Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice On Service Visit For Minor Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, the other day, my wife hit a curb in a parking lot with our 2017 Facelift MS. She mentioned it wasn't hard and didn't know what area of the car came in contact with the curb. She took a look and initially there didn't appear to be any damage, so she went on her way. When she got home, she went under the car to inspect and noticed that a plastic piece that was covering an opening was missing. Looks like it's a piece that was held on via pins and it was knocked off. She took two pictures with her phone that I've attached, a normal shot showing the plastic piece in another area and what the opening looks like with the plastic piece removed.

I've scheduled a trip to our service center for Thursday, but I was curious if this is something anybody else has had happen to them? Specifically:

1. What is the part name/area where the damage occurred?
2. Is it an easy to fix? Is this something I can order and do myself with not much effort/fixing experience, or something that my service center can fix quickly? How much will they charge?
3. Should be worried about driving the car prior to the appointment. The opening is pretty small, but I'm a bit worried about the area getting dirty and/or wildlife getting in there. As of now, we're not driving the car until our appointment in a few days. Are we being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Opening Missing Plastic Piece:
TeslaUnderCar_Pin_Missing.jpg

Same opening from another area on the car:
TeslaUnderCar_Pin_Normal.jpg

After I posted this, I got under the car and realized that the picture that my wife sent did not show the problem. I took a better picture (below). The plastic strip was bent/torn a bit and is hanging down. I pushed it back up and taped it down to hold for now so it doesn't fall off while I'm driving. Will have the SC look at it later today.

IMG_2866.JPG

If anyone is interested in the conclusion to this, the SC trimmed the hanging piece off. I asked if they could fasten it back with another rivet but there wasn't a space for a new rivet without replacing the entire strip. I could have had them replace it if I wanted (but they'd have to order the part). I elected not to because they said the piece is cosmetic and there's no danger to leaving it off.

Separately, I got a chance to see my first model 3 up close at the SC in the parking lot. It's a beauty.

Reactions: bonnie
If anyone is interested in the conclusion to this, the SC trimmed the hanging piece off. I asked if they could fasten it back with another rivet but there wasn't a space for a new rivet without replacing the entire strip. I could have had them replace it if I wanted (but they'd have to order the part). I elected not to because they said the piece is cosmetic and there's no danger to leaving it off.

Separately, I got a chance to see my first model 3 up close at the SC in the parking lot. It's a beauty.
Out of curiosity, what do they charge you for a fix like that? My driver side window grinds all the way up, and I’m wondering it’s it worth it to have Tesla do it themselves.

Are you under warranty? If so, it should be free. I'd definitely take it in. If not, I have no idea what something like that would cost. Call your SC and ask.

For my case, the inspection and the work trimming the plastic strip was free (goodwill). They did all that while I waited, in total I was there around 30 to 45 mins. The actual work was probably 5 to 10 minutes or less. They also added air to my tires, which I didn't request but appreciated. They probably could have charged something since the issue was my fault, but they didn't (GO TESLA!). I elected not to have them re-add another strip, but the tech at the SC mentioned that it would probably be $10 per strip. I'm not sure if they would have charged me any labor fee, but given my experience to date, I doubt it for something that quick/small.

Out of curiosity, what do they charge you for a fix like that? My driver side window grinds all the way up, and I’m wondering it’s it worth it to have Tesla do it themselves.