Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice on Totaled Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes:

My dad was cut off and t-boned earlier this year in his 2018 Model X P100D.

Here are pictures of the damage

Luckily no one was harmed in the accident.

He had the car evaluated at the local Authorized Body Shop. That shop told him the vehicle would need to be taken to their authorized structural frame repair shop. The Service King district manager from the structural shop happened to be in the body shop that day and took a look at the Model X. He told my dad that the impact to the frame had “moved" the left side frame slightly back and that the car frame was torqued. He was told that the structural shop would likely not be able to repair the vehicle, and even if they could, Tesla would never certify the car for use.

He really would like to get this car repaired, but it sounds like this will be impossible. He received an offer from CarBrain for $20,650, including coming to pick up the vehicle and tow it away and leave him with a cashiers check.

He has asked for my help in making sure this is the best offer he can get and that he isn't being taken to the cleaners by CarBrain.

Is the CarBrain offer super low, or is that about as good as he can get for the vehicle?

FYI the car has ~10,000 miles on it, the battery is undamaged and has been stored at 60% SOC and garaged since the incident. He has the original FOBs and title.

Thanks for any advice or guidance you can give.

You could post it on our local Craigslist and probably get 10 local offers by Sunday. Plenty of rebuilders in the Chicago Land area.

Maybe Rich Rebuilds?

I suppose it is also worth pointing out that you almost certainly DON'T HAVE A BRANDED TITLE! ! ! !

This GREATLY increases the price of the vehicle to a rebuilder as they can market the car to anyone once it is rebuilt. In theory this car would not need to be recertified by Tesla to gain supercharging again and so forth. I don't know how that will work out in real life, but a clear title goes a long way!

You could post it on our local Craigslist and probably get 10 local offers by Sunday. Plenty of rebuilders in the Chicago Land area.

Maybe Rich Rebuilds?

I suppose it is also worth pointing out that you almost certainly DON'T HAVE A BRANDED TITLE! ! ! !

This GREATLY increases the price of the vehicle to a rebuilder as they can market the car to anyone once it is rebuilt. In theory this car would not need to be recertified by Tesla to gain supercharging again and so forth. I don't know how that will work out in real life, but a clear title goes a long way!

I don't know about the legality of this, but it is clearly morally wrong to use a loophole to put back on the road a car that shouldn't be back on the road for safety reasons.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
You can sell it on Copart auto auction for much much more than 20K. You'd need to tow the car there, bring the title with you, and it costs $85 to run it through, up to 3 times. You can set a minimum bid price. I think that's the best option you have for selling it, *especially* if the title is still clean (not branded).

With a bent frame I'd be thinking a lot of work to repair it. The airbags deployed which is often the clue to salvage only. Since the parts are well sought after, I'd go the part it out route. The battery, if undamaged, will probably be the bulk of the revenue. The only outlay would be dismantling time and effort which is easier than repair! Just my 5¢ worth!

Who's insurance was the claim on. Was he at fault. There is way more value there than just 20k. Have you considered ebay? From the looks of the damage it looks like he may have tboned someone.

Last edited:

Maybe Rich Rebuilds?

Airbags deployed so Tesla knows there was an accident and probably disabled supercharging.