Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on 3rd party warranty coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have an interesting choice to make, and would appreciate some advice. I have a new-to-me 2018 Model X which has it's baseline warranty coverage ending in June. I want to get an extended warranty. I can't get one through Tesla, so I'm looking at 2 3rd party alternatives.

The first option is inexpensive and long coverage, ($2800 for 8 years and 120K miles), but does NOT cover the air suspension, as they consider it a wear part.

The second option is more expensive ($5200 for 6 years and 100K miles) but includes the air suspension.

Which would you choose?

knowing the cost of the air suspension, it would depend on the current mileage and how many miles I expect to put on it a year and how long I would keep it. If I didn't think I'd exceed the 100k over the next 6 years, I'd go with the 6 year plan. The other thing to take into account is the service fees for each visit. I have the Tesla extended warranty, and I pay $200 per visit.

Reactions: mservoss
Have an interesting choice to make, and would appreciate some advice. I have a new-to-me 2018 Model X which has it's baseline warranty coverage ending in June. I want to get an extended warranty. I can't get one through Tesla, so I'm looking at 2 3rd party alternatives.

The first option is inexpensive and long coverage, ($2800 for 8 years and 120K miles), but does NOT cover the air suspension, as they consider it a wear part.

The second option is more expensive ($5200 for 6 years and 100K miles) but includes the air suspension.

Which would you choose?
If you don’t mind could you share the links to the plans. I’m shopping to. Though mine is a 2016.

Be very careful with third-party warranty companies. While I am sure there are others out there, I would strongly advise going with X-Care as they specifically deal with EVs and more importantly Teslas in general - plus we also have plenty of positive reports of people who use them.

I picked up an X-Care warranty before my original 4/50k warranty expired and while I haven't had to use it yet, I am glad I have it for the peace of mind. I've also been burned by other third-party warranties in the past so I did my due diligence when I went with X-Care.

Reactions: mservoss and EbS-P
I’m going give my thoughts on extended warranties in general. They only are offered because they make money selling them. It’s just like insurance most people will never receive a payout more than the premiums they paid. The numbers say you are better off without it.

I got talked into one in a moment of weakness by the dealership salesperson when buying our used Odyssey. I kicked my self for weeks. I added 3500$ to a 72 month auto loan. I didn’t have much cash savings at the time so financing the warranty gave me some measure of enhanced financial security. I was determined to drive that van into the ground and make sure I got my money’s worth. Well I paid the loan off last week and I can say have probably come close. Two sets of struts, axles, power steering pump (it’s not a lemon but it’s definitely a fruit) ect. that’s not the complete list. Most of the time the warranty will not cover 100% of the dealership cost but somehow the dealership has some wiggle room. And it’s usually 100$ copay plus never more than 20% of the full cost. I have made my money back. But it took 65k miles.

I’m leaning towards XCare. I believe I saw 30 day AND 1000 miles after purchasing before you can submit claim. It includes towing. That could be be worth quite a bit depending where you live. My nearest SC is 140 miles away.

I need to read more fine print before I commit.

Reactions: XCare EV
Sure - ANYTHING any private company offers is sold because (in the aggregate) it makes the company money. That doesn't mean its not useful to the buyer.

In my case, I truly believe the Model X, as much as I love it, is prone to repair needs. I also want to drive this thing for many years and not worry about it. So I'm not looking to match my repair $ with the money I just spent - the peace of mind knowing I won't have much to spend (other than the deductible) is the reward.

I’m going give my thoughts on extended warranties in general. They only are offered because they make money selling them. It’s just like insurance most people will never receive a payout more than the premiums they paid. The numbers say you are better off without it.

I got talked into one in a moment of weakness by the dealership salesperson when buying our used Odyssey. I kicked my self for weeks. I added 3500$ to a 72 month auto loan. I didn’t have much cash savings at the time so financing the warranty gave me some measure of enhanced financial security. I was determined to drive that van into the ground and make sure I got my money’s worth. Well I paid the loan off last week and I can say have probably come close. Two sets of struts, axles, power steering pump (it’s not a lemon but it’s definitely a fruit) ect. that’s not the complete list. Most of the time the warranty will not cover 100% of the dealership cost but somehow the dealership has some wiggle room. And it’s usually 100$ copay plus never more than 20% of the full cost. I have made my money back. But it took 65k miles.

I’m leaning towards XCare. I believe I saw 30 day AND 1000 miles after purchasing before you can submit claim. It includes towing. That could be be worth quite a bit depending where you live. My nearest SC is 140 miles away.

I need to read more fine print before I commit.
Our sample contract online is not updated, we actually removed the 1000 miles provision and now only have a 30 day wait. Cheers! Brent @ XCare

Reactions: EbS-P
Sure - ANYTHING any private company offers is sold because (in the aggregate) it makes the company money. That doesn't mean its not useful to the buyer.

In my case, I truly believe the Model X, as much as I love it, is prone to repair needs. I also want to drive this thing for many years and not worry about it. So I'm not looking to match my repair $ with the money I just spent - the peace of mind knowing I won't have much to spend (other than the deductible) is the reward.
I agree with the many years but xcare is time and mileage limited. Couple that with the fact most or all 3rd party warranties won’t cover the battery. I’m still on the fence. If this was my primary and only vehicle I’d probably would have already bought purchased the warranty. I’m probably going to put less than 8k miles a year and that will be mostly city driving. I probably would run out of time coverage before miles.

If there was a limited lifetime warranty like my van I would hav purchased it already even if it was 8k$.
Our sample contract online is not updated, we actually removed the 1000 miles provision and now only have a 30 day wait. Cheers! Brent @ XCare
good to know!! That may be the push I needed.

knowing the cost of the air suspension, it would depend on the current mileage and how many miles I expect to put on it a year and how long I would keep it. If I didn't think I'd exceed the 100k over the next 6 years, I'd go with the 6 year plan. The other thing to take into account is the service fees for each visit. I have the Tesla extended warranty, and I pay $200 per visit.
So, Tesla has an extended warranty coverage plan?

Greetings TMC! XCare has recently celebrated a milestone with over $1 Million in paid claims, with over 90% paid directly to Tesla!

Why do we celebrate paying that many claims? Because behind every claim is an XCare member who avoided the stress, the financial hardship and the uncertainty involved when something goes wrong with their Tesla!

Since 2019, XCare has been providing world class coverage for our EV community, and we want to thank all of our members on Tesla Motors Club Forum who have trusted us to help them sleep well at night, knowing their car is under our protection. With over $1M in paid claims, we are repaying that trust...every day.

XCare. First, and still the best. www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare for a free online quote.

Last edited:
Reactions: balefire