. Applies to service below 30 kW demand.

I take this to mean that at no time can we exceed 30kW in metered power. So a car charging at 6.6kW means that we would only be able to fully charge 4 cars at any one time. I'll confirm this with the city engineer when I talk to her. And I'm assuming that PowerFlex can provide the capability to do that per a recent conversation with them.

RT

So we are making progress and working with both the city electrical engineer and the other department handling the EVSE rebate program. Not unexpectedly, we are one of the first MDUs to go down this path, so there is a lot of back and forth interchange of information taking place. The current issue at hand is that the city requires $5,000 up front to design the new transformer and the feed to the new electrical panel that we will be installing as part of the system. PowerFlex will be designing the panel itself and all downstream components.

From an HOA Board perspective, the issue is that until we pony up the $5,000 for the design, we won't know what the city's part of the construction total will be. So the HOA really can't authorize $5,000 for a design (essentially at risk), only to find out that the city wants $100,000 (an exaggeration obviously) to put in the new transformer. I asked the city if they could provide a "not more than" cost for their part of the work, and they replied that they couldn't do that, and that they need the $5,000 up front. The design itself doesn't cost $5,000, it will be less than that, and any residual money left would be applied to either the system cost or refunded to us if we decided to not follow through on the project.

So the question for the assembled electrical power engineering talent (thats y'all ;)) is as follows: The panel itself is going to be a 400A single phase class 320 panel. The city is going to provide a new transformer to feed that panel. The transformer room is immediately adjacent to the location of the new panel. When I say "immediately adjacent", I mean the transformer room is on one side of a concrete wall, and the panel is mounted directly on the other side of the wall. The run from the transformer to the panel would be less than 20 feet.

Anybody care to speculate what this transformer and wiring to the panel would cost, for the city's portion of the work? A rough estimate I have seen is $20,000.

RT

The City Utility should at least be able to tell you where the demarcation point is for what you have to pay for. I have experience with PG&E because I built a house (single family residence) and talked directly with the utility service engineer. I was responsible for the cable from the meter to the connection point on the nearest pole, including trenching and conduit according to utility specs. I was NOT responsible for the transformer upgrade or any of the cable from the transformer to the nearest pole. After I got Certificate of Occupancy, PG&E sent notices to me and the two neighbors sharing the transformer for a planned outage when they replaced a really old looking 25kVA transformer for a brand new 50kVA pole mounted transformer. Since your complex is a medium size multi-family situation, the rules for utility interconnection may be different than single family residential. In fact, since you were / will be on a small commercial rate plan, the provisioning and interconnection rules will probably follow the typical commercial rules.