Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long-time lurker here looking to purchase my first Tesla. I currently drive a 2010 Lexus LS600hL (big V8 Hybrid Luxury car), but am fascinated by the technology of the Teslas. My wife has owned electric cars for years (Nissan Leafs and Chevy Bolt), and is probably going to get a new Model 3 in the next couple of months.

I've been a long-time Lexus fan, but am seriously thinking about making the jump to a Model S. I know I'll be giving up quite a few luxury items that I've grown accustomed to, but will be gaining a whole new modern car. Anyone else out there that made the switch from a Lexus LS to a Tesla Model S?

Anyway, I discovered what I believe to be a good deal on a 2016 Model S 90D on Vroom.com (of all places). It's a dark blue exterior, black interior model with 39k miles and a clean CarFax (for what that's worth).

Here's a link to the car I'm talking about (I did put a deposit down to hold it while I'm considering it):
Used 2016 Tesla Model S For Sale ($49,890) | Vroom

I was hoping to get some advice from all of you Tesla experts on this particular car. Can you tell what options it has from simply looking at it? Is it the post-facelift version (a 2016.5)? It was produced on June 30, 2016, and is still under original factory warranty for 4 more months (which is a great thing, I think). Does it have the next generation seats I've heard about? It's advertised as having AutoPilot... Would this be the same as "Enhanced Autopilot" that I've heard about. Certainly not full Self-Driving capabilities, I'm sure... Can you tell if it has the upgraded audio system from the photos? Is there any where I can enter the VIN to see all the original factory options installed?

I'm a bit nervous buying a car without being able to test drive it, but Vroom does offer a 7-day return policy at no charge, so that mitigates some of my fears...

What should I be wary of with this car? What questions should I ask of Vroom before I commit to purchasing?

Any assistance from the forum will be greatly appreciated! Rick

Nice looking car and the price is good. As a 2016, the car will have the next gen seats. Expect the 100% range to be somewhere around 280 miles.

I know I'll be giving up quite a few luxury items that I've grown accustomed to

Like what? Trust me - you won't look back once you feel how well the Model S drives (and accelerates).

Does it have the next generation seats I've heard about? It's advertised as having AutoPilot... Would this be the same as "Enhanced Autopilot" that I've heard about.

The car has what is known as Autopilot with convenience features (typically referred to as AP1). Essentially it has traffic aware adaptive cruise control with an additional layer of automatic steering and lane changing. You also get basic summon (you can move the car forwards and backwards with your phone). AP1 is pretty solid and works very well especially on highway driving. It does not have what is now known as the FSD package (nav on autopilot, automatic lane changes, smart summon). Note that AP1 is still more advanced than most other cars on the road.

From what others have said, you can't find out options until the car is in your name and Tesla transfers the account over. As far as warranty goes, you will have the balance of the factory 4/50 (you can also purchase a third-party extended if interested). You also have the balance of the 8-year/unlimited mile battery/drive motor warranty which will be good through June of 2024.

Things to ask about will be service history, e.g. were any of the door handles replaced?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions if you decide to purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Danny, Thanks for the speedy reply! I test drove a used Model S months ago (I'm not sure what year/version), and I was so impressed by the ability of the car's autopilot system. The one I drove had adaptive cruise and would steer on the highway/interstate extremely well, even around curves in the road. My Lexus has Lane-Keep-Assist, but it really sucks. It ping-pongs me back and forth between the lines with constant beeping and annoying chimes. The Tesla seemed much more capable of staying centered in the lane. Does it eventually chime if you don't touch the steering wheel for a while? How long (roughly)? The car I drove also would change lanes safely using the turn signals. Does AP1 have this capability?

How can I find out if the door handles have been replaced? I'm sure Vroom has no early idea...

The seats in the Tesla I'm looking at seem to not be the deeper Next-Gen seats, but the dealer swears they are all leather... Did you look at the photos here:
Used 2016 Tesla Model S For Sale ($49,890) | Vroom

Thanks again for the great info! I'm excited to have the chance to jump into a Tesla Model S!

Nice looking car and the price is good. As a 2016, the car will have the next gen seats. Expect the 100% range to be somewhere around 280 miles.

judging from the photos of the car he linked, it does not have next gen seats

from a quick search, this car has premium interior upgrade, upgraded audio, subzero, and no air suspension or dual chargers. as always, should confirm with seller.

Last edited:
From what others have said, you can't find out options until the car is in your name and Tesla transfers the account over.

Nope. The pictures are clear enough that I can tell you (almost) all the options on this car. First I'll start by answering your questions:

the car is an AP1/MCU1 car which is called Autopilot with Convenience, its not enhanced autopilot.

The car DOES have Premium Sound (at this time its still called Ultra-hifi) you can tell because if you brighten the image of the trunk, the right side is blocked off. this is where the subwoofer sits for the premium sound, if you didn't have this option this would be an empty space

You do NOT have air suspensions because in the settings picture there is not tab for "Suspension" so these are just standard coils.

The seats are NOT next gen, these are TEXTILE 1st gen seats btw, not leather. Just compare a newer seat with this one and you can see its styled differently. I'm actually surprised whoever built this car didn't get atleast the leather seats, seems like a conscientious choice to get textile (easier to clean?) instead of a cost saving measurement.

You have a Sunroof which was an option vs the base body colored roof or the glass roof. (I prefer the glass roof personally because it wont leak or make noise and just looks cool as a single panel of glass) Nice if you want to get a roof rack, which I wished the glass one could do

These have 19" cyclone wheels which were also an option. Base wheels are the slipstream wheels

Only thing I cant tell thats left is the cold weather package, id need to look at the AC screen.

I do these to hope the rumor that you cant tell what options a tesla has dies down. With enough pictures you can easily tell everything.

Last edited:
Heinzcatsoup: WOW! That's some outstanding sleuthing, and exactly what I was hoping for! I'm able to pretty much do the same thing for the Lexus LS models, as I've owned one and been a huge fan for years, so I'm glad you were able to figure out the options!

What's the opinion on the TEXTILE 1st Get Seats? I feel sort of weird buying such an expensive car without leather, but do some people actually prefer the Textile option? Are these seats generally considered comfortable?

Kev1n thought the car had the sub-zero package. I assume this includes heated seats? I live in Nebraska and would definitely want the cold-weather package. Any easy way to tell?

What's the consensus on the non-Air Ride suspension? I know for Lexus, the air ride suspension really helps smooth out the bumps, but inevitably fails eventually and is extremely costly to replace. Do some Tesla fans purposefully avoid the Air Ride shocks to minimize repair costs? Do the coils provide a nice smooth ride? Keep in mind I'm coming from a Lexus LS, the ultimate soft leather couch on wheels...

Thanks again for all the tips/advice! Rick

Be careful with 2016 cars. They have a mix of AP1 and AP2. The price isn't that great (but not bad either).

For comparison: I bought a 2016 75D with similar mileage for 51K. Mine has AP2 + FSD package includes. It also has a premium interior (leather) with the newer seats and I have the sub-zero package. Mine also has a 4-year used car warranty from tesla.

[EDIT]: That said a 90D is quite a bit pricier so I'm not 100% sure which deal is worse. For me I really wanted FSD and the fixed glass roof.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Looking a bit closer. I think this could be a good deal if you can stretch your budget (and want a 90D): 2016 Model S | Tesla

It's pretty much fully loaded with FSD. It's in upstate NY. I bought mine (delivery yesterday) from the same location and for me the delivery to Dedham SC was free because upstate NY is a warehouse for Tesla where they can't make deliveries. If you are lucky it could be the same for you. I make no guarantees that this will happen to you.

Another tip: Tesla lowers their car price $500 each day a used car isn't sold. So you could wait if you're willing to gamble.

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Looking a bit closer. I think this could be a good deal if you can stretch your budget (and want a 90D): 2016 Model S | Tesla

It's pretty much fully loaded with FSD. It's in upstate NY. I bought mine (delivery yesterday) from the same location and for me the delivery to Dedham SC was free because upstate NY is a warehouse for Tesla where they can't make deliveries. If you are lucky it could be the same for you. I make no guarantees that this will happen to you.

Another tip: Tesla lowers their car price $500 each day a used car isn't sold. So you could wait if you're willing to gamble.

Great tips! I'm learning a lot in a short period of time!

I do think the Vroom Tesla represents a pretty good overall value at $50k. I like that it has warranty remaining (in case there are any immediate gremlins to sort through). I'm not keen on the cloth seats, to be honest, though it does seem that there are fans of these first gen textile seats. I'm torn about the lack of air ride suspension... I like a very smooth composed ride (coming from Lexus LS), and I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with coils. I think the newer nose cone is a plus. I like the dark blue color pretty well...

I actually wouldn't necessarily need a 90D, as I would never take this car on a long trip, and my day-to-day in-town driving would never exceed 200 miles. I have a 220v outlet in my garage and would plan to plug in every night. I'm guessing a P70D or P75D would be a lot less money? I'm not a speed freak, and I'm sure any Model S would be plenty fast enough for me.

Any other advice on the best Model S for my situation?

Thanks! This is a terrific forum! Rick

Great tips! I'm learning a lot in a short period of time!

I'm guessing a P70D or P75D would be a lot less money?

You have the numbers mixed up a bit. The "P" models designate performance variants. There's an 85, 90 & 100. You lose a bit of range, but the sporty feel and accelerating is amazing. Also, the "P" models are obviously going to cost you MORE.

You have the numbers mixed up a bit. The "P" models designate performance variants. There's an 85, 90 & 100. You lose a bit of range, but the sporty feel and accelerating is amazing. Also, the "P" models are obviously going to cost you MORE.

Ah, right you are! I'm not looking for the P (performance) models, just a dual motor (AWD) version. Battery size/range doesn't matter all that much to me, as this wouldn't be a trip car. Thanks for the correction! Rick

The range is an interesting subject. You need to understand your habits. I think most people are like me. They drive the car to and from work and make the occasional weekend trip. If you fall into this category and an EV is your main/only car then I think it needs at least 225+ miles of range. This allows you to always have enough range for your daily commute and unplanned errands, even in winter. It also allows you to jump between super-chargers on longer trips. The 75D is for these habits enough.

With a smaller battery, you will lose time on longer trips for two reasons. Mainly your battery will charge slower as you need to fill it up more. Sometimes you will also need to make an extra stop (but that is less common I think). I only take longer road trips a couple of times a year and with kids, we tend to stop every 2+ hours anyway.

Other people drive for work or like/need to take really long (600+ miles/day) road trips. These people benefit from the longer-range model. It could also be that your weekend cabin is off the beaten path so you need the range (but this is far less common then people realize).

So I think the 75D is a good compromise between range and price. Paying a lot of extra for the range I barley use isn't worth it to me and I don't care about performance.