Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[need advice] used model S purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to this forum. Please be kind if I make an inappropriate question.

I have purchased a USED 2016 (mid-year) Model S 75. Free lifetime supercharging.

When I went to pick up the vehicle the car had about 1800 more miles then the screenshot I took of the purchase online.

The car also had deep scratches and a dent in the rear bumper and wheel well and matte paint spray on the quarter panel, bumper and rear door.

The service advisor received authorization to have Tesla service fix the damage (They will not provide a new bumper only repair the existing bumper). However, I would have to accept delivery of the vehicle and then schedule the repairs with Tesla Service (I have their commitment to fix it via email)

My question: has anyone had an experience like this? Buying a vehicle from tesla and then having them make repairs after the fact? I worry what if the repair doesn't look right and I now own the car.

I appreciate any opinions and comments.

thank you

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
(1) Get it in writing. They will not honor anything which is not in writing. Hard copy is even better than email.
(2) Expect them to delay the repairs for a really long time. If they promise it in writing, they will get it done eventually... emphasis on eventually, however.

This is why it's better to buy used Teslas private-party rather than from Tesla.

Reactions: AMPd
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family.

You have that in writing, they will make it right by you. Don't sweat it.

Don't be so sure. There's a thread in the Tesla discussion forum (I think) where the dude finally got his due bill in writing but when he went in to get it fixed the manager suddenly decided that he wasn't entitled to it and removed it from the due bill.

Don't be so sure. There's a thread in the Tesla discussion forum (I think) where the dude finally got his due bill in writing but when he went in to get it fixed the manager suddenly decided that he wasn't entitled to it and removed it from the due bill.
I can only speak from my own experience - and a handful of people I help to get their hands on Tesla (new or used). Every situation was different and there is no denial that most involved some doze of frustration or unexpected complications. Time and time again, Tesla made it whole by people and compensated for their frustration. YMMV.

mine had a decent size dent in the rear passenger side quarter panel. It was not in the pictures they sent me at all. they showed the curb rash on the wheels but left out the damage on the quarter panel. I picked up in ATL (Live in Columbus). Car was in awesome shape otherwise. They wrote up a due bill and i was able to have it taken care of at my local Tesla Service center. took about 2 weeks when I dropped it off and they sent it out for repair but it was an awesome job.

If you have a due bull, you just schedule with the service center and they do the repair. they didnt need to replace my quarter panel or bumper, but did have to replace a bracket and a few sensors that were damaged. When I picked up I asked what it would have cost to repair if i paid out of pocket, they said it was between 4500 and 5000$ repair. Worth it they did an awesome job. before and after pictures attached. They even gave me a loaner, a P90D, talk about a fun car from my 85D :)

Attachments

• 20190613_065734.jpg
    20190613_065734.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190710_084542.jpg
    20190710_084542.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: arcus
mine had a decent size dent in the rear passenger side quarter panel. It was not in the pictures they sent me at all. they showed the curb rash on the wheels but left out the damage on the quarter panel. I picked up in ATL (Live in Columbus). Car was in awesome shape otherwise. They wrote up a due bill and i was able to have it taken care of at my local Tesla Service center. took about 2 weeks when I dropped it off and they sent it out for repair but it was an awesome job.

If you have a due bull, you just schedule with the service center and they do the repair. they didnt need to replace my quarter panel or bumper, but did have to replace a bracket and a few sensors that were damaged. When I picked up I asked what it would have cost to repair if i paid out of pocket, they said it was between 4500 and 5000$ repair. Worth it they did an awesome job. before and after pictures attached. They even gave me a loaner, a P90D, talk about a fun car from my 85D :)

Wow, that would've cost 5K?!

Wow, that would've cost 5K?!
Yeah that was a bit higher that i thought but they said it involved about 900$ in parts, plus labor and paint. I learned with my last car (Cadillac ATS) to be amazed at car repair costs, had a car accident with it that damaged front bumper. (older lady pulled out into intersection and I t-boned her car at about 10mph). $13,800 later the damage was fixed on a car that only had 900 miles on it.