Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on installing the BlackVue DR750S-2Ch rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to install the rear camera and would like to know if anyone attached the camera to the plastic siding instead of the rear window. If yes, are you happy with the decision and is it holding fine on this surface. I am a little concerned of sticking the camera on the wire heater pellicle (potentially damaging the pellicle if/when removing the camera). I may also be purchasing a Rear Liftgate Sunshade and was wondering if the image quality of the camera installed on the plastic siding is greatly affected by the Sunshade.

I followed the norm and had my rear camera attached to the window. Only real issue I have experienced is that the tint on the Model X rear window darkens the picture for the rear camera making for poor quality. Not sure there is a fix for that since the tint is in the glass. Would be great to capture the picture from the vehicles rear camera, it provides a much better view.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP
Only real issue I have experienced is that the tint on the Model X rear window darkens the picture for the rear camera making for poor quality. Not sure there is a fix for that since the tint is in the glass. Would be great to capture the picture from the vehicles rear camera, it provides a much better view.
Have you tried to adjust the brightness of the feed for the rear camera to compensate for it?

I attached my rear camera to the plastic trim rather than the window and it has held on fine for three years.

I did that due to a) the defrost wires and b)visibility (you can't see the camera while driving) and c) I didn't want to stick it to the tint layer on the rear window. I have since removed and reapplied my front camera and using dental floss to cut the adhesive, it was not a problem to remove the camera from a tinted window.

Reactions: swgdan
I attached my rear camera to the plastic trim rather than the window and it has held on fine for three years.

I did that due to a) the defrost wires and b)visibility (you can't see the camera while driving) and c) I didn't want to stick it to the tint layer on the rear window. I have since removed and reapplied my front camera and using dental floss to cut the adhesive, it was not a problem to remove the camera from a tinted window.

Many thanks for sharing your experience. I will follow your advice and attach the camera to the plastic trim.