Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had three failures so far on my 2014 Model S. All were the same failure of the short-through gear.
What brought me to this site today is a problem in which the only way my rear driver's side handle will present is to put the car into park. Seems like a software issue. Anyone have something similar...and a solution?
Sounds like your pressure sensor inside the door handle itself is defect. Not sure if Tesla sells them seperate but you can buy a second hand door handle from Ebay as donor parts or upgrade to a gen3 handle.

Good luck

Sounds like your pressure sensor inside the door handle itself is defect. Not sure if Tesla sells them seperate but you can buy a second hand door handle from Ebay as donor parts or upgrade to a gen3 handle.

Good luck
Thanks. Embarrassed to say that another member of the family had driven the car and decided to play with the settings. Problem is under control! Sorry to jump on this thread so quickly.

Reactions: Takumi
Driver's door handle broke a couple days ago. Will not auto-present. Have a piece of tape wrapped thru the handle to manually pull it out. Looks ridiculous but it works. Have a service visit in a couple days and hopefully the Gen 3 handle upgrade fixes it for around $300 or so. Will report back on the final cost so people can see the going rate as of March 2022.
If you get this issue and the door handle motor's making a continuous noise try this... 1. Unlock car 2. Pull the handle out like 95% until the motor stops buzzing and hold it there 3. Lock the car with the key fob (the LED light should turn off) 5. Release the handle and it should drop back into the slot with the handle's motor not trying to engage. I also turned off all the auto-lock and auto present features via the MCU otherwise you have to redo these steps if your key fob triggers the car to unlock/lock

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Driver's door handle broke a couple days ago. Will not auto-present. Have a piece of tape wrapped thru the handle to manually pull it out. Looks ridiculous but it works. Have a service visit in a couple days and hopefully the Gen 3 handle upgrade fixes it for around $300 or so. Will report back on the final cost so people can see the going rate as of March 2022.
If you get this issue and the door handle motor's making a continuous noise try this... 1. Unlock car 2. Pull the handle out like 95% until the motor stops buzzing and hold it there 3. Lock the car with the key fob (the LED light should turn off) 5. Release the handle and it should drop back into the slot with the handle's motor not trying to engage. I also turned off all the auto-lock and auto present features via the MCU otherwise you have to redo these steps if your key fob triggers the car to unlock/lock
Well after the Tesla SC rescheduled my handle repair to the end of April due to lack of parts I ordered a paddle gear from eBay for $15. It’s made of reinforced steel and has a 10 year warranty so it should not fail again. Took about two hours to replace. It was my first time doing this repair and the driver’s side handle is the most pain in the butt one to repair since it has way more wires and switches connected. But mission accomplished and all’s working well. Saved $285 over doing the V3 handle upgrade thru Tesla. I still think that’s a fair rate for the upgrade and I would’ve done it if not for the lack of parts and being sick of using a piece of string to get into my car. Plenty of YouTube videos out there if any of you want to attempt this repair yourself. I’d rate it a 6/10 on the difficulty scale.

Well after the Tesla SC rescheduled my handle repair to the end of April due to lack of parts I ordered a paddle gear from eBay for $15. It’s made of reinforced steel and has a 10 year warranty so it should not fail again. Took about two hours to replace. It was my first time doing this repair and the driver’s side handle is the most pain in the butt one to repair since it has way more wires and switches connected. But mission accomplished and all’s working well. Saved $285 over doing the V3 handle upgrade thru Tesla. I still think that’s a fair rate for the upgrade and I would’ve done it if not for the lack of parts and being sick of using a piece of string to get into my car. Plenty of YouTube videos out there if any of you want to attempt this repair yourself. I’d rate it a 6/10 on the difficulty scale.
Until one of your microswitches fail or the wiring harness fails... these are all pretty common failure points on the Gen 1 and Gen 2 handles and are right up there with the paddle gear in terms of commonality. You fixed one of about a dozen (if you count each of the wires that commonly pinch/ground out as well as the microswitches) common potential failure points in that solution.

Until one of your microswitches fail or the wiring harness fails... these are all pretty common failure points on the Gen 1 and Gen 2 handles and are right up there with the paddle gear in terms of commonality. You fixed one of about a dozen (if you count each of the wires that commonly pinch/ground out as well as the microswitches) common potential failure points in that solution.
Yea the interior of the handle is a birds nest of wires. If Tesla had the V3 handles stocked I would be more than happy to pay them. But every time I near my service date they reschedule it for a month later due to lack of parts. My Feb appointment for the eMMC recall has been delayed twice and my handle appointment was delayed just last week. Service used to be much better.