Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on what to do about body shop repairing my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my accident over a week ago, my car has been at Euro Pros in Gaithersburg, MD for 8 days and they've kept me totally in the dark. Aside from asking to me to sign a contract authorizing them to do the repairs last Wednesday, which I did immediately, there's been no communication from them of any kind. When I called them a week ago, they basically brushed me off with a "we'll let you know when we have news." IMHO this is rotten customer service and can't be standard practice. As Tesla customer service recommended EurroPros as an authorized body shop, I think I should file a complaint with Tesla. Opinions?

Complaining about communication with a company that is currently having trouble communicating.......... Hmmmm. I'd say that if you are not happy, take your business elsewhere. I have seen fantastic results from non-tesla approved shops and I am really picky!! Just make sure that they do not over heat the car when curing paint, and leave it plugged in whenever possible.

Complaining about communication with a company that is currently having trouble communicating.......... Hmmmm. I'd say that if you are not happy, take your business elsewhere. I have seen fantastic results from non-tesla approved shops and I am really picky!! Just make sure that they do not over heat the car when curing paint, and leave it plugged in whenever possible.

Thanks Lloyd. I'm kind of ticked off with Tesla as I had my own body shop in mind, which they discouraged me from using. I know my shop would have been on the phone with me every day.

It is not uncommon for tesla approved shops to take advantage of their status. I went to a non-approved shop for some scratch repair and saved both time and money. Mostly money.

I would definitely let Nathen in Rockville know of this. They only recently included this new body shop in their approved list. If good customer service were not amount their criteria they should know about it. If it were part of their criteria, they should know about it.

Regarding the shop itself I would tell them you have options and if you do not hear from them by COB tomorrow you will remove your authorization to repair your vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Amount = a part

I would definitely let Nathen in Rockville know of this. They only recently included this new body shop in their approved list. If good customer service were not amount their criteria they should know about it. If it were part of their criteria, they should know about it.

Regarding the shop itself I would tell them you have options and if you do not hear from them by COB tomorrow you will remove your authorization to repair your vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Amount = a part

I'll call Nathan tomorrow. if I don't get satisfactory answers I'm going to have it flat-bedded to the body shop I preferred in the first place. As far as I'm concerned both Tesla and EuroPros have totally dropped the ball on this one. My car has disappeared into a black hole.

I can tell you I was happy with the Tesla approved shop in Annapolis. It took them about to get all the parts from Tesla, but they kept me informed throughout, and ensured my car was charged. I also toured the shop before giving them my car (my car was still drivable) and was impressed with it.

I won't go into all the details but when my car first arrived at the Service Center on initial delivery it had transport damage. Tesla sent it to the "authorized" body shop for repair. It came back unfinished. It was sent back. It came back later than promised. When I finally got it, I immediately took it to my detail shop for protectant and sealant. My detailer wanted to know who had been painting on the car and why they had left so much overspray on it. I sent an email to the SvcC and to Tesla Regional. I got an email from the SvcC but heard nothing from Tesla Regional. I was VERY unimpressed and disappointed with how this was handled. I absolutely LOVE my car but I have far fewer warm fuzzies with regard to Tesla.

I'll call Nathan tomorrow. if I don't get satisfactory answers I'm going to have it flat-bedded to the body shop I preferred in the first place. As far as I'm concerned both Tesla and EuroPros have totally dropped the ball on this one. My car has disappeared into a black hole.

That would be my vote...or at least the threat of the same. Perhaps a call saying: "Hello, please don't do any further work on my vehicle, if you've started. I am having it flat bedded to another shop since your doesn't seem to be able to provide me with adequate updates. I'll let you know the arrival time for the flatbed and be there to approve it."

I suspect it'll get escalated pretty quickly and, if you're satisfied, you can leave it there, if not, then proceed with plan A.

I heard from the body shop this morning in response to an email I sent to them last night expressing my dissatisfaction. The assessment of the damage was completed this morning and my insurer will receive the write up today, so I'm feeling much better about all of this. Here's what needs to be replaced/repaired:

-both headlights
-front bumper and lower spoiler (carbon wrapped)
-nose panel and chrome trim
-lower bumper grille
-front bumper reinforcement
-hood and latch assy
-front nose interior trim panel (carbon wrapped)
-aluminum radiator support assy
-left fender liner
-radiator duct
-left a/c condenser duct
-left electrical open/close grille assy

Also the left fender has some scratches that will need to be repaired.

I'll get the costs of all of this later today. I don't know yet how long it will take to do all of this but I've asked that question and I'm awaiting a response.

I can tell you I was happy with the Tesla approved shop in Annapolis. It took them about to get all the parts from Tesla, but they kept me informed throughout, and ensured my car was charged. I also toured the shop before giving them my car (my car was still drivable) and was impressed with it.

+1 for the Annapolis shop. Had my front bumper repainted and they did a nice job. They were advertising their relationship with Tesla and took it seriously.

i've been asking myself the same question. Taking a full week to assess the damage to a car is obviously one standard:wink:

Tough spot to be in, without your car for so long, so I definitely feel for you. But to be fair, that week spanned Christmas so some down time on their part is to be expected. Hopefully now with the holiday past they'll pick up the pace again.

Tough spot to be in, without your car for so long, so I definitely feel for you. But to be fair, that week spanned Christmas so some down time on their part is to be expected. Hopefully now with the holiday past they'll pick up the pace again.

True that Tesla has down time. My USAA rep told me he understood that the factory would be closed for inventory next week and that would delay shipping of some of the needed parts. Amazing that USAA has this intelligence.