TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need Advice on Model 3 Scrape Issue

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by silentrider21, Oct 13, 2020.

1. silentrider21

silentrider21 Member

Hey Guys,

I’m moving into a new apartment in SF, and the car scrapes the concrete when getting in/out of the driveway. The only part that scrapes is the sides of the railing at the middle of the car. It does not appear that the entire bottom of the car is scraping, so I need about 1/4 inch of extra lift to clear it. The driveway starts flat with the sidewalk, then goes downward in a fairly steep manner. Unfortunately, the driveway is extremely narrow and I cannot go in or out at an angle. I have read that adding a curb bump may give the car enough lift to clear it. Any suggestions?

2. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

Used Model S with adjustable suspension and memory for driveway.

Change the suspension for a higher ride.

Change the rims / tires.

Have a skid plate installed, ala 4x4

Get a different apartment.

Park on the street.

Rent a different parking spot nearby and sub rent your spot at the complex.

Sorry but I don’t think any of the options are really what your asking for.

3. silentrider21

silentrider21 Member

Figured it would be nearly impossible to fix. Do you think it's worth buying two of these, which could potentially raise the car a bit as it goes over the initial slope?

2-Channel Guardian Cable Protector for 3.25

4. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

#4 jeremymc7, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Sorry yeah forgot. You always keep something in the car and put them on the driveway each (and every) time. Even a heavy duty board or steel plate. But I left off because it’s a real annoying. Rain. Curb water. Touching dirt with you hands.

Cheapest option, almost most annoying.

Don’t think you want the cable thing though. Looks too rigid and with daily back and worth it seems it would crack sooner rather than later.

• Like x 1
  5. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

• Like x 1
  6. silentrider21

silentrider21 Member

It'll be a hassle but seems like a solution worth trying. Thanks for the input!

7. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

Let us know what you get and how it works for you. Throw up a pic or two.

Best of luck.

8. KenC

KenC Active Member

Pics always help people visualize your problem. I'd consider putting some ready-made quikrete down.

• Like x 1
  9. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

Yes, pictures!
    It sounds like curb ramps won't help. Where are the wheels of the car when the scraping occurs (annotated pictures!).
    Is grinding down the offending concrete an option?

10. webbah

webbah Member

11. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Member

I have the same problem. Go SLOW and angle in and out. If I go in or out directly/straight the front lip will grind or the rear will. At an angle and at a very slow speed, it's fine. An adjustable suspension that knew home would be ideal.