Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice - problem at service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I received my Model 3 on 7/6 and luckily I brought my nephew who spotted a few visible problems at the delivery center in Costa Mesa. There was a small chip on the glass over the driver seat, a small dent on the right A pillar , paint overspray on the driver side view mirror and the passenger side mirror was not attached properly so it’s a little loose. I also complained my Model 3 was losing up to 10 miles of charge over night.

I was scheduled to bring my Model 3 for service repairs on 7/27 at the Buena Park service center.

I use an app called TezLab. It actually tracks all trips and usage of my Model 3. I just happened to check my TezLab app and discovered my Model 3 was driven for 10 minutes for a distance of 4.8 miles at 7:40AM. I googled the Buena Park Service Center hours and they open at 9AM on Mondays.

I don’t want to be a D!@K but WTF!?! Why would anyone drive my car at 7:40AM that would be “work or service related?!?” I suspect someone used my car for an early morning coffee or food run. I’m not happy about this and am trying to not be a D!@K when I call them tomorrow. Any suggestions from my fellow Tesla owners?!?

Thank you for any advice you may have for me.

Maybe they were driving it off-site for the body repair shop? If the place opens at 9am to the public, workers would definitely be showing up earlier than that to get the day started

Thanks for your response. The thing is, it wasn’t left at a body shop. The car returned to the service center 10 minutes later, at 7:50AM. Unfortunately, my car has not been moved since 7/30. Hope this repair won’t take forever.

OP your car is not the most special thing in the world they are servicing 100s of cars and deliverijng greater volume...how sure were you on previous cars serviced that this also didn’t happen ..?

Thanks for your response. The thing is, it wasn’t left at a body shop. The car returned to the service center 10 minutes later, at 7:50AM. Unfortunately, my car has not been moved since 7/30. Hope this repair won’t take forever.
I'm not wise in the ways of autobody repair but could 10 minutes be enough to assess the paint repair required, to be scheduled in the future when they have room?

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy
Hello. I received my Model 3 on 7/6 and luckily I brought my nephew who spotted a few visible problems at the delivery center in Costa Mesa. There was a small chip on the glass over the driver seat, a small dent on the right A pillar , paint overspray on the driver side view mirror and the passenger side mirror was not attached properly so it’s a little loose. I also complained my Model 3 was losing up to 10 miles of charge over night.

I was scheduled to bring my Model 3 for service repairs on 7/27 at the Buena Park service center.

I use an app called TezLab. It actually tracks all trips and usage of my Model 3. I just happened to check my TezLab app and discovered my Model 3 was driven for 10 minutes for a distance of 4.8 miles at 7:40AM. I googled the Buena Park Service Center hours and they open at 9AM on Mondays.

I don’t want to be a D!@K but WTF!?! Why would anyone drive my car at 7:40AM that would be “work or service related?!?” I suspect someone used my car for an early morning coffee or food run. I’m not happy about this and am trying to not be a D!@K when I call them tomorrow. Any suggestions from my fellow Tesla owners?!?

While it's possible that they open for customers at 9:00 AM, service staff might start their shifts earlier in the morning. 7:00 AM is not an unreasonable time for someone to start work. It's plausible that they took your vehicle for a test drive as a routine part of the service procedure.

While it's possible that they open for customers at 9:00 AM, service staff might start their shifts earlier in the morning. 7:00 AM is not an unreasonable time for someone to start work. It's plausible that they took your vehicle for a test drive as a routine part of the service procedure.

That is definitely possible. This is why I posted this thread. Thank you for your advice.

I’ve heard that recently. I will drop Tezlab after I get my car back. Thank you.

I don' t think it is easily tell when someone is using 3rd party app to access the mobile data from the Tesla. So they may have came up with this brilliant idea of "not disabling mobile access" and drive it around for a bit very early in the day and see if you will call in to complain. If you do, then they could check off the losing 10 miles overnight as "customer using unapproved 3rd party app." :p

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and Big Earl
OP,

I used to worry about these things when I was younger - techs driving my cars hard or driving it to get lunch, etc. As I got older, I learned not to care. It’s a car. If they cause a problem, they’re responsible to fix it. If it smells like McDonalds when I pick it up, I’ll complain.

I also learned dropping a 12 pack of soda or bag of chips in the car for the techs goes a long way.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

I doubt the trip was someone driving your car. More likely it was you driving another car or getinga ride. Tezlab uses your cell phone to track you, not the cars GPS.

Here is an extract from the Tezlab FAQ page

"
For instance, once you download and run the TezLab on your phone, we look to see if your phone is moving at a 5-minute interval.

If we notice your phone is moving, we gently ping the car to see if the car is in the drive state. We do this automatically so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket and hit a button that says, 'start a trip'.

From there, we look at your phone and plot your car on the road. How you choose to share your trip is up to you. You can follow your friends on TezLab and share all the statistics or, keep everything private."