Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice -- Tesla updated software on my 2013 Model S, Now im being forced into pricey Infotainment upgrade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with @dmurphy should be only $1750 plus tax. I just had mine done on my 2012 P85.

Go into "additional vehicle information". What is listed under "Infotainment Processor"?

Possible steps: (1) go into trips and reset (erase) all trip history and (2) do steering wheel reset.

Lastly, IMO, the MCU2 upgrade is a bargain and night and day from the MCU1 in terms of screen clarity, speed, added streaming services, etc. Remember the $1750 includes both middle and dash screen replacements. Labor is included. For $1750 you just bought a new high end laptop. Getting MCU2 upgrade
Ok thats good to know. Is it worth it for a car with 150K Miles though? Im assuming a replacement Drive unit will also be in my future if i keep the car. Thx ill check out "Additional Vehicle Info" now
Agree with @dmurphy should be only $1750 plus tax. I just had mine done on my 2012 P85.

Go into "additional vehicle information". What is listed under "Infotainment Processor"?

Possible steps: (1) go into trips and reset (erase) all trip history and (2) do steering wheel reset.

Lastly, IMO, the MCU2 upgrade is a bargain and night and day from the MCU1 in terms of screen clarity, speed, added streaming services, etc. Remember the $1750 includes both middle and dash screen replacements. Labor is included. For $1750 you just bought a new high end laptop. Getting MCU2 upgrade
Looks like its the Nvidia Tegra. I'll ask service again about the cost but they did just quote me $2500 and Thank you for clarifying that it includes both screens. Yea ive done the steering wheel reset many times but good idea to reset trip history. Thx again

Reactions: NV Ray
It doesn't answer the entire question, but I believe that should be a $1750 upgrade and not $2500 for a vehicle prior to Autopilot 2.0 ...

See here: Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support

Doesn't solve the question but hopefully that eases the blow a bit.
Hey i checked that page, they're saying its $1750 plus tax if you currently HAVE Autopilot. It's $2250 plus tax looks like. So yea roughly $2500 :(

It's not out of line, but life throws you curveballs. Situations change, sometimes on the turn of a dime. Frankly, none of my business how or why - just trying to suggest some things that may soften the hit a little. Good housekeeping (i.e. delete trip meters like @NV Ray recommended, deleting nav history) are free and easy to do. Getting the price down to $1,750 instead of $2,500 helps too.
Upon further reading i believe I can confirm that the 1750 price is only for Autopilot enabled cars.. Agreed life DEF throws you curveballs o_O

This was originally a $100,000 vehicle. I’m not sure when OP bought it or how much they paid, but a $1,750 maintenance is not out of line after 10 years.

And you don’t *have* to do it. The vehicle is still fully operational.

If I were you, I would sell the car. What is your plan when the battery or drive unit fail?
This is the question of the year for me. I believe blue book currently has my S at around $17,000. My plan for the drive unit was to buy a used one and have a 3rd party shop install it for me, Ive estimated this to be roughly $5500 (please correct me if Im wrong) vs $8000 for a new one from Tesla . Regarding the battery pack, when that goes I'll be totally upside down. So this question is weighing on me heavily right now. But to sell the car i HAVE to do the infotainment upgrade which ive confirmed is $2250 plus tax (roughly $2500 out the door). It's probably what i have to do..

Btw i bought the car for $27,500 off my friend, so it was he that actually bore the brunt of the devaluation

Hey i checked that page, they're saying its $1750 plus tax if you currently HAVE Autopilot. It's $2250 plus tax looks like. So yea roughly $2500 :(

Upon further reading i believe I can confirm that the 1750 price is only for Autopilot enabled cars.. Agreed life DEF throws you curveballs o_O

No, you are reading it wrong:

This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles.

So cars with no AP, AP1, or AP3 computer it only costs $1,750. It is only vehicles with the AP2.0 or AP2.5 computer that it costs $2,250.

I can upgrade everything on a 2000-2005 lancer evo
Did you ever have the memory replaced on the car? There was a recall for that years ago. If you haven't had that done yet, then it should help speed things up. There have been a lot of software updates over the past 10 years though so the infotainment upgrade would probably worth it if you plan on keeping the car for several more years.
Ship of Theseus

OP just wants a cost efficient way of keeping his car optimally operational. I'm in the "Clear the cache / Factory reset" camp. I tend to do that with gadgets that have a memory - smartphones, tablets, PCs, etc.

So I have a 2013 S, and I've noticed in the last few years that every software update has made the cars OS slower and slower. Recently we brought it in to service for other reasons and they updated the software while it was there. Now the computer can take up to 2 or 3 minutes to start every time we get in to drive. I went back to service and asked them to reinstall an older OS, a version that perhaps a 2013 is better equipped to handle... and they are refusing to do it. They are pushing me to do the $2500 infotainment upgrade and I just simply can't afford that anytime in the near future. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Im feeling like a company that I used to love just stabbed me in the back. Ugh its such a terrible feeling. I really dont understand why they would push a software update on me that makes my car undriveable.. Anyway, any advice?
Reset your car computer. I did this a year ago and the system felt faster after I did the reset. I had to contact tesla service to relink my free streaming music.