Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on feasibility of the trip from SC in NJ to Austin TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally made a deposit on CPO Model S 60Kw 2013 that is currently locate at New Jersey service center.
Tesla is quoting "up to $1500" to transport the car to Austin TX service center.
To save money I'm considering driving from the Service Center in NJ to Austin TX.

I need an advice if you think this trip is feasible considering via superchargers, how painful it is going to be and if it is possible to be accomplished in 3 days.

I've looked at the route via EV Trip Planner through New Orleans and the trip looks theoretically possible, however considering cold temperatures, there are some close calls in terms of range along the way.

One of the concerns that it looks like I will have to charge to 90% at superchargers and I'm not sure how long it usually takes. Is it 1 hour or 1.5 hours?

Any tips and opinions would be appreciated because it would allow to decide which delivery option to take.

I have 2 friends with 60s and they have done some road trips. So it's totally doable, and easier now with the Kingsland, GA SC in place. Yeah, that leg from Mobile to Baton Rouge is pretty long, so you might need to stop for a while at a L2 charger to make sure you can make it. The parameter that bothers me about this is the 3 day timeframe. It will take longer than you think. We did East Hampton to Tampa in 2 days and it wore us out. I think if you do it you're going to be in for some very long days.

If you're concerned, take a CHAdeMO adaptor with you. It's a bit sparse from Alabama west, however.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 83
Direct from Paramus, NJ to Austin, TX is 1,748 miles according to Google Maps. Going via I-95, I-85, and I-10 and Superchargers is 1,837 miles; Google Maps — NJ to Austin, TX via Superchargers!

Choosing between direct and 89 miles longer while you get to use Superchargers for the whole route; that is truly an easy decision...the extra drive time will be easily made up for with saved charge time and the worry free use of Superchargers. A lot of people don't realize how much more reliable a Supercharger Site is compared to a CHAdeMO charger.

Have fun!

NJ to TX.jpg

Last edited:
My experience is that 600 miles a day using Superchargers is fine, and not that physically taxing. I've driven days as long as 800 miles from Supercharger to Supercharger, solo: that makes for a very long day, but since you have to stop for 30 minutes or so every two or three hours and the driving itself is vibration-free, you aren't punished physically the way you would be driving a similar distance in an ICE.

600 miles per day is somewhat grueling in any car. If you could take 4 days instead of 3 it would be a lot more enjoyable trip.

GSP
everyone is different. I will usually go about 800 miles a day or so. during the charging breaks I usually walk around for the 30 minutes or so and find that getting out of the car and moving about helps with the fatigue issues.

- - - Updated - - -

if you follow cottonwoods advice your biggest gap is from Mobile AL-Baton Rouge LA, do a range charge and you will be just fine, time it so you have a meal for the 80 minutes it will probably take.

I've looked at the route via EV Trip Planner through New Orleans and the trip looks theoretically possible, however considering cold temperatures, there are some close calls in terms of range along the way.

if you follow cottonwoods advice your biggest gap is from Mobile AL-Baton Rouge LA, do a range charge and you will be just fine, time it so you have a meal for the 80 minutes it will probably take.

Rouses Market (since the plan is to go thru New Orleans) has not only a free CHAdeMO but a Tesla adapter to loan.

There's a stretch then from Lake Charles to N Houston but lots of RV parks too.