Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on 2017 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the scenario . . .

I own a 2017 model x. I have not upgraded the MCU (yet). It is paid off. My wife primarily drives it and puts maybe 3k miles/yr. We do use it to drive to our beach house frequently and a few road trips every year up to PA to visit in laws, etc.

My daily driver is a 2022 MYP. My plan is to get the CT (who knows when that will happen) and turn in the MYP lease.

My question . . .

Do I sell the 2017 MX and get my wife a new MY LR or do I keep the 2017 MX and just upgrade the MCU. For the record, I am grandfathered in for unlimited free supercharging, although the cost of supercharging is not prohibitive to me. I am somewhat concerned about battery after 8 years and somewhat concerned about wear and tear cost of MX doors. A new MY would solve my "lack of warranty" fears.

My wife couldn't care less and has no interest talking it out with me. Looking for some advice. Am I crazy to give up the MX for the stated reasons? I still like it and not having a car payment is a plus, but the $750/month for a new MYLR isn't really an issue either. A new MX seems crazy, since she drives so little. I can't rationalize the $1600/month for a car that sits in the driveway most of the time and/or goes to target on the weekends.

It looks like I can sell the MX (back to Telsa) for about $45k+ now (probably more if I want to go private). What will the value be after the 8 year battery warranty is up? Should I essentially swap out the MX for a new MY now or just hold on to the MX and upgrade the MCU to make it more functional?

Appreciate all input.

Reactions: Shaz
Just to share my experience, I also have a MX 2017 (75D - August 2017 build - 50K miles) with free supercharging. We had done the MCU upgrade and found that it made it feel like a new car to us. When our original warranty was about to end, we opted for the extended warranty as I too was worried about the MX doors breaking. If it never breaks then we look at it as piece of mind. Our is also paid off and it is nice to not having car payments. I also dabbled into trading it in and getting a Model Y as I also was worried about reliability but so far we haven't had any major problems and the extended warranty does give us piece of mind. We also don't drive it hard as it's always on chill mode and we don't do the 0-60 launches anymore as we've gotten it out of our system (though still helpful when trying to avoid other people in traffic). Our family now has sentimental values attached to the car due to the number of road trips we have taken (thanks to free supercharging). The MCU upgrade really did help in the enjoyment of the car. We essentially plan on running this car to the ground until it can't run anymore.

Good luck with your decision!

We have a 2017 X (my wife's) and a 2022 Y (mine).

My wife would be furious if I tried to get her out of her X and in to a Y. She finds the X so much more comfortable. And even I must admit that while the Y is great around town, the X is better for longer drives (especially with the free supercharging). We have the extended warranty, but problems over the past couple of years have been few and minor.

If it were my car though, I'd rather (and do!) have the more nimble and newer-tech Y. Although part of the reason I prefer the Y is that I don't have to use it for road trips or towing, because we have her X. That wouldn't be true for you if you change her car.

Obviously different things are important to different people. I assume your wife has driven your Y? And you say she "couldn't care less"...that means she is OK with whatever you decide? That's easy then - do what YOU want, if (?!) she really doesn't care! But it sounds like you are having a hard time deciding, regardless of her input. Maybe this will help (not to decide, but to put you more at ease): with as few miles as you put on the X, it probably won't make a big difference either way. You should be happy no matter what you do. Good luck.

BTW, like Shaz we upgraded the MCU on our X and boy, is that a big difference.

Given all you said ... 100% do the MCU1->MCU2 upgrade. It makes a huge difference in the feel as everyone said. We did it on our 2017.

Based on your comments about cost of several things, you really seem to be being irrational about the warranty items. Statistically, you would still be way ahead and since the said cost of other thing don't phase you then some problems are easy covered with your said financial means.

It really seems like a clear choice.

Reactions: MGMDaware
Like @scottf200 said, yes I am completely irrational about warranty related issues. I am self aware of that. And you're right, doing the math, I would still be ahead in cost/value/time.

And like @Shaz said, the kids definitely have some sentimental attachment to the car and it's well "lived in".

I appreciate the responses. That was very helpful. Gonna upgrade the MCU and hold on.

I agree with everything stated. we upgraded the MCU on our X and it made a huge difference.

In regards to warranty: you are still covered till 2025. So, I would say enjoy the car for the next couple of years and defer the decision to sell. At that time you will have even better cars to choose from.

MCU2 upgrade is roughly the cost of a new set of axles. I have not and probably won’t upgrade to MCU2. I just don’t care enough about the infotainment center. Yes it’s frustratingly slow and kisses me off weekly. I don’t think the doors are a weak point. Batteries we have lots of data on Tesla batteries. I’ll cross that bridge down the road.

What will the new MY total cost of ownership be until you own it outright?assume no maintenance cost.

MX rides better. Is much cooler. Yours depreciation curve is probably not as steep now. Much different than what the MY would be.

I vote drive the X for another year then reassess.

I would keep the X and upgrade the MCU. The old MCU will eventually fail anyway. The Infotainment center is a bit overrated, but it does have some niceness to it. One of my kids and wife really love doing to Caraoke for example when they take the car. But main thing is just the overall performance of the UI.

If you haven't abused your battery then I think it will last a long time. And to be honest, even if you had to replace the battery, its still cheaper than a new car.

If you have paid for Enhanced Autopilot or FSD that would lean me even more toward keeping the X. You also have the free premium connectivity.