Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on an akward registration suspension situation (NJ/NY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, sorry about staying dormant for a long time on the forum and resurface only to post a question for help. I've been having a real headache about a registration issue. Really appreciate if any of you guys who are in NJ/NY can offer some advice.

Here's the story. I bought my 2018 Model S 2 years ago and registered in New Jersey under my rented apartment. At the time, I also had an New York state house but that was not my primary residence. Earlier this year, I moved back to NY home due to the covid-19 and needed to transfer my registration from NJ to NY. I waited until recently to start the transfer process, but was notified by DMV I needed to fill in form DTF-803 - "Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption". However, the form requires that I was not a resident of NY at the time of purchase ("did not have a place of abode in NYS") , so I'm stuck here not sure how to proceed.
In the meanwhile, to make things more exciting, I received a 'Schedule Registration Suspension' letter from NJ DMV stating that my registration would be suspended indefinitely starting Nov 16th because I no longer have NJ insurance. I must either 1). Show proof of NJ insurance 2) Show proof that my registration is now transferred to a new state. I can't do either because my insurance is already under NY and my registration transfer hasn't really started.

Obviously, I sent inquiries to both DMVs but their response time has proven to be predictably long.
So in summary, I am facing 2 issues that could use some advice on:

1) How to fill the tax exemption form when transferring registration from NJ to NY without seemingly being qualified for DTF-803
2) How to maintain or extend my NJ registration without an NJ insurance.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Not of any help in NY, but I feel your pain. I got a Georgia nasty gram that I had no insurance and I basically had insurance in Florida. The car was from Atlanta Tesla and it had a Georgia temp tag. I had been pulling my hair out as it was almost 40 days since I purchased the new MSP. I finally got a Georgia title which I took down to DMV here in Florida and they wanted to collect sales tax again. It was a total RCF. For the life of me I can't see how Tesla treats us customers so badly and gets away with it. Now to come find out that 50000 Model S & X's are being recalled for suspension issues. These are only in China now but looking at the forum with all the suspension issues on model S have us very concerned.

M

Not of any help in NY, but I feel your pain. I got a Georgia nasty gram that I had no insurance and I basically had insurance in Florida. The car was from Atlanta Tesla and it had a Georgia temp tag. I had been pulling my hair out as it was almost 40 days since I purchased the new MSP. I finally got a Georgia title which I took down to DMV here in Florida and they wanted to collect sales tax again. It was a total RCF. For the life of me I can't see how Tesla treats us customers so badly and gets away with it. Now to come find out that 50000 Model S & X's are being recalled for suspension issues. These are only in China now but looking at the forum with all the suspension issues on model S have us very concerned.

M
yeah it's never easy with the DMV. Did you manage to get around paying the tax again?

Can't say I can help too much but when my 2015 85D was destroyed in an accident (less than two months after taking ownership) and I cancelled insurance because I gave up possession of the car to the insurance company, I started receiving letters from the loan company informing me that the vehicle had no insurance and they would be purchasing emergency insurance (at a crazy expensive rate) on my behalf. All this despite me telling them numerous times by phone/letter with proof that the car was totaled by the insurance and I no longer had ownership of the vehicle.

Eventually I threatened legal action for harassment and they backed off. Like I said - not helpful but bureaucracy at its finest there.

Back on topic, if the car was never registered in NY, you should be able to show proof that NY was not your primary state of residency and that you are just moving there. If not, maybe (read: DON'T DO THIS) you can sell the car to yourself or your kid/spouse for $1 (I really don't think you can do this anymore :) )

1) How to fill the tax exemption form when transferring registration from NJ to NY without seemingly being qualified for DTF-803
2) How to maintain or extend my NJ registration without an NJ insurance.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Not a NY resident so just looking at the docs with a outside pair of eyes.

By my reading, NY Pub 750 defines you as resident if you were maintaining the NY property on "other than a temporary basis". So were you maintaining the property? Pub 750 does not define "maintaining", so you may need to look at other state documents to see how to answer that question.