Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice: used P85 vs new 70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im in the exact same boat with this question. I plan on buying in the next 6 months or so. My main concern is the maintenance issues that seem to have happened much more on the earlier production runs. So, my advice is that if you go CPO, pay attention to the production number, and stick to as late of a number as you can.

I personally need UHF sound system and Smart Susp. and pano. Im also ok with the standard 85. I have found an 85 with those 3 features for 70k, and a P85 with those features for 72.9k. A new 70 with the same features (and nothing else) goes for 69k, after the fed tax credit. It is very important to note that buying the CPO 85s will usually get you a couple extra features, which you may not care about or need, but it will, if nothing else, help your resell value.

-

My main concern is the maintenance issues that seem to have happened much more on the earlier production runs. So, my advice is that if you go CPO, pay attention to the production number, and stick to as late of a number as you can.
-

Just want to share my experience on this. My production number is 01226 (2012) and the car has had almost no issues. A co-worker has a 1 month old 70D and has already had some main screen issues. I think it's a mixed bag and just don't know what you are going to get. Very happy with the car!

Bought a 2013 Tesla Model S 85 via CPO program one month ago. Posted detailed account of our experiences on the forum, search my posts for those.

Summary : 3500 km in our first few weeks with one big road trip on superchargers, and many smaller 200+ km trips.
Car now has > 60000 km and is a dream to drive and own.

Tesla has taken very good care of us so far.

Test drove a 70D today. Have previously driven 85 RWD, P85, 85D, and ridden in a P85D. For me, coming from a 6 cyl E320 Benz, the 70D is plenty -- lots of power at highway speeds, no concern about passing ability. So unless you are the type that always wants the biggest motor with the maximum HP, 70D should be sufficient. But it is solely a matter of personal choice -- I have been on the horns of the same dilemma you are, and in fact might have bought an inventory 85 if there had been one with the features I wanted. But there never seemed to be (tried 3 or 4 times). And this way I am getting the latest features and exactly what I want.

Great thread. A lot of people have the same question right now I think. For me it would be replacing a BMW 535xi, so another 5 second car. It would also be primarily around the town and short trip commuting car, we also have a large SUV for family trips. I was thinking of a stripped down 70, with a possibility of the autopilot option but probably nothing else. My commute is only 5 miles one way and if i wasn't taking the kids to school on the way I would probably bike it a few days a week. There are some green CPOs out there that make me consider them. Have had two green cars in the past and loved the color.

Just want to share my experience on this. My production number is 01226 (2012) and the car has had almost no issues. A co-worker has a 1 month old 70D and has already had some main screen issues. I think it's a mixed bag and just don't know what you are going to get. Very happy with the car!

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to get folks to put their prod numbers along with their posts in the sticky maintenance thread. I would hope your experience is the norm.

Ready to make my first Tesla purchase but trying to decide between a used 2013/14 85 vs a new 70 ---with the tax credit would be about the same dollars. Any advice? Like the new warranty and options. Next question, if going to be in AZ most of the time, is there a benefit to go to the 70D? General advice and experience would be appreciated as I make the leap I have been looking forward to the last couple years.
Would it be possible to wait a little while and try and find a P85 or 85D with autopilot that came in as a service loaner or CPO? That to me is the best of all worlds. It might take a few more months, but this is what I would do if I were in the market.